Officially no series 8 in 2013

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Samurai8472, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

^^ Well, everyone's going on about being able to be surprised. :)

2. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

As I said, I heard there was to be a live episode as well. That was a while back now, so dunno if it's still the plan.

Of course, he may mean either that there'll be more anniversary stuff in 2014 - sincenov 23rd is actually the *start* of the anniversary - or that the special will be 61 minutes long...

3. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Was anything really officially announced? I thought all our info was just coming off of a placard at a toy fair or something.

In any event, I thought it was a pretty cool interview with Moffat. And to be honest... but I kinda have to agree with him about the Ice Warriors.

They've got a really badass name, and their concept is a good one, but I always thought their design and execution left a LOT to be desired. Even by old-school DW standards.

4. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A placard from BBC Worldwide. If they don't know what's going on, there are bigger problems at hand in the BBC...

5. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's sort of my point: if there is more, then they presumably have a Clever Plan for Timetabled Announcements.
    But in the meantime, other info is being put together and disappointment is building.
    If there is more, they're sticking to their plan, and ignoring the thing that always messes up plans: "Events, dear boy, events." Or "Life is what happens while you're making plans."

6. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Commander Red Shirt

There's going to be the docudrama and the christmas episode too.

7. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

That's true. However, the docudrama was listed on the Toy Fair placard, and the Christmas episode airs after the Christmas shopping season ends and so would be of no interest to retailers when they make their buying decisions.

8. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

Hmm. If there is more as a surprise, I think it'll be worked into the regular schedule. Maybe a two-parter with the Christmas special and/or a continuation into Season 8. As opposed to adding more specials into the time between seasons 7 & 8.

Yeah, I think it's better to build up the excitement and give an idea of what to expect (like Big Finish) than to say nothing. People start to assume the worst!

Mr Awe.

9. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I agree and disagree in equal measure when it comes to the Ice Warriors. Having just watched the Seeds of Death I'd agree that the soldier IWs definitely need a makeover. Slaar, the Ice Lord, on the other hand, I thought that was a great look which wouldn't need much in the way of updating.

10. Atticus

Atticus Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Where did you hear that?

11. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So just seen an interview with JLC where she confirms that Matt Smith will be away in America for three months shooting his film, so it'll be August before they make the Christmas Special and at least September before they start shooting any of Series 8. (And that's assuming they don't need any more breaks to let Moffat finish his scripts.)

12. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So... fall 2014, it looks like. Or another spring/fall split.

13. StCoop

I would hope the latter.

The sad thing is they'll have only shot ONE episode in EIGHT months, during what was originally claimed was going to be the longest period of continuous production since the series came back.

There'll be a really good book in this one day, many years from now.

14. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Even if Matt Smith did want to leave, there's no way they could film any specials for him.

It would have to be after Fall 2014 once series 8 is over. It could be the 2014 Christmas special.

15. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

I forget, it was months ago, last summer

16. StCoop

17. chardman

chardman Vice Admiral In Memoriam

Well, a placard from BBC Worldwide informing toy dealers of air-dates that they felt were important to toy dealers, and not informing them of a possible whole slew of (possible) additional air-dates that may have been omitted from that placard because the PR folks at BBC Worldwide didn't feel they were at all pertinent to toy release schedules.

Not revealing a lot on unnecessary information to toy manufacturers and retailers in NOT a sign of "bigger problems at hand in the BBC", or that "they don't know what's going on", but a sign that everything is exactly as it has ever been at the Beeb, as it sounds pretty much like their SOP, particularly where DW is concerned.

18. StCoop

Well, since they won't be shooting anything that isn't the Anniversary or Christmas Special until September at the earliest, if there is anything left unannounced it's not actual Doctor Who.

19. chardman

chardman Vice Admiral In Memoriam

But I'm talking about the anniversary. I think it'll be comprised of more than one episode. It'd be important for toy dealers to know the date of the first of these, and not necessarily at all important that they know anything more than that about the Anniversary Episodes or their air-dates, so why announce it to them on a placard?

20. StCoop

The one they've only got 4-6 weeks to shoot in, in real 3D, which Moffat admits will slow things down. It takes them 2.5 weeks to shoot a regular 45 minute episode as it is.