Farscape... I am liking this series...

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Joerib, Jul 5, 2012.

1. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I think it already did.

2. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

In Region One, it's already available. Just note that the picture quality is not 1080p -- but it is slightly better than NTSC video.

3. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh, I will have to check it out, the version on Netflix is horrible quality.

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Whatever happened to the webseries they were talking about? I was looking at the comics after I made my other post, and the first description talks about the comics setting up the upcoming webseries?

5. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

The funding they had set up fell apart during the economic collapse. I haven't heard anything since. Future Farscape projects seem unlikely, but you never know.

6. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

The Blu-ray version was upconverted from the PAL (625i50) tapes, and doesn't look significantly better than the PAL DVDs. It should be higher quality than NTSC, though. However, the Blu-ray of the PKW miniseries apparently looks like shit. I'd stay away from that.

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ah. I know when the final big arc of the comics ended, they seemed to be promoting it as the end of the entire Farscape story.

8. Kosh Naranek

Kosh Naranek Captain Captain

I love Farscape. It is one of my favorite series of all time. It is up there with DS9 and Babylon 5.

I think I shall go home tonight and pull out the DVDs. This thread makes me want to see Sparky and the gang in action.

Since Blu-ray is not that much better. I may hold onto my DVDs. Those things did not come cheap.

9. IcecreamLtDan

IcecreamLtDan Captain Captain

Still my all time favorite show, glad to see people enjoying it after all these years. I wish it would come back, but that ships probably sailed at this point. One can always hope though, it's a shame I never see any of the cast in anything else. Talyn....Starburst!! is stil heart rendering to me this day.

10. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've just started rewatching it for the first time from the beginning.

First thoughts:

- Wow, Claudia Black looks so young.

- It's really refreshing to see so much color

11. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

Mmmm, I watched the first series or two, but it failed to gel with me. I may have to try again.

The thing about Farscape is, the like of us get it, because we're into SF. But the people who originally made it (Channel Nine in Australia) wanted a big mainstream success, because Nine is always, always chasing the big bucks, and this show was so far out there the audience soon fell away. If it had been closer to a ST type show, it may have been on longer.

12. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ah, but then it wouldn't have been special.

13. Sysyphyx

Sysyphyx Lieutenant Red Shirt

l've never seen it, but l blind-bought the first season on blu-ray a while back. l'm hoping its gonna be good, but from what l hear it has a lot of Muppet action. Hmmm...:confused:

14. Peacemaker

Peacemaker Vice Admiral Admiral

For some reason it didn't gel with me until the late first season. Give it time.

15. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It does not have Muppet action. It has action by animatronic characters that were created and designed by the Jim Henson Muppet Company. That's a very different thing.

And if you give it even a little bit of a chance, you will see that those animatronic characters are better performed and more interesting than half the flesh-and-blood characters on some other shows I could name. In fact, by at least the end of the first season and probably a lot sooner, you won't even notice they are animatronic characters anymore.

16. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

4 years is a fairly decent run, shame TPTB decided to cancel the fifth season after they said they were going to do one. We eventually got Peackeeper Wars to round out the story.

17. Sysyphyx

Sysyphyx Lieutenant Red Shirt

Sweet. l didn't mean to seem so disconcerted about the "muppet action". l'm actually a big fan of animatronics and old-school effects, and would prefer these over any sort of CGI type assiness. Gonna have to check this out soon.

18. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes you quickly overlook the puppet aspect and come to admire the characters for being far more visually interesting and multi-faceted than soooo many bumpy-headed aliens. The show also has more female characters than most of its contemporaries so it scores points there too. They also throw quite a few curveballs at you throughout the shows run too.

My main criticism is the amount of unnecessary shouting Ben Browder does. If I was Dargo I'd have shot him during season one.

They have a fairly decent cast but maybe a few more recurring characters would have given them some more cannon-fodder like in NuBSG.

Overall though it was a hugely enjoyable ride.

19. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's funny how often the animatronic puppets get brought up with Farscape and yet people give a pass to all the half-assed unconvincing CG out there.

20. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

I'd heard the story was channel 9 heard "puppets" and thought they were getting a kids show.

And when show aired they just didn't know what to do with it.

But probably hte biggest travesty was the cuts the bastards made to show in a G rated time slot which were pretty brutal.