Do you like the Spock Prime "Phone a friend" scene?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agenda, Oct 6, 2013.

?

Did you like the Spock Prime scene?

1. Liked it

35 vote(s)
    51.5%
  2. Didn't like it

33 vote(s)
    48.5%
  1. Agenda

Agenda Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Oh the poor poor TPTB. Why can't us damn fans just stfu and uncritically lap up everything they deem to give us?

2. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes, that's exactly what I'm suggesting. :rolleyes:

3. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Unlike anyone else who has ever worked on Trek? (Or any other TV show, film, play, album, etc for that matter.)

4. Harbinger

Harbinger Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

It's always nice to see Nimoy again. I think he wanted to appear but I'm going to guess he probably has health problems and probably can't appear "live" for too long. I've noticed he had very short parts or 'phoned in' scenes in the latter parts of Fringe also.

I'm going with "like" on this. I think this should probably be the last Spock cameo, however. I'm sure the next movie will feature a cameo from someone else (my wild guess is going to be Stewart).

5. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I can't say I cared for it. It was just forced and really didn't add anything beyond shoehorning a Nimoy scene into the plot and providing exposition on how badass Khan is as if the scene where he kicked Klingon ass didn't establish that.

6. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, that's generally how it works for every single thing in the universe, yeah. Fans aren't a monolithic entity with a singular opinion. They're millions of different people who like and dislike different things.

7. DonIago

My point is that some people say TPTB should have done A instead of B, implying that A would have received wider approval than B, when the likelihood is that the only thing that would have changed would have been the nature of the complaints.

NuSpock contacts PrimeSpock = a contrived, cheap cameo
    NuSpock doesn't contact PrimeSpock = NuSpock has this unique resource that might be able to provide insight and he's -not- using it?

8. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Which is exactly why it should've been a clean reboot. Having that tie to the prime universe cheapens the whole new universe.

9. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes of course I like it, who would have thought we would get one last chance to see Nimoy as Spock?

10. DonIago

Except that a lot of people like the idea that the timeline diverged from what it was "supposed" to be. Myself included.

11. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I disagree with that. I think people would just assume that Spock Prime is trying to prevent future knowledge from influencing this new timeline, so he's keeping everything he knows to himself. Temporal Prime Directive.

12. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

And even with a clean reboot some people would complain about how it was done..that it went too far or not far enough or whatever. Whatever approach TBTB took there would be people complaining about it. In the end TPTB should tell the tale they way they see best and let the chips fall where they may.

13. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    The two options are too extreme. I didn't mind, but I would've prefered if they had steered clear of Spock Prime after ST09.

14. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Just what useful information could Old Spock have given him?

"His pattern seems to suggest 2-dimensional thinking. Now does that help you in any way?"

"He has a temper problem and can be easily riled up. Oh, just like you."

"We beat him by shooting his ship to pieces. Like he just did with yours."

"We gave him Phasers instead of Genesis! Give him torpedoes instead of torpedoes!"

15. Agenda

"His secret weapon is babies. If he's got a baby onboard, the scene will be deleted to get a lower rating. So watch out for babies."

16. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It seemed pretty lazy. And I found it out of character that Spock regarded Khan as the greatest threat they ever faced. I don't think that from a logical standpoint, that's particularly true.

17. Agenda

Too extreme? Good thing I didn't ask "Love it" or "Hate it" or you'd be reporting me to a mod. ;)

18. Marten

Marten Captain Captain

He might have had a lapse in logic, considering Khan killed him. The human side, and all that.

19. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Pure fan service. Would the writers have written a scene in which he contacts Prime-Spock about a bad guy called Nebulon or somthing?

nu-Spock "Hey, did you ever run into Nebulon?"
    prime-Spock "No."
    nu-Spock "Oh."
    prime-Spock "..."

20. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Indeed. nuSpock only phoned OldSpock because he watched TWOK and knew OldSpock had met him. "4th wall breach imminent, Captain!"