Family is thinking about moving to Republic of Macedonia (FYROM)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Kenbushway, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

It also shouldn't take you 30 hours to get there, even with stops.

2. Mooch

Mooch Commodore Commodore

This seems like the worst idea ever. Are you sure this "friend" isn't just trying to steal all your money?

3. smiki

smiki Captain Captain

As someone from Serbia (born here and lived here all my life), a country right next door to Macedonia, and on a roughly comparable level to Macedonia albeit a fair bit better, I also don't really recommend this move, to be frank with you. And this isn't even only because of Macedonia/the Balkans in particular.

You're essentially planing to move half across the planet, without any kind of backup plan or proper safety funds, prior experience with such huge changes nor prior first hand knowledge of the destination or knowing the local language. It sounds kinda like a risky move and what for? Your primal motivation is kinda flawed. It's economic and Macedonia's economy is far worse than the USA's. Yeah, you could probably "swap" your US house for a bigger one in Macedonia or use that extra money to invest in your business but after that starting money runs out you're essentially stuck in Macedonia and its lousy economy and foreign culture. I don't really see the benefit. Unless you're the adventurous type.

I wouldn't go as far as saying it's a 3rd world country, but dependent on your expectations, it could definitely end up feeling like one.

I mean, in some ways it's even better than the US, for example the violent crime rate/homicide rate per capita is lower than the US average, and definitely lower, roughly 3-4 times than in Georgia, your state (which then again doesn't really mean much :p ), and the corruption perception is roughly the same as in Italy (not really a role model in that regard to be honest though :p ), but at the same time look at the GDP per capita (adjusted for the cost of living i.e. purchasing power - PPP). Not what you're used to.

And as a rough estimate of the level of development of the country look at the HDI index - adjusted for inequality (life expectancy, education, income) Not bad, but not great.

I mean, it's Europe, with all its europeness and what not. It's not Somalia. Better than all of Asia, Africa, South and Central America, together in the group with N. America, Austr/NZ and Europe. Just... among the poorest Europe has to offer.

And let me put it like this. Most people here from the Balkans are trying to move abroad to Canada or Sweden or whatever. You're the rare opposite case. Just seems illogical. If you planed it out well, and had an option to return to the US easily if you don't end up liking it, a secure "return ticket", then yeah sure, a bit of an adventure, it won't kill you. But I don't get the impression it's that way.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  4. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

So why do you need to move with your family? Didn't you just start going to school? What exactly is the benefit for you making this move? All in all this just sounds like a really, really bizarre plan.

5. Kenbushway

Kenbushway Captain Captain

We are saving up extra money besides the round trip tickets so that if all fails we can return, our house will still be here, and my dad's friend is reliable. Many of the things above are good points but we are actively working on them. We are not believing it will be easy, we know it will be rough and that failure is not impossible. I am 3 classes away from finished, then I will have an automotive technology diploma (Equals to certification in brakes, Steering & suspension, electrical, heating and cooling, transmissions; engine repair and performance doesn't have a certificate program attached). My skills could be quite useful. We are well aware of the economic depressions that are hitting the country of Macedonia. I've actually successfully gotten my parents to eat more of my meals and we understand that simply going to store for Hamburger helper isn't going to be an option. I am moving with my family to help them with their business and in also hopes to run some myself in the future. This move hasn't been planned for just 3 months and then thrown into motion. We learned a great deal and we looked at other countries (Netherlands, Sweden, Norway, Malta, Uruguay) but certain clean personal record requirements prevented us from being able to try some of those countries.

6. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

The difference though is that England, Scotland etc.. are countries themselves. So someone might say they are English and British or Scottish and British. It's a little differenet from someone saying they are Irish-American. I guess that description might work if they were born in Irish and emmigrated to the USA and became a citizen of the USA.

7. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I'm not sure if I follow what you're saying. I'm not sure if I'm explaining myself properly.

People in the Northeast United States (for example) are likely to point out their origin. They might say they're English or Irish, etc. In the South (particularly Appalachia), where people are predominantly of Scottish origin or English origin, they instead so they're American.

Here is a chart to show what I mean

8. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

I remember Bob Geldof many years ago saying in a speech somewhere in the US that Irish Americans are no more Irish than African Americans are Africans. It was in exasperation with the fundraising for Irish political terrorism. I think this is what all of us from the 'auld countries' actually think. Don't get me wrong, it's great for tourism, but when an American dressed in tartan comes up to us and says he's 'Scatch' we just nod and smile.

9. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

Macedonia has an unemployment ratio in the 30% range, your degree won't mean shit.

This whole idea is so peculiar that I can only assume it's either a big scam, lunacy or ingenious. But I really doubt it's the latter.

I suppose there's nothing anyone could say to dissuade you from this, but it is almost certainly a horrible idea!

10. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

But to someone from the UK (and it's consitutant countries) or Ireland or any other country for that matter. How exactly can they say English when the last realtive to reside in one of those countires was several generations ago. I also note from that link that there is no one from Scottish ancestry (according to the chart)

It might have some meaning to them but it has little to no meaning to people from those countries they say they have ancestry from. Deckard already touched on this point.

11. Kenbushway

Kenbushway Captain Captain

I said it could not it would. Like I said details have been worked out this isn't just some impulse move. We are aware of things brought up. Maybe I didn't do the best in describing how far we've gone. Yes Macedonia has a 30% range but that doesn't mean that 30% of its people are actually unemployed. Those who are self-employed (like my dad's friend) are listed as unemployed even though they aren't; not only that but its economy has improved slightly. Not saying its going to be a rainbow of a ride but the situation here isn't any better.

12. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

That's why I said it was an American thing to do? We can say it because we have mouths that can make sounds and form language that say precisely those things. You can disagree with the practice all you want, I was just pointing out that Americans are happy to say Brooklyner, New Yorker, American, but also can say Italian or Irishman on top of that. Where we came from is important too precisely because we're a nation of immigrants.

13. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

14. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

This sounds like a terrible idea. Someone running away from Amurica.

15. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I would find the highlighted very off putting.

16. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

i think you should probably go there to see the country first. if you like it there, enjoy the local cuisine etc then start to think about the moving and practical considerations like employment, living etc.

also a backup plan in case things go wrong, as that dude does sound a bit dodgy

17. Lindley

There are other nice places to live in the world. Many countries have an American expat community of one size or another.

18. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Well.... they have good nuts.

19. Lindley

That's Macadamia.

20. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

He could just move to Detroit and avoid the hassles of a new language and work visa...