Happy Birthday De!

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Anji, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Anji

Anji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Assisting in the birth of baby Horta on Janus VI
    Leonard Nimoy tweeted on Jan 20 that he missed DeForest Kelley on his birthday (De's birthday was Jan 20) and I thought I'd make a Happy Birthday thread for De, and for Leonard, who seems to a little on the blue side these days.

So anyone wanting to wish De a "Happy Birthday" and maybe tell a story or two about him, please do.

And Leonard, if you're out there, we wouldn't mind hearing a story or two about your good friend...:beer:

2. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Maybe that's another reason I liked De. We were both preacher's kids, his background inspired me to try acting in high school, and his birthday was right before mine (today). Only got to meet him once, but saw him several times.

:beer:

3. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't really have a De story, sadly, I never met him, but I am currently in the middle of a TOS re-watch, which I started on Jan. 19, and I watched "The Man Trap" the morning of the 20th. Not the best episode, but it IS a McCoy story, sort of.

And yeah, the timing was intentional.:)

4. jayrath

jayrath Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

When I was a child, Spock was my favorite character. In my 30s, I wanted to be Kirk. Now that I'm (ahem) older, I identify most with McCoy. Which is a fine place to be, I assure you.

Happy birthday to a fine actor whose broad range of work happily intersected our own interests, courtesy of Star Trek.

5. HGN2001

HGN2001 Captain Captain

Here's a screen capture of DeForest Kelley in a minor role in an episode of THE FUGITIVE ("Three Cheers For Little Boy Blue").

[​IMG]

Happy Birthday De - thanks for all the great work.

Harry

6. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

In 1966, I was unfamiliar with the regular cast members. It was sort of strange for me to then see them in contemporary clothes during the show's first run. Shatner appeared on a morning talk show (Lloyd Thaxton Show?) in a open-collared shirt but had his pointy sideburns. Nimoy showed up on a game show (perhaps You Don't Say!) with the haircut, normal ears, and penciled-in rounded eyebrows. And he was laughing!

7. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sadly, I never got the honor of meeting De, but I did get to see him in person at several conventions and other events. What I do remember was how he seemed to genuinely enjoy being with the fans almost as much as we enjoyed being with him. Just an old, country doctor.

8. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I've alway had a soft spot for De. We share a birthday and a birth state. He also looks and sounds like a member of my family.

9. Keith1701

Keith1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Happy late Birthday!!!
    we still miss you greatly.