Marvel All New, All Different - Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, May 30, 2010.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: Heroic Age/Avengers Ongoing Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

I'm guessing A Plus is going to lead up to the events that form Uncanny X-Men?

2. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Boo, if not expected on any Ben Reilly news since they killed him twice now. Completely ignoring fandom. Where's Mephisto when you really need him?

3. Admiral_Young

Didn't really expect any news on Ben Reily. Kaine though is trying to do well by his brother though by taking his superhero identity and make good. I'll be pissed if Scarlet Spider ends up a causality, because his book has been tons of fun so far!

4. Captain Craig

I dropped Scarlet Spider at issue #5 after the whole "I can talk to spiders" thing as the mcguffin they used to locate and disarm a bomb.

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've got to work all day today, so I won't be around to do follow the liveblogs. They are doing them all on the page I've been linking to if you want to follow them yourselves. Today they're doing the movies and TV panels.

6. Admiral_Young

Bleeding Cool reports this morning that Mark Waid will be taking over "The Incredible Hulk" with Lenil Lu. It's not official, this kind of excites me but I'm still disappointing Aaron will be ending his run. Also regarding Waid...he won three Eisner Awards last night for "Daredevil".

Newsarama and Comic Book Resources are two really good sites with SDCC coverage.

7. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Well Aaron's run was a complete clusterfuck both artistic and writing wise. All his recent Marvel stuff reads like some sort of attempt at pushing everything to the limits of absurdity.

Waid has better sensibilities in regards to writing comics.

8. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

glad Aaron is leaving. the first few issues of his Hulk run were very promising, but the book quickly turned into Hulk fighting random gamma monsters of the month. looking forward to Waid taking over.

9. Captain Craig

Waid on Hulk, hmmm

IwillwaitforTPBIwillwaitforTPBIwillwaitforTPBIwillwaitforTPBIwillwaitforTPB

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

The All Winnners Squad video is up now if anyone is interested. I thought it was pretty funny. Every one was excited about Doop at the panel, but I didn't see him anywhere. This is up as a pilot, so it sounds like this might be a series.
    EDIT: Marvel and High Moon Studios (the company behind The Bourne Conspiracy, and the recent Transformers games) are working on Deadpool and Hit-Monkey games.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2012
  11. Admiral_Young

It would appear that the Punisher War Zone story this fall is the conclusion of Ruka's Punisher run. The basic plot of the story is that the Avengers decide they need to deal with Frank, obviously they see him as a threat. More details about this tomorrow on Newsarama. Doesn't look like either Scarlet Spider or Venom will be cancelled as they both tie into the Minimum Carnage story, which features both Kaine and Flash trying to stop Carnage.

12. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

Amazing Spider-Man Panel Recap:
    Minimum Carnage crossover:
    Punisher: War Zone news:

Edited to add: I see the good Admiral_Young beat me to the punch while I was pulling the quotes and links together for this post. :p

13. Admiral_Young

^ I'm glad you posted that. I just kind of covered what I figured most people would be interesting since not many seem to be reading Amazing Spider-Man right now in this thread for whatever reasons. I'm very much looking forward to 700...and whatever Slott has done lol.

14. PsychoPere

Anyone who isn't reading ASM is missing out on some great Spidey work. I enjoyed "Ends of the Earth" so much that I went back and started reading Slott's run at #648 (the first "Big Time" issue). I'm currently up to #662, then will have to buy some issues again when I finish #673 to bridge the gap up to EOTH.

Hell, I'm even looking forward to seeing this Alpha sidekick character introduced, because Slott's work so far has earned my absolute trust. It also seems like a natural evolution these days for Spidey given his involvement in the Future Foundation and the Avengers.

ComiXology was nice enough to have a 99 cent sale recently for lots of Amazing issues, right around the release of the movie, so that dovetailed quite well with my desire to start at the beginning of Slott's solo run.

As for the "Minimum Carnage" crossover... I had been planning to drop Venom after Remender leaves the title (purely out of a desire to cut down on some titles, especially given some - like ASM - that ship more than once a month), but I expect to keep reading Scarlet Spider so I'll have to at least pick up Venom's crossover issues.

I'm glad that War Zone is a "spin-off" of sorts to Rucka's current Punisher run, rather than a separate title written by a different author. That would've been disappointing, since Rucka is doing really good work on the title.

15. Admiral_Young

Alpha seems very interesting and it seems Slott did his best to harken back to how Peter got his powers and looped everything together. I agree about Amazing. I've been a regular reader since Slott was named sole writer and it's been the best Spidey stuff in years. Big Time and really the latter part of Brand New Day was pretty good as well.

Oh I forgot...Slott also stated that the Silver Sable arc/incident will be touched upon in the next issue, so looks like we'll get a status update on her. Slott also made the point to go and look at Peter's eyes in the Marvel Now teaser image. So I did...and indeed there is an image of some kind in them, Peter is obviously looking at someone. His costume is tweaked slightly as well. Darker blue it looks like.

Avenging Spider-Man #9: I absolutely adored this issue. Kelly Sue McCormick writes Carol and Peter fantastically in this issue. As a shipper fan of these two I would be absolutely ecstatic if Marvel was ballsy enough to pair these two together. Their banter and mutual respect and admiration for each come out in spades in this issue. The art work is fantastic as well. Carol's new look is just awesome. McCormick at the Spider-Man panel also kind of expressed her enthusiasm for these two and their long history together. I can't wait for the conclusion of this two parter and the "Captain Marvel" ongoing this week.

16. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

I've picked up a few issues of ASM here and there, but most of my Spidey has been coming in FF these days. I thought what I saw of "Ends of the Earth" was a reactionary mess.

17. Admiral_Young

The first half of "Ends of the Earth" was great. The second half seemed rushed and a bit of a mess. The art is fantastic all the through the art. If anyone is interested Marvel did release last month Spider-Man Big Time: Ultimate Collection which collects the first half of Slott's run. I have been planning on getting it.

Here are the details on Punisher: War Zone.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/sdcc-2012-punisher-war-zone.html

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
  18. Captain Craig

Which is what makes it's conclusion a downer. The excuse for the story also is a cop-out imo. When have the other good guys ever fully excepted Frank or his methods. Saying the have to 'now' deal with him as been done in one way or another already. Meaning no title should ever be too long in the 616 cause the hard core heroes see Frank as equal to Kingpin, a bad guy. Shame cause I like Frank interacting with 616.

Dark Avengers #177 - the only part of the story I truly care about is the 3 pages of Man-Thing development. The time trapped T-Bolts are trying to get back to the present. Luke Cages' newly formed Dark Avengers are doing something I don't recall honestly (glossed over these pages).
    Man-Thing, while regaining his conscience/intellect and ability to vocally communicate his emphatic nature has been greatly diminished. Ghost asks him if he can tap into the Nexus and teleport the team out. He says he cant, not that he won't. He explains to Ghost that he used to could feel how to do that and his connection to that is severed...as least for now. I'm assuming that's resolved, when it is will his other humanity flee with it.
    Satana tries a teleportation and, well, the last panel you have to see. It's a blatant character rip for Judge Dredd. They are now in a future with this character boring down atop them.

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I need to make a correction here, it turns out the Hit Monkey game announcement before Comic-Con was actually just a joke and they are just doing Deadpool.

20. PsychoPere

IGN interview with Rucka:
    Much more, of course, at the link.