Are we forgetting why Spock is a great character?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agenda, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Spockkirk

Spockkirk Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I would to see them grow into how we see them in the old Treks as well I think that would be so cool!!!!!

2. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought the plan was just to do a trilogy?

3. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah - that's right! It's kind of like those old, butt-rocker bands that say that're going to "retire" with a FareWell Tour, then when that's finished, they start right back up, again. There's no end to it. And with STAR TREK ... there's all that popcorn at stake.

4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Apparently, at least Chris Pine was signed for four movies.

5. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

For all the problems of NuTrek, Spock showing emotion is not one of them. Spock is one of the few things that works about NuTrek.

6. The Wormhole

I don't know. In TOS seeing Spock be emotionless was one of the things that made the character, well, fascinating. It's his defining trait which seems to be ignored.

Yes, there are canonical precedents to explain this, and indeed we did see him in his younger days of the Prime Universe prone to grinning and shouting outbursts. But if I were to present TOS to a new audience, emotionless Spock would be the representation of the character I would present as I feel that is more interesting a character to watch and learn about then someone who is "young and emotionally raw" the Abrams series depicts.

7. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

When did anyone ever say it was planned as a trilogy? I keep seeing this idea pop up in message boards, but I have never heard anything official about it. I hope it's not just a trilogy, because that's kind of lame and unimaginative. Plus, it would be a shame if the series were to end at #3, just when they started their five year mission. And why should it end at #3? Because trilogies have become a thing after Star Wars?

8. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

Totally disagree. I think Pine works as Kirk, but after two films, I find Quinto's passive-aggressive Spock far too annoying to be endearing. He's looks like a young Nimoy, but he's missing that alien mystique; he just seems like a passive-aggressive human, and an overly-emotional one at that. I actually think Cumberbatch would have made a good Spock; his Sherlock is a more Spock-like character than Quinto's Spock.

9. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

"Interesting" is so 1960s. The question for any part of the Hollywood remake industry is how to make the character profitable. Yes it was cool and all that the original Spock was all, like, weird and alien and stuff... but does today's teen really get that? Or want that? Played as more of a repressed nerd with anger issues and elf ears, he really gets at the emerging "emo" market. Plus you can sell it to the fandom as a call-out to all those times in old Trek where Spock lost his s**t. It's win-win. ;)

10. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    Correct my mistake, and you make it again ? That's weird.

11. Belz...

He did say "first and foremost", not "one of".

Yeah, I would've prefered if he passed the torch in '09 and we didn't see him again, especially for a pointless scene.
    The timeline has been altered and the circumstances different. Spock's life has taken a very different turn so, yes, in a way, it's a different one.
    No bias in the term at all. I call it "old" Trek.
    You could discern their thoughts from your seat ? Those were good tickets !

12. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

As far as I know, the trilogy thing comes from the actors contracts, which included the option of two sequels should the original have proven successful. There is talk that Pine has signed for a fourth film, but I suspect that's from a website republishing a old '09 interview when ID was released and he says something like "I probably shouldn't be saying this, but I'm contracted for two more"

I too would like to see this version of Trek continue past a third movie (well... unless XIII turns out to be unimaginably awful)

13. The Wormhole

I honestly can't imagine the Abrams series lasting much beyond a trilogy. Maybe they can get a fourth movie if they decide to make XIII a two-part story, such things are in and popular these days. But otherwise, there just isn't enough there to develop and continue. I don't see it going six movies, and I really have a hard time imagining any of these actors staying with the roles in the 2030s (25 years after XI).

14. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    Just because he signed doesn't mean the movies will actually be made. Some of the principal actors in the Lynch version of the Dune movie were contracted for movies of the first three Dune novels, but only the first one ever got made. It wouldn't be surprising if Pine has a "play or pay" contract, which would mean he would get some money out of it no matter if a fourth movie were made or not.

15. Belz...

Compared to the original timeline ?

16. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Huh? The quadrant is their oyster.

17. Agenda

Agenda Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Sure, but like always they'll probably just end up going back to earth! :lol:

18. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

An entire Star Trek universe, Kirk and crew are all in their prime, and there's nothing to develop and continue? Wormhole must be joking.

I'm not saying it's likely to go much beyond 3 movies, but after 50 years or episodes, movies, novels and fanfic there is definitely a LOT that can be done with these characters.

19. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

It's hard to argue otherwise when every really popular/financially-successful Trek tends to involve a threat to Earth, or time travel, or Klingons, or the Borg. ;)

20. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

Within in the parameters of what the project seems to be -- mining Trek for bits likely to be known to a general audience -- they'll have pretty much reached the limit in three films. All that's left is maybe a movie with the Klingons as more than bit villains, and the Borg. (And maybe Q?)