Doctor's HoloCam

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by swaaye, Feb 9, 2009.

1. swaaye

swaaye Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I've been wanting to share this. The doctor's holocam is rather obviously a R/C car radio. In fact, I used to have that exact radio. It's from the Airtronics Avenger line. It's a low-cost 2 channel ground radio for RC vehicles. Nice and rounded, for the 24th century!
    http://www.airtronics.net/airtronics_Avenger.asp

It was a cool prop, but I giggled cuz it was obviously my RC radio.

:)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Holodeck Addict

Holodeck Addict Ensign

Im currently re-watching Voyager and everytime I see his holocam I can't help but think, damn that's big! :lol: I mean that far into the future you figure It would be small, at least the size of a credit card like some of todays cameras.

3. JNG

JNG Chief of Staff, Starfleet Command Rear Admiral

Since the tech for realistic holograms was new enough in "Encounter at Farpoint" to surprise Riker (2364), I don't mind that a device capable of recording a photorealistic 3D image is not yet credit card-sized when Voyager departs (2371).

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  4. es!

es! Commander Red Shirt

^I like this explanation. I too have been wondering why that thingy was so damn big LOL

5. leola

leola Lieutenant Red Shirt

Amazing tune up. The green lights on the side make it so much more real. :lol:

6. Gates

Gates Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

But isn't that true of everything?

7. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

Blinky lights are the real essential in sci-fi. Everything else is fluff. :angel:

8. Bacl

Bacl Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Keep in mind too that the Doc's holocam had MAJOR capabilities. It didn't just grab a 3D holo-image, but recorded (if memory serves) all kinds of spectrum information when he used it for scenic shots, and micro-cellular details when photographing patients.

Think back to Latent Image. In order to record that much information about his patients, that little holo-cam had to do some pretty powerful photographing!

I actually liked seeing that not all tech was credit card sized. Sometimes, you just can't make everything using nano-probes and magic fairy dust! :rommie:

9. SonicRanger

SonicRanger Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

10. Tachyon

Tachyon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain