Instead of being cancelled why wasn't ENT moved to SciFi?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by Sheridan, Aug 23, 2008.

1. Sheridan

Sheridan Lieutenant Red Shirt

Hey, I just watched all four seasons of Enterprise last year for the first time and I have to say I loved Enterprise. In my opinion I would put it at 2nd place with TOS being 1st out of all the Trek series and I thought it was a shame it was cancelled. I was wondering if they considered or tried moving Enterprise to the SciFi channel to continue its 5th, 6th, and 7th seasons instead of canceling it? Isn't that what they did with Stargate SG-1? In it's 5th season it was moved to the SciFi channel instead of being cancelled(I assume that's why it was moved) so I'm wondering if they tried doing that with ENT but failed?

2. JiNX-01

JiNX-01 Admiral Admiral

It was cancelled because it was expensive to make and Paramount's suits in the big offices didn't care about Trek anymore.

Leonard Nimoy even talked about that at Vegas a couple of weeks ago. He said Paramount thought they were done with Star Trek. That's why they sold off all that stuff from the shows at Christies.
    Then they approached JJ Abrams for a 3-movie deal and he said, OK, but I want the first one I make to be Star Trek. :bolian:

3. MattJC

MattJC Fleet Captain

You mean his perverted interpretation of Star Trek.

4. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

:rolleyes:

How was Pine as Kirk?

5. zenophite

zenophite Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Scifi couldn't afford it.

6. MattJC

MattJC Fleet Captain

Crap.

7. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

So how's the year 2009?

8. MattJC

MattJC Fleet Captain

Seriously, I've heard enough about this piece of shit to know I won't be happy with it.
    These idiots should have picked one or the other: a straight prequel or a straight reboot.
    Whatever they decided to do, they shouldn't have done this: http://screenrant.com/images/enterprise-first-thumb.jpg
    and try to imply to hardcore fans that this is supposed to be the same ship we saw in the original series.
    Just pick a prequel or a reboot and stick with it.
    As for Nimoy being involved and the storyline involving an "alternate timeline via time travel", that's just an attempt by TIIC to try to placate and blow off the longtime fans at the same time.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2008
  9. Locutus

Locutus Captain Captain

All I know is that if Enterprise had jumped over to Sci Fi, it would have been cancelled inexplicably just as its ratings were improving. About the only series they have that they HAVEN'T done that to is ECW Wrestling.

10. SFRabid

SFRabid Commodore Commodore

I don't think they care about hardcore fans. I know that if I was spending that much on a movie I would not worry about the few hardcore Star Trek fans that are left. Especially with their constant screaming about everything canon. If the movie is a success there will be a new generation of Star Trek fans and that is good for all of Star Trek. As a moderate Star Trek fan I can say without hesitation that I have no desire to see the same old outdated designed of the ship from TOS. Forget what was done in the 60's and give me a ship that looks like it may actually be designed in the future.

11. MattJC

MattJC Fleet Captain

Then they should have done a full reboot, and not throw out a bullshit line about this movie being a prequel to TOS.

12. Augustus

Augustus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Oh man, just calm down and let's see the movie first...

13. MattJC

MattJC Fleet Captain

I just want Abrams and co. to be honest and admit it's a semi-reboot via time travel/alternate timeline. I want them to stop jerking fans around with promises they had no intention of keeping.

14. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

What does the movie have to do with why ENT didn''t go to Sci-Fi? I don't come here to debate the merits of the new film. I'm here to discuss ENT.

15. Augustus

Augustus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Touche

I think ENT was too good of a show to be broadcast with new episodes on SCi-FI channel

No offense to anyone here who likes the programs Sci-Fi produces, but I am not a fan at all.

16. RaymondJames

RaymondJames Captain Captain

I wasn't a fan of Enterprise and still am not. What killed Enterprise was UPN moving it to the infamous Friday Night Death Slot. However some shows survive and kick ass in the Death Slot, Stargate SG-1 fro example, Atlantis, Law & Order SVU, Monk... so many.

I just feel that Enterprise was a death wish from day one.

17. galleywest

galleywest Lovable Flake Premium Member

There's a whoooooole forum for talking about the movie, so please direct discussion (and/or complaining, defending, wailing and gnashing of teeth) of the new movie there.

18. Trekwatcher

Trekwatcher Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

While I was very, very sad to see ENT go off the air, I wonder if moving to Scifi would have been a good thing. ENT via Paramount had awesome production values and most Scifi shows have a decidely cheap feel to them. S3 and S4 had, IMHO, great scriptwriting that could have easily been continued on Scifi, but I wonder if the whole thing would have become shoddy looking. Plus, I wonder if all of the cast would agree to go from a prime network slot to a cable only show.

19. Bacl

Bacl Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

A lot of shows don't survive that sort of transition very well. Although most people were upset with the series finale itself, at least the show had a good last couple years of quality.

Better that than to end up on sci-fi and turn into another ghost of what it once was, only to be canceled again.

20. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Because doing a quality job on ENT would be too pricey for Skiffy and Paramount would be idiots to denigrate what is, after all, still a valuable brand name by doing a hack job of it.

It's much more intelligent to do what they are doing now: re-invigorate the brand with the strategy most likely to work - fresh writing/production team, going back to the elements that the public knows (Kirk, Spock, Enterprise) - and throw boatloads of money behind it.

If Abrams hadn't come along, Star Trek would have been revived anyway sooner or later. The big thing in Hollywood is brands, brands, brands, sequels, sequels, sequels. That's all they care about anymore. And most of the brands that can be turned into profitable sequels are either coming from comic books or old TV shows. If they'll bring back Get Smart, of course they'll bring back Star Trek.

And I doubt the Star Trek fanbase is any bigger an issue to Paramount than the Get Smart fanbase was. I'll bet there were dyed-in-the-wool Get Smart fans who thought recasting the role with that guy from The Office was the biggest abomination in human history.