Farscape First time watch thread....

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Distorted Humor, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

and the sweaty breasts

2. Plain Simple

Plain Simple Commodore Commodore

Just dropping in to congratulate you on a wise choice. :) What can I say, but read the sig (no, not the Tolkien part).

Perhaps I have some more substantial contributions when I actually have some time to read this thread. ;)

3. TiberiusMaximus

TiberiusMaximus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Speaking of Pilot losing his arm - there is a much more horrifying scene in a later season involving something similar. *shudder* The episode is called "Eat Me"...if any of you have watched that episode, I'm sure you know the scene I'm referring to...only on Farscape would something like that happen.

4. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm continuing my Farscape high (Thank you this thread) and I'm not going to spoil anything, but many folks think that the first season was ok but things didn't get into high gear until Nerve/Hidden Memory, but I would say it happened 3 episodes before that. Watched Durka Returns last night (to bring in a new character) and then tonight watched Human Reaction (Added an important winkle into the main story arc) and Through the Looking Glass (Awesome scifi story and brought us to the final chapter of one of the storylines this season).

Looking forward to seeing how you like these episodes, Distorted.

5. coolghoul

coolghoul Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I am in the middle of season 2 but stopped for the past few weeks.

I think the middle of season 1 goes thru a little lull. Of all the eps (and yes, Maldis gets a lot of non-love. It's awful!!). I personally hated Rhapsody in Blue - it's just silly stuff being made-up to sound important re the Delvians. Nothing made sense in it. Oh well...

I just saw Out of Their Minds - in season 2. Pretty funny. (But absolutely atrocious science. A defense shield at 62% being hit by the Halosian's energy weapon causes everybody to "switch" bodies! I tell you.... )

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2011
  6. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Farscape doesn't concern itself with such things.

7. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Science? in Farscape? Stop this nonsense right now. There is no room for such crazy talk here.:vulcan:

8. InklingStar

InklingStar Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Just repeat to yourself "It's just a show, I should really just relax." :)

9. Trubinator

Trubinator Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Gawd. Complaining about the science of Farscape reminds me of a friend of mine. We saw Green Lantern and the one complaint he had about the movie was the portrayal of the JF35 aircraft. I mean, how does any of the technical stuff even matter when you're going to see something fun and entertaining?

10. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Frankly some of the science of wormholes and such makes more sense than most TV shows.

11. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

This one is my personal favorite episode. And I agree with everybody else. Ignore the "science" in this show, and just sit back and enjoy the ride.

Not everything has to be "deep" you know.;):bolian:

12. TiberiusMaximus

That was a hilarious episode...I loved the part where Crichton pretended to still be Rygel, and it was a lot of fun to see the actors mimic the mannerisms of the others.

13. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was thinking when the science thing was brought up (And I mean no spoilers since we're talking in a thread of a first time watcher) that this is the same episode featured various "mannerisms" (Aeryn being John was my favorite) used purely for comic relief. I don't think Science was the first thing on the writers minds.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  14. Sakrysta

Sakrysta Vice Admiral Admiral

If getting the science right is important to you, you're watching the wrong show. ;)

15. coolghoul

I don't think people are really upset at my bringing up the science bit. Neither am I.... I've already watched Farscape once (at least). This is my repeat watch.
    I had to bring up the science cos it just hits you when Rygel (with Crichton inside him) theorises in his best Crichton imitation about what's causing the "personality-shifts". Sometimes things are so ridiculous that you laugh out loud. I am not even going to mention about the one in season 4 which is the "Honey, I shrunk the kids" take-off. (Trek did it too - DS9 in This Little Ship or something like that).

Also, this is kind of a testament to how accepting his shipmates have become of Crichton's hunches/solutions being right. If this had been season 1, I would've bet people would have scoffed at him.

16. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Edit: Not needed, slightly spoilery

17. coolghoul

My bad. Editing my post. Please feel free to edit your quoting mine.

Apologies to everybody for posting spoilers. Sorry for taking this off-track.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  18. Sakrysta

Sakrysta Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh I know. Mine was a general statement about the nature of Farscape's storytelling focus. And the show is great about acknowledging and even mocking its own freehandedness with scientific explanations.

19. TiberiusMaximus

I actually found that interesting - namely, Rygel's reaction. Sikozu was freaking out because it was impossible...and Rygel pretty much says "Quit your whining, it happened. So shut up."

20. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I know you're not really giving a lot away, but why don't we avoid the Season 4 talk until the OP is actually watching Season 4?