Helix - Ron Moore

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Alex1939, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

The whole show is filled with muzak and soft easy listening music (elevator music) which is what one might imagine a place like that playing. Now it comes off as ironic contrasting with the real nature of what is going on. I suppose with all the talk of unoriginality it doesn't help that they did something similar in Lost now that I think about it (though not the theme song).

2. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

I was totally thinking of LOST with the opening music playing while they walked around the base.

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've only watched the premier, but I enjoyed it enough to stick around for now.
    As for what was actually in the episodes, am I the only one who thinks the glowing eyes means Hatake is an alien? Is this going to end up being an alien invasion story?

4. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm not sure how they are going to get a full season out of this god for bid a seaosn two.

5. dragunzng

dragunzng Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Is it streaming anywhere?

6. Guy Gardener

Illegally?

7. dragunzng

dragunzng Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:P nope, I mean on Hulu, Netflix or Amazon Instant. I can't seem to find it anywhere.

8. Alex1939

Alex1939 Captain Captain

Really? And you are a sci-fi fan but don't have the imagination to see how the show could develop?

Remember this is Ron Moore so we know he doesn't matter radically shifting the show settings.

I see it like this. Season 1 will all be in this base and it will be the mystery over the virus but also other subplot mysteries that are already going on... what is the commander, someone suggested alien, I suggest mutent... why did the army guy blow up the communications tower? ETC ETC

I imagine season 2, the virus has spread on the planet and the season will be more global. Or maybe the focus shifts to the commander and an alien invasion, or mutant uprising.

See, not too hard to imagine that this show could lot a different directions at this point.

9. Ensign_Redshirt

Ensign_Redshirt Commodore Commodore

I would like to point out that this show was created by Cameron Porsandeh - who also wrote the pilot - and that Steven Maeda serves as the showrunner for Helix. Maeda has been a co-executive producer for Lost and an executive story editor for The X-Files. Which perhaps best indicates where this show could be going.

While Ron Moore has a bit of an input in the show's creative process he doesn't take any front-seat position like he did with nuBSG or other shows. It's obviously promoted as Ron Moore show because he's the biggest name attached to the project. Just like Almost Human is a "J.J. Abrams show" and seaQuest DSV or Falling Skies were "Steven Spielberg shows".

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  10. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

11. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

I got as far as the scene where several CDC scientists, entering an outbreak of unknown transmission and scope, allow themselves to have their hands injected with an untested item (hand waving pass thingy) - all from the same exact device.

12. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

I watched the third episode and I thought it was a huge improvement. First and second are iffy, but if they interest you at all then it's worth sticking around for the third.

13. Guy Gardener

The huge blond reminds me of Pam from Archer.

Archer season 5 started last night, everything else is dog shit in comparison.

14. Sto-Vo-Kory

Sto-Vo-Kory Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^This.

15. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

The pilot didn't grab me, so I won't be back. I loved the elevator music as the main theme though. It's the only thing that caught my attention precisely because it didn't fit. In fact, it made me wonder if the show would include a bit of absurd humor because of that. It didn't.

16. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

She reminds me of Furlow from Farscape. :D

17. Guy Gardener

A page earlier I admitted I was drawn to her, big girls have value to me.

Furlough was such a tease, but the moustache was disturbing.

18. Velocity

Velocity Vice Admiral Admiral

'Huge' blonde? Really? She IS the only likable character, though.

19. Guy Gardener

The actors name is Catherine Lemieux, and she is playing the character of Dr. Doreen Boyl.

She is a person with feelings.

And frankly when I used the word "Huge", I was looking at Pam from Archer, who is a 2 dimensional cartoon bare knuckled sumu wrestler, and it kinda all bled together.

But it's not just "Doreen's" sturdiness, it's the southern accent (Pam is not southern? She sounds like a pig squeeling most of the time, that's Southern.) and forthrightness, which demands the two figures by compared side by side.

I want her physically because she's big, so I should be able to talk about how great her bigness is.

You have your fetish, I have mine.

And yes, Doreen IS the only likeable character.

20. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

I thought so too.

BUT, the biggest problem I had... she found the monkey cages, she was attacked by a monkey, YET, didn't bother to tell anyone?!? For like a DAY?

And no one ASKED, "hey, where's Doreen?"

I couldn't wrap my head around that. You guys are a team, yet, Doreen seemed to not tell anyone some REALLY IMPORTANT SHIT that just went down...

I'm sticking around, hoping the characters and the writers get a little smarter.