The Day of the Doctore Review Thread (Spoilers?)

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Brefugee, Nov 23, 2013.

?

So what did you think?

Poll closed Dec 21, 2013.
  1. Brilliant: Geronimo.

188 vote(s)
    77.7%
  2. Very Good: Bow Ties are Cool!

38 vote(s)
    15.7%
  3. Ok: Come along Ponds.

10 vote(s)
    4.1%
  4. Passable: Fish Fingers and Custard.

5 vote(s)
    2.1%
  5. Terrible: Who da man?

1 vote(s)
    0.4%
  1. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

2. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

3. Emperor-Tiberius

Emperor-Tiberius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I can't help but wonder some BBC executives being genuinely surprised at this. I've heard that several of them really didn't think it'd have that much of a reception, and I'm starting to believe it.

4. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

^ That's surprising. I could understand pessimism about the success of the cinema release, but really I think the evidence supported a prediction of healthier than usual TV viewing figures.

5. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well I can imagine them being suprised by the cinema takings, but the actual broadcast itself, it had Number 1 prgoramme of the week on the BBC (at least) written all over it. However the skeptic in me believes there might have been one or two execs at dear old Auntie Beeb that believed it wouldn't do that well. Should I be optimistic and say better start planning for the 60th.

6. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wouldn't be yet. Simply because much as I don't like Moffat's work as show runner, I'd want to know who's taking over before saying I believe the show will last another ten years (5 series at the current rate).

Hopefully Chris Chibnall. :devil:

(Actually, I honestly think he'd do a good job, much though fandom likes to rag on him for "Cyberwoman".)

7. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd hire Noel Clarke.

8. Photoman15

Photoman15 Commodore Commodore

Why? What show has he run?

9. The Mirrorball Man

He's a writer, director and actor, a genre fan and he has appeared in Doctor Who. Philip Hinchcliffe had no experience as a producer before Doctor Who.

10. Photoman15

Photoman15 Commodore Commodore

I doubt the BBC is going to give the Exec Producer job to someone who has no showrunning experience and not a big sci-fi writing background (I said big). He has a few writing credits. It may have worked in the 70's but now it'd never go.

11. The Mirrorball Man

You're probably right. Which is a shame, because I think he's much more talented than Chris Chibnall and other safe choices. After all, Breaking Bad was Vince Gilligan's first job as a producer.

12. The Mirrorball Man

Except it wasn't. Hmmm. Don't pay attention to me, I don't know what I'm talking about.

13. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

My first choice of show runner would be Joe Aherne. Chibnall has gone up in my estimation a bit, and dear lord he’s amassed a lot of experience over the years, but frankly if they were going to give it to someone within the family, as it were, I’d prefer Gatiss. Chibnall doesn’t strike me as the kind of man who has a vision, I see him as more of a nuts and bolts kind of guy, and I think Who needs a strong imagination behind it, and however you feel about RTD and/or Moffat you can’t deny both have had a very strong vision about their particular Who. From this perspective Gatiss likely would have very definite ideas…and it might be kinda fun to have the Hammer era of Who :devil:

Gatiss, much like Chibnal,has had a bit of a renaissance, after some quite ropey episodes Cold War and The Crimson Horror were both excellent, his work on Sherlock is top notch and An Adventure in Space and Time was just plain lovely. Plus of course he’s a fan.

Really though the next show runner might take us all by surprise.

14. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Ahearne. Hmm. A possibility I hadn't considered.

I'd like to see the next showrunner come from outside the "clique," bringing new ideas.

My top pick, will never happen, would be Bryan Fuller (Pushing Daisies, Hannibal).

My top realistic pick would be Michael Hirst (The Tudors, Vikings).

My top pick in the "clique" would be Chibnall. I think Chibnall would have the edge over Gatiss among BBC execs due to his wider body of work.

15. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Do you think Moffat will have any input into the succession, and do you think RTD did? Irrespective of him being able to back it up, you can't deny that Chibnall's CV looks very impressive.

I agree that someone outside of the "clique" would be good.

16. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

From my memory of reading of The Writer's Tale, RTD wasn't involved in the process that selected Moffat. He knew it was happening, but it didn't involve him.

Among the anti-Moffat crowd, it's believed that Moffat will have some role in picking his successor, and it's believed that Gatiss is the heir apparent.

I'm not clear why that's necessarily so. Doctor Who is the BBC's to do with what they will, and if they want Shonda Rhimes (Grey's Anatomy) to be the next head honcho on Doctor Who, that's their call. The only reason I could see Moffat having any role in the decision at all would be if the BBC were scared of alienating Moffat (and, by extension, Sue Vertue) and losing Sherlock.

17. The Mirrorball Man

Has Stephen Volk done anything since Afterlife? I thought it was pretty good. Plus he's Welsh.

18. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I've never thought the BBC would be that swayed by Sherlock. Yes it's very succesful, but it is only 3 episodes a year, doesn't seem to sell much merchandise in the way Who/Top Gear would, can't be sold as a template like Top Gear/Strictly can, and into the bargain has two leads who are going to be increasingly hard to secure. It wouldn't surprise me if series 3 is the last.

19. The Mirrorball Man

^It is prestige quality television, though, and it raises the profile of the BBC brand all over the world. That may be enough.

20. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral