How long before TNG were the Wrath Of Khan uniforms phased out?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Lance, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

I'll bet the officers in the real naval-looking uniforms had a good chuckle at the expense of their poor pajamas-wearing comrades.

2. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

No doubt. But all uniforms are farcical anyway from any point of view distanced by a bit of time or territory. Just think of what was being worn in the 18th century - the whole lot look like peacocks to us now, but there were strong feelings back then about which peacock style was manly and which was embarrassing. Or go back a hundred years, and see the US Army dress like boy scouts while the French in their red pants epitomize the silly tin soldier.

One wonders how much the Starfleet dress code is influenced by the diversity of the UFP. Humans are the dominant wearers of all the fashions we witness on screen, but perhaps offscreen Andorian or Bolian usage dictates some of the choices?

Timo Saloniemi

3. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

Imagine being down to a planet with WoK-attired crewmembers while wearing your TNG skant.

4. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

If it's even a moderately hot planet, I'll be ROTSandL at the idiots. :devil:

Anyway, I'd imagine something like the skant would be "traditional" space wear, as the first spacecraft would realistically have major heat dissipation problems and be very hot working environments. Anybody wearing clothing looking like it's intended to keep the cold spray of the Atlantic from freezing him would look really silly and out of place in the space scene; it would be like reporting to infantry duty in a wet suit.

Timo Saloniemi

5. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Because Nemesis was the last TNG movie and no more were going to be made. Had they continued to make TNG movies in 2004, the odds are good enough to put money on that they would have continued to use the uniforms they had, but ultimately with more variants as I said earlier.

6. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Yes, I agree with you there. But that wasn't actually my point. I was stating that if a new TNG movie were to be made now, they would not be using the FC uniforms, even if the internal timeline had the new film take place not long after Nemesis.

7. C.E. Evans

It certainly was mine. I'm coming from the position of Star Treks XI and XII as TNG movies.
    I think if a new TNG movie were to be made now, it would definitely be the last one ever. Can't see them expanding the budget just to introduce brand-new uniforms for everyone that would be used only once unless the plan was for a new 24th-Century crew to carry them into the next (post-TNG) movie.

8. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

And if we would have seen the 24th century prime universe in Treks XI and XII, it's doubtful that anyone would be wearing the FC uniforms then either.

I didn't say that I thought they'd make another TNG movie now. All I said was that if they did, the cast wouldn't be wearing the FC uniforms.

And I think I'm about done talking about the FC uniforms.:)

9. C.E. Evans

I totally disagree with that. There simply would be no reason to have new uniforms as TNG was winding down as a movie franchise.
    That's saying the same thing.
    :lol:

10. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

1. And I disagree with what you disagree about. They made brand-new uniforms for the Kelvin's crew and the nuEnterprise crew, not to mention brand new cadet uniforms, K. Maru training uniforms, etc. if the TNG prime universe had been shown (Spock Prime came from seven or so years after Nemesis), they would have made brand-new Starfleet uniforms too.

2. No, it's not saying the same thing.

3. This discussion seems to have devolved into a pissing match, so I'm going to gracefully bow out.

11. C.E. Evans

Sorry, but no. New uniforms were made for the new Abrams movies because there were totally different people behind it that had to create everything from scratch. That wouldn't have been the case if they had just continued to make TNG movies instead. They would have kept the existing uniforms, sets, etc., and would have saved millions in the budget.
    It really is.
    Not really, it's still a civilized discussion, but good day.
    :cool:

12. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

*facepalm*

Again, you're misunderstanding me. Let me try to be as clear as possible about this.

1. If they had continued with the TNG movies right after Nemesis, yes, I agree that they would have continued using the same FC uniforms, because there'd be no reason to not use them. I agreed with you on that, but stated that that wasn't my point. See next entry.

2. My point was, if they had made a new TNG movie seven years after Nemesis, instead of Star Trek '09, then by that time all the previous uniforms and props would have been sold off and the production department would have had to start from scratch anyway, just like Bad Robot did. Since it would have been seven years later, there'd be no reason to replicate uniforms, props, etc. from Nemesis. Same thing if Star Trek '09 would have had scenes from 2387 in the prime universe. The comic tie-in shows that the TNG crew were wearing uniforms from Star Trek Online, obviously in an effort to promote that video game. There's no reason not to assume that if there were future scenes in ST09, or a new TNG movie set in 2387, those would have been the uniforms we would have seen.

3. Now I'm really done. Really.

13. C.E. Evans

But that was my point, and the only thing I was talking about.

Oh no, I disagree with that. No, I doubt very much they would have sold off the existing uniforms and props if they were going to continue to make TNG movies. They would have kept those and sold off the things they were no longer going to use anymore.

And what happens in Star Trek Online would have no bearing on the movies, in fact, it would be the other way around.
    Okay.

14. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

I think it's a no-brainer that, had the TNG movie series somehow miraculously survived past Nemesis, they would have sooner rather than later come up with new uniforms. Regardless of how long-lived some uniforms may have been continuity-wise, production-wise TPTB couldn't stick with a single uniform for more than a handful of years.

TOS regular series (not counting pilots): 3 years
    TMP: One movie--effectively 2 1/2 years until the next installment
    TWOK+: Technically 9 years or so, but only 5 years before a new TV series with new uniforms was introduced
    TNG Season 1 uniform: 2 years
    TNG Season 3 uniform: 5 years, or only 3 1/2 before a new series with new uniforms came along
    DS9 Season 1/VGR uniform: Technically 8 1/2 years, but only just under 4 years before a new movie series with a new uniform came along (and the uniform on DS9 was changed to match)
    FC/Later DS9 uniform: 6 years (5 before a new TV series with new uniforms came along)
    ENT uniform: 4 years

15. C.E. Evans

Not really, because at best, the TNG gang would probably only have pumped out two more movies after Nemesis. Not really a big incentive to spend money on all-new uniforms if it isn't really necessary (it saves money).

I think new uniforms would likely come across if there were movies featuring a new post-TNG crew (not necessarily DS9 or VOY, but perhaps a new movie-only crew to carry things forward, either towards the end of the 24th-Century or into the 25th-Century).

Last edited: Jul 6, 2013
  16. Agonizer

Agonizer Ensign Red Shirt

What if Riker wore a skant when he put his foot up on the console? Poor Data.

17. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

TOS Unform
    First apperace: The Corbomite Maneuver, 2266
    Last appearance: Turnabout Intruder, 2269 (TAS: The Counter-Clock Incident, 2270)

TMP Uniform
    Only Apperance: The Motion Picture, Mid 2270s

TWOK Uniform
    First Appearance: The Wrath of Khan, 2285
    Last Appearance: holorecording in TNG: Family 2347
    62-78 years

TNG1
    First Appearance: photograph in TNG: Suddenly Human, 2353
    Last Appearance: TNG: Shades of Gray (main cast), 2365

TNG2
    First Appearance: TNG: Evolution, 2366
    Last Appearance: DS9: Tears of the Prophets, 2374

DS9
    First Appearance: DS9: Emissary, 2369
    Last Appearance: DS9: The Ascent, 2373

FC
    First Appearance: First Contact, 2373
    Last Appearance: VOY: Timeless, 2390

18. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

No. If they knew they were going to make more films after Nemesis, but the next movie wasn't going to be for seven years, and sometime in that seven years they were going to auction off everything else, then the uniforms still would have been auctioned off. Once the new movie began preproduction, they would have used all that money they made off the auction to budget new uniforms, props, etc.

Cool list. Thanks!

19. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

The earliest appearance of the TWOK reds was 2278, as per "Cause and Effect".

20. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Gadzooks. You're right.