Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by JJ-R, Sep 5, 2012.

1. MickJo1701

MickJo1701 Commander Red Shirt

I noticed this too, but its not only the nacelles the whole ship judders about. Also keep an eye out towards the very end when the shot runs out of motion and it becomes a moving still image. The giveaway is the frozen grain and the ships movement becomes unnatural. Checked the season 1 version of this shot, if it does the same its masked very well.

2. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that CBS has learn't sufficiently from the seasons 1 and 2 releases so as to enable flawless releases here on out. If mistakes were going to made then I'd rather they were made in the first few seasons I guess. The show gets great from Season 3, so hopefully the future releases will do the show full justice.

3. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

Here's an example. And there are couple of shots like that in the episode. Even if it's the rear part of the nacelle, there is enough of it showing that the glowing blue effect should be noticeable.

4. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

Looks like a missed lighting pass.

5. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

Surely, nothing that they couldn't have added.

6. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

Oh yes, they most certainly could have corrected it. Even if the original elements were lost I'm pretty sure the could have CGI'd that with little to no effort.

7. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Watched The Schizoid Man, with the infamous blue planet and cut off Enterprise, and I have to say in motion they didn't really bother me as much as I expected. It comes at the very end of the episode and happens so fast you can barely detect it.

The shot of the Enterprise entering orbit of Graves World, on the other hand, looked fantastic.

As for the episode itself, it's fun watching Data being a complete ass to Picard, but otherwise nothing terribly interesting happens. And it's yet another instance where the crew seems awfully slow to figure things out. Considering Graves was a cyberneticist, they should have realized right away that Data had at least been reprogrammed in some way.

8. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

In Time Squared when the Enterprise falls into the vortex, the lighting-passes aren't aligned perfectly. At least one pass flickers around the ships.

9. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I didn't notice and I was watching on my 40" screen.

10. LitmusDragon

LitmusDragon Commodore Commodore

Okuna was just as bad as I remembered it. I'm not sure why there's so much needless explaining of the character in the first act. "Oh, he's a rogue" "Yes, he's a rogue and he does rogueish things" "Oh yes, like a rogue".

11. Salinga

Salinga Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Season 2 is a good cause for a drinking game: For every DNR'd sequence and lighting pass errors one goes down. ;)

12. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

For "The Schizoid Man", I noticed a serious flaw with Gravesworld. I have never seen this before.

Imagine the planet. The side facing the sun is directed towards the right. Now, follow the curve of the planet as it approaches the north pole. Near the pole, there is an area of intense light reflection where the color of the planet is washed out by a circular patch. What could cause that?

For me, this episode has been the worst in vfx. The planet feels like it is a cardboard cutout being hung in front of a starry background by an invisible wire.

I, also, notice that the Lantree's hull color is the same as the Repulse.

13. Trekker82

Trekker82 Lieutenant Red Shirt

I've only watched a few of the episodes on Season 3 bluray (Peak Performance and Emissary) and so far I think the quality is decent, there were a few complaints such as some of the ships looked a little too plastic-y and the planets a little blurry but overall I am happy. With that said, I do hope that Season 3 is done better. I'm Currently watching Q Who.

Question,

At the end of Peak Performance when the camera is moving away from the Enterprise, I noticed for the very first time that you can see people walking around in the red spherical are on top of the ship... I can't remember the name of it. Has anyone else noticed this on the DVDs or is it new the the Blurays due to the clarity?

14. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I dunno, it MIGHT be the part of the nacelles that aren't as well lit. I'm pretty sure the engine and deflector lights were on the same lighting pass, if not then a missed pass is likely the result. IIRC when those ships approach it's got an odd "stiffness" to it like it's one of those "digital mattes" they did in the S1 set.

15. Mott the barber

Mott the barber Commodore Commodore

If you're talking about the standard warp away shot used at the end of the show intro, yes there are "people" walking around the observation lounge. The S1 blu ray extras reveal for the first time that it was actually a crude animated pencil drawing.
    Pretty cool, and yes it is visibly (but fuzzy) on he DVDs and original airings.

16. Scotty

Scotty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You forgot his rogueish charm!

17. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

My 58" 21:9 Philips screen told another story.

18. Reeborg

Reeborg Commander Red Shirt

How can I get rid of the black side lines? I tried already any kind of zoom on the TV AND the HD-player. Strangely, I can only zoom vertically but horizontally it (almost) stays the same.

Does anybody of you have the BD in full screen on a 16x9 format????

19. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Why do you want to cut of one third of the picture?

20. Mott the barber

Mott the barber Commodore Commodore

There's probably some stretch view that will do it but the result will be that you're skewing and potentially zooming in on a HD picture which will end up significantly lowering the quality of the picture, the improvement of which was the whole purpose of the remastering. Don't get me wrong, I too wish they originally filmed in widescreen, but for optimal viewing quality, we're stuck with 4:3.