"Date of Loss", my science-fiction short film, now online

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JacksonArcher, Aug 1, 2011.

1. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

This past year I co-wrote, co-produced and directed my third short film entitled Date of Loss in Columbus, Ohio and now the film is officially completed and online.

For those unfamiliar, I am an aspiring filmmaker. In 2009, I directed my first short film entitled Wake, which you can see here. After that, I directed my second short film, about an original superhero, entitled Fallen. You can see the trailer for that here. It is a slightly ambitious production, and we are currently aiming for a Summer 2012 release.

Date of Loss is my third and likely final short film. It is a science-fiction story about a corporate tragedy that forces a grieving widow to turn to an unlikely source for comfort. I am a young filmmaker learning his craft. Feedback, thoughts, and comments are more than welcome. Most of all, though, I hope you enjoy the film. :)

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K32GlJu2wZo&feature=channel_video_title[/yt]

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I really enjoyed that JacksonArcher another wonderfully emotional and poignant piece of film making from you. I think you are quickly establishing yourself as someone who doesn't disappoint. I got a total "Outer Limits"/"Twilight Zone" feel from the episode. I loved the ticking sound at the start, it reminded me of Doc's clocks from the start of "Back to the Future".

3. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

I can't see it here at work, but I'll give it a watch at home. I am curious ... Why do you say it's likely your final short film?

4. JacksonArcher

I am currently developing a feature-length film and I would like to make the leap from doing short films to feature-length films.

5. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

Not that there's anything wrong with short films! ;)

That was really great, Dan. You really have a good eye and instinctual sense for your shots. That cannot be taught...so kudos. I really enjoyed this. Music was awesome, too!

6. JacksonArcher

Thanks for the wonderful thoughts, T'Baio. It really means a lot. There's nothing wrong with short films. I still have tons of ideas for more short films.

Also, I forgot to include this in the initial post in this thread, but everyone should make sure to watch this in 720p HD for maximum visual quality.

7. Dr. Chandra

Dr. Chandra Captain Captain

That was great! I found myself completely interested in the story, which is always a good sign. :)

8. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

No, sir. You are not an "aspiring" filmmaker. You make films. That makes you a filmmaker. Maybe you're not able to do it for a living but you do it and that's what matters.

9. JacksonArcher

Thanks, Ken. What did you think of the film?

10. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Well, I'll be the loser and say "I don't get it".

The cinematography and music are wonderful.

The pacing is deliberate and engaging.

I just don't understand what happened.

I'll watch it again later.

11. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

Waiting to watch it with me lady. You know how much she liked Wake.

12. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nice atmospherics and music. But if there's been an "unprecedented financial impact," why not show some indication that a catastrophe has occurred? Something as simple a showing the woman walking to the meeting past one boarded up shop window after another - seemingly a "bad neighborhood" - yet arriving at a very nice looking office building where the meeting will be held - would set up a question in the viewer's mind, what the heck is going on here?

Overall, too much of the story is being carried by dialogue (way too talky, scale it back) and not by visuals. I know visuals are more expensive than dialogue, but the scene I described doesn't require pricey SFX.

Also, it's implausible that this society would have time travel, yet everyone dresses the same as today, and offices look the same.

13. Admiral_Young

Temis I think you're missing the point of the short by over-analyzing the background information and the world setting instead.

14. JacksonArcher

For those interested, the full score for Date of Loss is now online. The score was composed by the extremely talented Vitaliy Zavadskyy.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfgsk08t_9c[/yt]

15. Admiral_Young

Incredible score Dan. Vitaliy did an incredible job with it. If people are interested the composer has done several pieces of his own takes on various film scores that people should check out on youtube.

16. JacksonArcher

Thanks! I'll relay those thoughts to Vitaliy. Also, in case anyone is interested, here is the poster for the film as a high-definition desktop background banner.

[​IMG]

17. JacksonArcher

There have some people that have had criticisms about the story and perhaps thought it was either too confusing or not clear enough. Well, I've recorded an audio commentary that hopefully sheds some light on the film's story.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYA9o9qSB4g[/yt]

18. Admiral_Young

JA...this was an excellent audio commentary, and for a first timer you nailed it. You touched on all the important points of the story, explained things, gave your views and insights, pointed out your favourite shots. Gave natural props to your actors, revealed behind the scenes stuff (where things were shot) and best of all you weren't goofy (I hate when commentary tracks get off track, it can be fun but it gets annoying). Well done!