Chevy Chase says doing Community show was a "Big Mistake"

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Dream, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

We'll add hearsay and gossip to the list of words you don't understand then. It's not "hearsay" when Chase says it himself. People are reacting to his words from the interview.

It's not an emotional reaction in the slightest and it doesn't make me feel anything about myself. That's just how people looking to cause problems like to characterize their opponent's reactions in order to provoke a negative response. I don't actually give two shits about Chevy Chase and his attitude outside this thread. I'm just responding to a message board post like a normal person seeking back and forth discussion.

Thank you, Internet Hero.

[​IMG]

I agree with you when people are criticizing someone for something they have no proof of or for sexist, racist, and similar reasons; and have spoken up when that happens. But I don't have any problem with criticizing someone for the things they actually say and do, such as this situation with Chase. I get that you do, but browbeating everyone and accusing them of hysterics and hypocrisy doesn't really sell your point very well, now does it? Plus, you're just making the entire thread about you, which might be what you wanted anyway, so congratulations. If you had just let it go with getting the last word before this would have been over, but you had to take another dig, didn't you?

2. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

I responded to tighr's post. I know it's fair and common to simply accuse me of trolling instead of trying to see my point, so I attempted to explain myself better for him.

I like how you disrespectfully gloss over my main point with the use of a thread bomb.

3. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not sure how defending Chevy Chase's Internet honor in a thread he'll never read, based on your complete lack of personal contact with the man is any less pointless than criticizing him in the same circumstance, but, okay. If it makes you feel better...

4. Brolan

Brolan Commodore Commodore

The appearance of Chase in any show or movie is enough to make my wife physically ill. I admire her taste.

5. the G-man

To be fair, he was great in Fletch, Caddyshack, 3 Amigos and the Vacation movies.

6. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Why is Chase always so difficult? This show, which is well-regarded by critics and have a cult following, pulled him out of obscurity and as always, he just bitches and moans about it.

7. the G-man

He grew up a spoiled rich kid. He became the breakout star of a hot TV show. His movies were, initially, all big hits. That's a recipe for a big ego.

8. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Yet... he didn't. Do you just lack basic reading comprehension skills? Or are you only able to interpret things that end in ".jpeg" ?

9. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Some people are just assholes.. they can't help it even if the things they bitch about are very good for them.

Personally his rant about his boss near the end of Christmas Vacation is one of my all time favorite comedy scenes and i like most of his movies.

That he harps on Community is unfortunate and i guess it won't endear him to his co stars.. very awkward working environment and i think cutting him out of the show wouldn't disrupt it too much.

10. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

For a second I was really confused because I thought we were still talking about Chase Masterson. :lol:

11. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

Chevy is the main reason I wasn't able to get into Community until the second season -- the Halloween episode. I kind of wanted to check the show out in season 1, but the thought of watching Chevy do those tired pratfalls and 1970's faux "confusion" bits kept me surfing right on past the show.

I once saw Chevy on the Tonight Show years ago, back when Johnny was till the host. The prop comedian, Gallegher, came out and did his fruit destruction thing and then went and sat down in the guest chair. Chevy, who had slid down the couch, apparently began making comments to Gallegher as he approached and then touched Gallegher's face. It all appeared to be a "bit" until Gallegher loudly stated, "Chevy don't like it when someone else gets a laugh", relieving us of the notion that this was a "bit". Chevy cannot NOT be an a-hole.

(BTW, Johnny's reaction to all this was shocking. He simply sat back in his chair and watched. Finally, he said something like, "I'm glad I'm at the point in my career where I don't have to be involved in stuff like this". For longtime Tonight watchers, this was crazy.)

Good lord, I couldn't stand him on Community. His scenes always brought an episode's momentum to a grinding halt. His character never appeared to "fit" in with the rest of the cast. Chevy had no trouble playing up the a-hole parts of Pierce's personality, but he totally lacked the ability to give the character charm and likebility.

My most fervent hope before Harmon was let go, was that they would drop "Pierce", never even mention his name again, and bring in a new actor in the same age group -- one who could relate to cast and show's followers. "Pierce" neded an actor with much more subtlety than what Chevy could provide. Just think of what could have been done with a 'Bill Murray' as Pierce, or in the Pierce spot in the cast.

12. Locutus of Bored

Yes, I know you were responding to tighr's post, but you criticized things I said again, hence my response.

And I didn't gloss over your main point at all, I addressed it in the next paragraph after the threadbomb.

As far as the Chase Masterson situation vis-à-vis the board rules, it's something you've been told a hundred times here by half the staff and you never accept it, so what point is there is rehashing it again? There are different rules for people who post here than there are for those who don't. It would be unrealistic and wrong to police people's opinions on public figures in the same way we do members here. There are trolling rules to cover when someone really crosses a line (says something threatening, sexist, racist, etc.), but we're not going to hand out flaming infractions if someone mildly insults Chevy Chase or President Obama or Lance Armstrong.

Do you have any idea how oppressive an environment for the posters and labor intensive for the staff that would be? If, by some miracle, Chevy Chase started posting here at TBBS and made his presence known, then yes, the rules would cover him FROM THAT POINT ON, not retroactively over everything that's ever been said about him in the past. It's the only realistic way to handle the situation that wouldn't kill a lot of discussion on the board and drive posters away.

Now, if you feel the need to rehash your stale arguments for protecting public figures the same as members for the nth time, go ahead, but I'd rather not journey into the infinite abyss of your pointless arguments again, so don't expect much of a discussion about it from me. This was more than I wanted to do already. I just wanted to discuss the show I enjoy and the way Chevy Chase is treating the cast and crew before you shit all over the thread.

Yeah, I actually enjoy and own quite a few of Chevy's movies and his time on SNL, which is why it's always kind of a bummer when the celebrities turn out to be jerks sometimes, but it doesn't change my opinion of the quality of those films in any way. I can still enjoy them just as much.

I've never trusted Chase Masterson, and I never will. I can never forgive her for the death of my boy. ;)

Yeah, that didn't even occur to me about the name, because I wasn't even peripherally involved in ChaseGate, so it's not really something that's on my mind.

13. Evil Twin

Evil Twin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't know why he didn't just leave after season 2. I mean, the end of "For a Few Paintballs More" sure made it seem like Pierce was leaving the group for good, y'know?

14. gblews

What is this thing that happened with Chase Masterson? Can a brotha get a link?

15. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I doubt a link exists. The Chase Masterson thing happened many moons ago.

16. doubleohfive

The hell you say!

17. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Hmm, for some reason I thought that event was much older than 2010. I've been here too long.

18. Locutus of Bored

Here's the original thread (warning: mildly NSFW pics) that sort of cascaded into a bunch of other recurring threads and posts about the issue, but I'd rather not get the argument started again so we don't give the mods and admins a headache (not directing that at you, gblews, just a general comment).

ETA: 005 ninja'd me.

19. doubleohfive

[​IMG]

20. gblews

Thanks doubleohfive. After seeing the posts I do seem to have a vague recollection of this, however, I don't think I remember at all the boyfriend getting involved. Pretty funny.

I'de love to see Chevy become a member and show up here all insulted. I'm sure I'de earn a well deserved warning because I know I'de take a few more shots at him.