The single best five words I heard while re-watching THE AVENGERS last

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Rowdy Roddy McDowall, May 9, 2012.

1. Rowdy Roddy McDowall

Rowdy Roddy McDowall Commodore Rear Admiral

Last edited: Aug 16, 2023
  2. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: The single best five words I heard while re-watching THE AVENGERS

Had that during my second showing at 7:30pm in 3D as well. Luckily it only lasted a few minutes.

If you can't get a sitter, stay home. You have a child, your life has changed. This is a reality you should've been aware of before hand. I get that it's not only an awesome movie that you've heard about for weeks now but is something of a cultural event. However, you have an infant, stay home. I'm not anti-kids, I'm just pro-common courtesy.

3. Sagart

Sagart Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

We had a group of teenage guys sitting across from us who just wouldn't shut up. For only the third time in my cinema going life, I took action. I went over and said "Guys, keep it down. You're pissing a lot of people off!!" To my amazement, it worked. The two 6 foot-plus guys with me, one of whom is an ex-cop, might have helped.

4. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

The one noisy baby in the showing I went to actually did get taken out by the parents, much to my surprise.

5. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

I was at a midnight showing, so didn't have this problem. They only time people in the theater were talking loudly was at the beginning of the stupid pre-trailers commercials and they stopped doing that while still on the first one.

6. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Some talking during trailers is fine. For some people it maybe the first time they've seen it. I get not everyone looks at them on line. So a comment to your friend/sig other is ok in that instance.

Once the movie starts though. Laugh where it's expected. Shriek where expected.
    It's not your basement so your running MST3K commentary is not part of what I paid my $11-15 for. And of course don't show up with infants or kids(5-10) to an R rated film at 10pm either.

7. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's been a while since I've encountered this, but I'll never forget opening night of 'Daredevil' when the crowd openly threatened a couple with a baby. A few people even got out of their seats and started moving toward them! I've never seen anything like it, and I hope I never do again. Babies don't belong in movie theaters (though the local theater here has 'baby-friendly matinees' on certain weekdays) but that's certainly the wrong way to approach solving the problem.

8. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I have been to midnight showings where babies were present, but that's a whole different problem.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

I had a little girl sitting behind me on Sunday asking her parents questions like "Where is the Hulk?" and "Why does Thor have a hammer?"

That did not bother me much. It was only in the beginning. Maybe they told her to stop. But also it showed she was interested in the movie. Much different than crying babies who are only there because they are forced to be.

10. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Maybe they should change the opening warning to "Please silence your cellphones and babies now. If you cannot control your baby, you will be removed...with fire."

11. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

These are questions that should have been answered during her pre-Avengers superhero movie marathon the day before. :p

12. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

The who the what now?!!?

13. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

People take babies to the cinema? Fuck me

14. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

Wow, I've never encountered babies in a theatre. I'm shocked to hear that parents would actually do that. Get a sitter or wait for it to come out on DVD ferchristsakes.

15. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

I had a preschooler sitting behind me, yelling in my ear and kicking my seat the whole time. "That's Thor. Where's he's going? You know what, you know what, I like that. I want that. It's loud. Why is he green? Who is she? Is she bad?"

Kid did not shut up ONCE. The entire row turned around and glared at the dad, who did nothing. I missed quite a bit of the dialogue and a few of the jokes. I may have to watch it again someday, just to figure out what I missed.

I would say that at least a third of the audience were children under 10. Great parenting, guys.

16. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

The first-grader behind, after every joke, kept screaming, "Oh my god, that's so hilarious!" It took all of my strength not to punch him. The 4-year old next to me kept getting up and moving around while his dad played on his cellphone. The infant in the front row kept crying.

Despite all of these things, I fucking loved the movie. I can't wait to watch it again in the comfort of my own home, where the only distraction is...well...nothing.

At least the 4-year old picked up his garbage at the end of the show. His dad was just going to leave it there.

17. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

It's not just the parents, I'm surprised the ushers or whoever allowed it. Taking a 4-5 year old yeah ok, but a baby? Especially to an friggin action movie, with tonnes of loud noises and explosions and all sorts. How the fuck is a baby not going to make noise through that?

18. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I can't remember the last time I was at a movie that even had an usher working.

19. D Man

D Man Commodore Commodore

At our showing, there was a 4 or 5-year old a few seats over who said with glee "Lokiiii!" every time Loki showed up, at least for the first half or so. Then he fell asleep. I dunno, maybe he just really liked Loki? It was annoying, but not show-ruining terrible.

20. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

I blame parents for bringing in babies. I have a high-threshold for kids who can talk and who seem to like the movie. It's the 20 year old girls there with their boyfriends who get up to go to the bathroom thirty times, and ask for updates when they get back. "Did anything important happen?" she bubbles. "Yes, the sniper failed to take you out," I answer in my head.