Green Lantern: Grading, Review, Discuss, Tracking, Sequel?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Jun 16, 2011.

?

How would you grade Green Lantern?

Poll closed Jan 2, 2012.
  1. A+

5 vote(s)
    3.5%
  2. A

7 vote(s)
    4.9%
  3. A-

11 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. B+

20 vote(s)
    14.1%
  5. B

18 vote(s)
    12.7%
  6. B-

23 vote(s)
    16.2%
  7. C+

10 vote(s)
    7.0%
  8. C

15 vote(s)
    10.6%
  9. C-

13 vote(s)
    9.2%
  10. D+

4 vote(s)
    2.8%
  11. D

3 vote(s)
    2.1%
  12. D-

3 vote(s)
    2.1%
  13. F

10 vote(s)
    7.0%
  1. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Finally saw the Extended Cut, and I have to agree it didn't really add much.

It was a bit worthwhile to see young Hal, Carol, and Hector together from the very beginning, but frankly the shorthand flashback version already gives you all you really need to know-- and actually seems to fit the movie's zippier, more comic booky tone better anyway.

It was a bit strange to see the ring actually choose him earlier, in the nephew's bedroom though, instead of just plopping onto him in the street. I guess it had to mull the decision over for a little while first. lol

Otherwise, I still enjoyed the movie as much as ever. It's definitely comic booky, but I'm perfectly fine with that. And while the final battle DOES fly by a bit fast, it's still a damn cool one. And the rest of the movie seems to flow fine as well (seriously people, I don't understand these complaints about Hal "showing up out of nowhere"-- they clearly show the ring alerting him when there's danger!).

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I still think the film would have been better had they straight up adapted "Secret Origin" instead of revising the original drafts they had and shoehorning it in. That is what the film felt like to me. It still feels like the most rushed superhero origin movie that really wants to get to it's sequel.

3. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

I rented it off On Demand and burned it to DVD, I enjoyed it, and will be watching it again in the future.

I don't really know the comics, so, I can't comment on the "Canonicity" of Hal and his fears, or the portrayal of Hal or of Carol, but, I will say it all worked for me.

I'm not really sure about people's compaints about a lack of character development for Hal, I thought it was fine for a less than 2 hour movie

4. davejames

Yeah same here. There were a couple times when Hal's fear was a bit oversold, but frankly I STILL found it a lot less cheesy and ham-handed than all that "responsibility" talk in the Spidey movies.

And hell, it makes a lot more sense that someone WOULD feel scared and completely overwhelmed after going through what Hal goes through in this movie. No matter how much of a cocky badass they make themselves out to be.

5. Admiral_Young

I am still rather impressed with Blake Lively's performance as Carol given the fact that I originally disliked the casting and thought she would be horrid.

6. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

Just bought the DVD. I had not seen this movie in the theater. My complaint is that the film on DVD is dark! I don't remember the trailers displaying that. But overall I really enjoyed the movie. It was filled with good action, great special effects, an interesting story and pretty good character development. I think Ryan Reynolds was great both as Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern. I also thought he would have been perfect for The Flash. Hopefully we will get a sequel.

7. Admiral_Young

Ryan Reynolds was for a long time attached to David Goyer's Flash project until it finally was abandoned.

8. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I seem to be the only one who thinks the bluray picture looks better than I expected. It has a nice contrast to the image.

RAMA

9. Saxman1

Saxman1 Commodore Commodore

Saw it on DVD with my son. A solid "A" and I'm not a huge fan of the genre. Very impressed. I may get him the Blu-Ray combo pack extended edition if it comes down in price a little for Xmas. He really loved it and is Green Latern for Halloween (he's 10). I was Green Lantern when I was 8, 9 or 10 (I forget) and he didn't even know that when he chose the costume. I also thought "Thor" was first rate.

10. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I picked up my copy today and thought it was fantastic. It was better on blu ray than in 3d.

11. davejames

I wonder how well these are selling. I actually had trouble tracking down an extended edition last week. They were gone from all my Target and Walmarts, and I could only find it at the more expensive Best Buy.

12. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Yahoo Entertainment has listed it's top Turkey films of the year.
    Green Lantern has the dubious distinction of being on the list.
    Not to anyone's surprise though I suppose.

13. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Also worth noting that you can currently buy the extended version bluray DVD combo on Amazon for $9.99

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  14. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Which still sucks.

I've seen both versions, I think, but I wasn't sure what was new, and what was stuff I'd just forgot.

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

The DVD was in the Black Friday movie sale display at the Wal-Mart where I work. It was marked at either $10, or $5 I can't remember which.

16. Admiral_Young

I'm still disappointed that there was no audio commentary on the DVD. It's the only reason why I didn't buy it. Can't believe no one from the film who was involved in it's development wasn't available to record something. Would've been interesting.

17. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

Also on the list:

Really?! As if the Arnie movie was the first Conan ever? Is that really what people think? No wonder they didn't get the reboot.

18. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Even for ten dollars, I can't bring myself to pick this up, and I'm about as big a Green Lantern fan there is.

19. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Now the reason I don't mind Green lantern being a Turkey is because as far as I'm concerned, being a fan of quite another Green Lantern, I'm sure that Hal Jordan is both a Duesh and an asshole that needs to be stopped.

So the movie just confirmed what I knew to be true already,

Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
  20. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

You're a Kyle Rayner fan, then? ;)