THOR: Grading, Discussion, Review **SPOILERS***

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Apr 17, 2011.

?

What grade do you give THOR?

Poll closed Nov 3, 2011.
  1. A+

25 vote(s)
    12.2%
  2. A

48 vote(s)
    23.4%
  3. A-

49 vote(s)
    23.9%
  4. B+

33 vote(s)
    16.1%
  5. B

24 vote(s)
    11.7%
  6. B-

9 vote(s)
    4.4%
  7. C+

5 vote(s)
    2.4%
  8. C

6 vote(s)
    2.9%
  9. C-

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

2 vote(s)
    1.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

3 vote(s)
    1.5%
  1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was also kind of disappointed that they cut Jane's "Holy Shatner!" line that was in the leaked script! I thought that was a great line. She says it when the spatial rift appears in the sky. Regarding Kat Dennings...to me Darcy was a non-entity. Designed to be comedic fodder and nothing more. I felt like she didn't provide anything to the story or characters. She had more lines in the leaked script so I was pleasantly surprised that she was toned down considerably in the actual film.

The Eye of Agamotto (if that is indeed what it was) and the Infinity Gauntlet were in Odin's treasure chamber. I caught the Eye but didn't see the IG. It was heavily rumored prior to the film's release that Thaos would be a Frost Giant but that doesn't seem to have been the case. Seeing the cosmic cube at the post-credit sequence was just a big fan moment for me. I marked out big time for it. Hawkeye's cameo was great in my opinion. That's how you tease!

Thor collected $66 million at the box office. Not too bad.

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  2. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

I actually thought Hawkeye was a bit of a weak moment.

Don't get me wrong, I love the film and love the idea of getting Hawkeye in there. But it was so awkwardly integrated, it was so incredibly obvious his shots were after the fact inserts, and his dialogue was so removed from what the other characters were doing. It screamed "give Hawkeye something cool to say" without first thinking whether they had Coulson reaction shots that were appropriate. And the insert of the reach for the rifle, then the mind change to the bow...ugh. So awkward. It was pretty obvious to me that Branagh had nothing to do with those shots. :lol:

Just a minor annoyance in an otherwise great film, though.

3. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

I was disappointed that we didn't get a "I say thee nay!" line.

4. royalfan5

royalfan5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I gave it a B. I was solidly entertained, but I'm not a huge comic book guy, so there's a lot of stuff that I'm either not hip to, or isn't going to upset me. I will forgive Kat Dennings in any role, so I guess I can't complain about that. I kept wondering if they reused the New Mexico sets from the last Indiana Jones movie.

5. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

I didn't notice any missing plot points in the sense that something important to the story was left out. The script is a thoroughly professional job of work. The proceedings are all too predictable, but that's not so much a failure of craft as, at this point, a too-common failing of the genre.

6. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

An interview with Kenneth Branagh says there are close to 30 minutes of edited footage.
    -More scenes with Frigga
    -More interaction between Odin/Thor/Loki

7. Lt. Trull

Lt. Trull Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Mining colony Sol Asteroid belt, Sol System
    well all that means is you now have to wait for the directors cut special edition dvd to come out, instead of the first one that pops onto the shelves....

8. C_Miller

C_Miller Captain Captain

The scene after the credits was the worst example of a fanboy moment EVER. I consider myself a pretty big comic book fan and I pick up on a lot of the Easter Eggs throughout these movies and they make me happy. That said, this would only mean something to 0.1% of the people watching the movie. Again, I like The Avengers, but this scene really meant nothing to me. Not like the post-credit scenes in Iron Man 1 and 2 or even X3.

9. Satyrquaze

Satyrquaze Vice Admiral Admiral

It was slightly more obscure than some of the references, but without giving too much away, I can say that it very probably it neatly sets up Captain America.

10. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Thor

My Grade: A

----------------------------------------------------

Thor, for me, has always been what I call a "B-list" superhero, the A-List superheroes mostly being those who we all think of when think of as "superheroes" (Batman, Superman, Spider-man) and, right now, I think we're diving into the "B-List" heroes and have been pretty much since "Iron Man."

Not to degrade Thor any but I've honestly never seen him as that interesting of a hero and not much of a main-stream one. That all being said with that thought in my mind I went in with no expectations, indifferent and looking to be nothing but entertained. I was not disappointed.

Thor is a being who lives on another plane of existence and... well, honestly, I'm not sure what any of that was about. But he's heir to a throne of his plane, he pisses of aliens his people are in a cold-war with and winds up banished to Earth, sans his powers until he learns some humility. His brother, back home, is trying to help the plane's enemies make a run for things, somehow Earth is, sort-of, in the cross fire and... bah.

Honestly it's a mess and half the time I wasn't sure what was being said, what was at stake or why I should care, the care is lessened by Earth not being the focus of what is in danger and the most we see of it is is a nowhere town in Arizona.

In spite of all that it's all somehow interesting to watch and sort of fun, especially when Thor arrives in present day Earth mostly at a loss for how to act like anything but an insane LARPer.

That's probably my biggest complaint on the movie is that we don't get much of grasp of what Thor is capable of on Earth and what his purpose here is the movie's entire threat is on his home realm which, for my tastes, isn't presented in a way that's easy to accept. It's an alien race that mostly looks and behaves like a cross between Ancient Rome and The Grid while also being an alien culture with fantastic technologies.

Effects in the movie is good, the interaction between Thor and Natalie Portman is fun (and she looks good as well) but to me the movie is weak when Thor is in his home element and when the movie occasionally dips there following the threats and action there.

It's a good popcorn movie to waste two hours, probably a treat for Thor fans who understand what all of this is and means and why an audience should care one wit about what's going on in Thor's home realm. Yeah, I didn't understand much of what was happening, didn't care for the home area or how it was depicted, the villains were interesting and Thor was decent fun.

Fun movie, not a whole lot of depth. Not for me, at least.

11. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Loki being a giant was in the original mythology. What they changed was him being Thor's brother instead of Odin's.

12. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I would have thought this sets up Avengers stuff more than Captain America stuff. Especially with Loki and the Cosmic Cube stuff.

13. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

I don't think the producers expect Joe Q. Filmgoer to know what the Cosmic Cube is. I'm not entirely sure that's what the surprise moment is supposed to be for that audience. I think the enticement is that Loki is still alive, and is up to something.

It still wasn't that well done, but still, I think Loki is supposed to be the big deal to most people, not the Cube.

14. Admiral_Young

Considering that I've been watching these movies with non comic book fans (pretty much since X-Men) I delight in these moments because I can explain the importance of what these objects/people are to them. :)

15. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I went into Thor with low expectations. I left Thor with those already low expectations largely unmet. I wasn't expecting Branagh to deliver Henry IV Part 1 meets Lord of the Rings, which is what the material calls for, but I was expecting something a little more involving. Branagh's direction is decent, and he elicits acceptable performances from most of the cast, but the script is a bit rubbish. The story's a schizophrenic mess with an inconsistent tone, poorly thought out fan service, and a lack of balance in its Earth and Asgard storylines. Yes, I liked seeing the Warriors Three, I liked the fish-out-of-water aspect, I even liked seeing the Destroyer on a rampage, but it all added up to something that didn't grip me and left me feeling a bit "meh."

16. Admiral_Young

^ That's kind of how I went into the movie but came out feeling satisfied. I will agree that the script is weak, I did get the sense after reading it though that the writers are "Thor" fans.

17. Satyrquaze

Satyrquaze Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, Captain America and the Red Skull had a few famous tussles over the Cosmic Cube.

18. Small White Car

Small White Car Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You think half of the movie was "a mess" and yet that's still an 'A' from you?

I was confused by the high grades in the poll, but if you can think nearly half the movie is a mess and still give in an 'A'...well I guess that may explain the results I'm seeing.

19. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh ok so that cube wasn't the same one Loki had?

20. Admiral_Young

^ Honestly I was puzzled by that grade. From Trekker's review it sounds like he enjoyed it but had a lot of problems with it. For me that'd be at least a C grade. I thought I was conservative giving it a B + LOL.

ObiWan the cosmic cube was different from the object Loki and the Frost Giants were using. That was called the Casket of Ancient Winters which another poster here referred to. The cosmic cube is something the Red Skull has lusted over in the Marvel Universe.