DS9 should get Remastered

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Trekmaster555, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Trekmaster555

Trekmaster555 Ensign

the whole Deep Space nine series should get remastered.

2. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

No, it shouldn't. Why do you think it should, if I may ask? I'm all for upgrading the picture and sound quality, but they shouldn't mess with the effects like they did with TOS-R. Aside from the usually very good FX work on DS9, I don't understand how changing the effects would improve the show story-wise. I for one watch DS9 because of the stories. Effects aren't that important to tell a story.

3. cwalrus2

cwalrus2 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I for one don't understand why they altered TOS. I like to see the episodes as they originally aired. There's just no reason to remaster DS9. Even when you compare the early seasons of DS9 to the early seasons of TNG, the FX hold up quite well.

4. misskim86

misskim86 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think DS9's FX is great, I love that they used models and not CGI.

SAY NO TO CGI

5. -Brett-

-Brett- Vice Admiral Admiral

Why? The visual effects haven't aged that much.

I could see remastering an episode or two to eliminate stock footage (*cough*"WhatYouLeaveBehind"*cough*), but the entire series? Nope. No need for it.

6. Who_Trek

Who_Trek Commander Red Shirt

I don't generally agree with the remastering... I don't think DS9 needs it.

7. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

They don't really have a choice. If DS9 is ever to be aired in HD, the whole thing will have to be remastered. It's unavoidable. That's because DS9 (in addition to TNG and Voyager) was edited on videotape, which is also where all the effects were done. Since videotape is not airable in HD, all effects would have to be redone in order to make it so.

Even if they didn't do *updated* effects, they'd still have to do them all over again, even if they wanted to replicate the original FX exactly.

That being said: They should get rid of the "NX-74205" on the second Defiant. :mad:

Last edited: Mar 4, 2008
  8. Ghostface1701

Ghostface1701 Commander Red Shirt

This could be very expensive, as DS9 has some complicated VFX. Not just battle scenes, but things like Odo's morph will have to be redone as well. Hopefully, they'll have access to the original negatives to make this alot easier. Even then, this will very time consuming and costly.

I can't see DS9 or VOY getting the remastered treatment any time soon, especially as they don't have the same popularity and viewing figures as TOS & TNG.

9. Ghostface1701

Ghostface1701 Commander Red Shirt

FYI: DS9 used CGI for ships as early as Season 3's Explorers. Without CGI, we wouldn't have had some of the impressive battle scenes we saw in later seasons.

10. CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm happy with DS9's effects and I don't really think they need to be remastered.
    Of course DS9 isn't exactly the most popular Trek, and I doubt Paramount would make money on remastering DS9. If they decide to air DS9 in HD they will most likely just upscale the image.

11. Mr. Laser Beam

AFAIK, they can't do that.

Remember what I said about videotape. ;)

12. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

And if they did upscale it (which I don't think is possible) it would look extremely grainy. It would basically look like shit.

13. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

The fact that DS9 was assembled on videotape - like TNG and the other modern Treks - actually means that "remastering" for HD would be so hellaciously complicated that it will probably never be done.

With TOS, film originals of the episodes exist. With the modern Treks, all that exists on film are millions of original shots, pre-editing. Actually, to say that they still exist, much less could be transferred to HD and then edited to recreate the shows, is an optimistic assumption.

The only Trek we'll see in HD other than TOS is the final season of "Enterprise."

14. RTOlson

RTOlson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, I think all of ENT is available in highdef (Wiki). The last season was shot digitally instead of more conventional methods.

I was pleased to see "Star Trek" get the remaster treatment, especially if it helps a new generation find the show. However, I concur that re-doing DS9 would be extremely difficult.

15. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

I would watch TNG remastered if only for the appearance of DS9 in Birthright.

16. Kira Nerys

Kira Nerys Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's fine the way it is now

17. ialfan

ialfan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I would love to see it but it's unlikely. I would say WYLB needs the most work of the entire series just to get rid of all the stock footage. If they start anywhere it should be there.

TNG would definately be done before DS9 and even VOY before DS9 due to it's popularity in other countries.

18. EnsignRicky

EnsignRicky Commodore Commodore

Personally, I think this whole re-ing thing is getting out of hand.

I'm not making plans, I'm re-imagining.

I'm not going to the gym, I'm re-mastering.

I'm not shooting myself in the head, I'm re-booting

Maybe it's time to re-evaluate.

19. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

The wiki entry indicates that "Enterprise" began broadcasting in HD about half-way through season Three.

20. Mr. Laser Beam

Still, the whole series was made to be airable in HD from the start. This is because videotape was never used to edit or to do the effects.

As for TNG, DS9 and Voyager: All of the film footage exists. So they could theoretically remaster all of them as well. It may be complicated beyond imagining, but they could do it. I'm forced to wonder, though, why bother remastering TOS if they didn't have ambitions to do the same for those three series?

Perhaps we'll get a 'Remastered Fan Collective' for each series (or one collective comprising all three).