Boston members are you all OK?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Jim Gamma, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Amasov

Amasov Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Fenway is about a mile and a half away.

2. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

It is my Hometown. And I am happy to hear you are all ok. My thoughts and prayers are with you all.

3. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    My Boston friends have let me know their families are all ok. As others have better said, terrible day for the city. In some ways, it's hit me more than 9/11. There was something...almost unimaginable...in that scale. This...is much closer to what we've experienced in London and Warrington.

4. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Thanks for the kind thoughts everyone.

The eight-year-old boy who died was from Dorchester, which is where I lived when I was eight years old. I'm feeling a little pissed off that I don't work at BMC anymore. I'd like to be in a position where I could do something. I feel useless just watching all this on TV.

Same here.

Yup. And I'm sure that's why it was chosen.

5. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Glad to hear that you are all okay.

6. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

Thanks for starting this thread, Jim. And thanks for all Bostonians for checking in. Sometimes it is good to not be a sporty person.

I really ask myself how someone can be such an idiot as to blow up spectators at a sports event.
    I mean, if people are not content with the government or with the system in general, they are free anytime to found their own party and get elected so that they can alter things. I can also to a degree sympathize with people who assassinate bad politicians (Stauffenberg vs Hitler, for example, though S tried it really in a quite foolish way). But what I completely fail to understand is how someone can even think of killing harmless everyday citizens. Those people are important, politically, as they are potential voters and supporters. Killing them does not at all help any political movement (except, of course, the weapons lobby). Quite the contrary. It's political suicide and utterly stupid, from a strategical point of view.
    Plus: ethically it's so low, mean and disgusting that a word for it has yet to be invented.

I know it's pretty presumptuous but if I may venture to give some advice to the Bostonians: Celebrate the next 15th April just as usual. Have a party and a marathon and enjoy yourselves. Nothing will hurt these morons more than being ignored.
    If you freak out and keep telling to yourselves how traumatized you are (like NY and the US government after the Twin Towers incident - no offense meant to the NY members of this board!), you hand them victory on a silver platter. Don't be such an easy prey!

7. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

3/4 of a mile, maybe? 2 T (subway) stops away. And we're talking green line stops, where you can usually see a couple stops from street level at any point.

And no, Fenway is right in the middle of the city. Slightly out if you have to walk from Faneuil Hall or someething, but pretty much right there. Check it out on the map. Follow I-90 west on the south side of the Charles river, just past Copley Square where this happened, you'll see Kenmore and Fenway.

Before the current owners bought it, they talked about moving the Sox outside the city a bit, onto some waterfront area in Southie. Didn't go through, obviously...

8. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Good to hear that you're all okay. :)

9. jespah

jespah Taller than a Hobbit Moderator

Okay here.

10. Rhaven

Rhaven Captain Captain

As others have said, not quite a mile away from the downtown area of Copley where the finish line was.

Lots of us are walking around today in a fog. Things are moving in Boston, with obvious areas still cordoned off. There are so many police cars all over, it makes me feel safer but we still car pooled to work.

11. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

Glad that everyone is okay. Hugs to you all.

12. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm glad that everyone is okay.

13. RJDiogenes

Thanks for the well wishes, everyone.

Oh, don't worry, that will happen. Patriot's Day has always been a big deal around here and it will now be an even bigger deal. Whatever the bombers hoped to accomplish, they will achieve only the opposite.

14. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

LOL it does have a certain satirical value that you Bostonians live up to the British motto "keep calm and carry on". But then, you still do drink tea as well, in spite of history :D

15. jespah

Hell yeah. Bunch of us are trying to get city permission to run the last mile, Kenmore to Copley, this Saturday. We will not be broken.

16. RJDiogenes

^^ That's fantastic. I'd join you, but I'd probably end up another casualty. Maybe I could walk it.

Not in spite of it. The tea tax was the last straw. "They may take our lives, but they'll never TAX OUR TEA!"

17. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

That makes me think of a line. If the revolution had began in Seattle, it would have been this

18. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

:bolian: You go, guys! I hope you get permission.

19. jespah

No permission for this week but they are trying for later (re the last mile).

Lockdown here (I am in Brighton). Hope all are safe.

20. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

A good friend's roommate moved to Brighton, he's good. But how long can you all be locked up for?