A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Out Of My Vulcan Mind, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

The consequences of the TV show catching up to the books would certainly be interesting, though I'm less certain than some that the show revealing the ending is particularly likely.

Turning to the current season rather than hypothetical future ones, Martin has announced that his contribution to this season, episode seven, has been retitled from "Autumn Storms" to "Chains."

2. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^
    It all depends on the related question, how many seasons will the show run for. Two seasons for Storm of Swords... which suggests anywhere between two and four for the presumed combination of A Feast for Crows/A Dance with Dragons. And then anyone's guess how many seasons the last two books are, and this is all assuming the show doesn't get cancelled for whatever reason at some point (or deal with cast disputes - the've already had to write off notable minor characters, after all).

3. Brendan Moody

^Agreed. There's also the possibility of the TV series taking a year off between seasons, as HBO shows sometimes do. I think Benioff and Weiss have said they anticipate an eight or nine season run, which suggests they expect to spend more than one season on at most one of the four post-Storm books. They may also be thinking of combining Feast and Dance into a single season (perhaps with a little spillover into the seasons preceding and following)-- even given their combined page count, it's hard to imagine getting two years' worth of satisfying story out of those books, let alone more.

4. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^
    I sure hope they are considering condensing those two novels into one season - I think the highlights of AFFC and ADWD could be worked into one solid season (and it would inevitably lose much of the padding), but I don't know how likely that is.

5. Brendan Moody

The question is whether Benioff and Weiss' solution to the pacing problems of those two books is to condense, or to contrive more "dramatic" variant storylines to make them fill multiple seasons naturally. Their approach to the Daenerys material in season two suggests they might be open to the latter. And they have to be thinking about how to avoid catching up to the books; I imagine that taking a freer hand with adaptation of Feast and Dance would feel preferable to making things up entirely based on the few details of Winds and Dream Martin has shared with them.

6. superdeluxe

superdeluxe Captain Captain

7. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

8. Captaindemotion

9. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

Where are they up to on the TV series?

10. Captaindemotion

^Season 3 will air in March. This is likely to incorporate the first half or so of the third book in the series; give or take, as the seasons aren't really exact adaptations of the books.

11. Deckerd

Still plenty of material before they run out then.

12. Brendan Moody

Enough for a fourth and a fifth season at the very least; more if they decide to adapt the most recent books over multiple seasons. I imagine there'll be another book published before they run out of material; the issue is going to be when that book has been adapted and the final one is still two or three years away.

13. Deckerd

Provided the old buffer doesn't turn up his toes before either one is published.

14. Brendan Moody

And provided the show doesn't get canceled before it becomes a problem. And provided a giant asteroid doesn't hit the earth and wipe out all life.

15. Deckerd

Now you're just being fanciful.

16. Brendan Moody

I don't know; I think an asteroid hitting the earth is at least as likely as another book ever being published.

17. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

That's silly. It's at least 60-40 :p

18. Captaindemotion

:guffaw:

19. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, Game of Thrones could always go the anime route and create some filler. Have an entire season or two of original content while they wait for the books to pull ahead.

20. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

The producers know how the story will end, George R.R. Martin told them, if Martin writes too slow the show will simply overtake the novels.