Has 'The Cage' Remastered been aired?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Procutus, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

This may be a dumb question, but a recent article indicated that 'The Cage' was the only remastered ep yet to be broadcast, but the remastered list I have from startrek.com indicated it was to have been shown back in April of this year.

So my question is, have I missed seeing it, or is it still ahead of us?

:confused:

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

It was originally slated for April, but it was pulled. Now it's expected to be broadcast sometime in the next "season" of TOS-R, which will be all reruns except for "The Cage." No word yet on whether it'll be run in a 90-minute block, cut down to fit in an hour with commercials, or what. Maybe the delay was because they're still trying to decide that.

3. gastrof

gastrof Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I still can't find out if my local station is going to run year three of TOSR or not. :(

4. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

Thanks, Christopher! I'll keep my eye open for it.

5. zopman

zopman Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Yeah, I'm a little concerned that my station here in NYC (WWOR, ch. 9) won't continue either. I missed a few of my faves that I wanna see - "Balance of Terror" & "By Any Other Name," as well as "The Cage." I haven't seen any national schedule posted anywhere yet for TOS-R "Season 3." Has anybody else? I'm sure someone would have posted it in a millisecond if CBS/Paramount had released a new sched, & it's getting close to the end of this season's sched. To coin a phrase, I got a bad feeling about this...

Last edited: Aug 23, 2008
  6. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    No, not yet. It'll likely air sometime this fall or winter as the one lone "new" episode in a sea of reruns. But at least we still have one more to go. The Remastering cycle's not done. Not just yet.

7. Turbo

Turbo Changeling Premium Member

Considering that all of the other Remastered episodes were cut down to fit in a standard syndication block, I think it's safe to assume that The Cage will be cut down as well. Which is quite unfortunate; it'll get butchered by the cuts.

8. Outpost4

Outpost4 Vice Admiral Admiral

^ I don't think you can assume this at all. I'm assuming it will lead off a syndication package as a 2 hours special, with bonus features on the remastering, which can be lifted off of the DVD packages, as filler. The special would have a break half way through to make it into two one hour episodes for future re-airing.

9. Rat Boy

Rat Boy Vice Admiral Admiral

Like they did when they first aired it '86 and again in '88 because of the writer's strike? I don't think syndication stations are that flexible anymore about how they block their time.

10. Outpost4

They pre-empt shows all the time for sporting events. I disagree. I'd hate to think of the number of times TOS-R was pre-empted on my local station for sporting events.

11. Rat Boy

Rat Boy Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, but they get more ad revenue from sporting events. Rerun syndication stuff like this is just filler to them. Unless they hold off on this until May to tie into the new movie, I don't see a lot of stations rearranging their schedules for two hours of "The Cage."

12. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

I expected The Cage to lead off the new TOS-R season in September, but according to trekmovie.com it will air in 2009. It will be available earlier (November 2008) on the DVD set.

13. erastus25

erastus25 Commodore Commodore

Considering that the bulk of the episodes are 30+ years old we're lucky most stations show them at all. We're even luckier if it's during the day. The local Boston affiliate shows them at like 1:05 in the morning and for much of the first season the start time was pretty iffy.

14. cooleddie74

Maybe not. All you'd have to do is put the uncut Remastered episode in a 90-minute slot with commercials and you'd have more or less enough time to air the entire thing as it exists on DVD and the older VHS tapes from Paramount. Which can be done since the other 79 episodes are all finished and have been aired.

15. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

Damn, I was hoping it would be shown sometime soon.

Thanks for the info!

16. cooleddie74

If we have to wait THAT long it better air unedited with no sloppy-ass syndication cuts. Those blow hard enough in regular-run TOS episodes we've waited just a few weeks on.

17. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

I just found The Cage here:

http://stagevu.com/video/qieavdwkgfge

It says its the the remastered version, Im not sure though, watching it now..

Edit, after watching it does not seem to be rematered since the sapce effects suck :) Ah well had my hopes up.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2008
  18. Outpost4

It may be the remastered version. The zoom into the bridge dome was flawless. I'd have to get to the Mojave scene to be sure. The matte on that scene was improved a lot.

19. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Well i only watched about 20 minutes (saved the rest to watch later), i dismissed it as the original because the image of the planet TalosIV as they arrived was very bad and outdated, surly if it were remastered they would have done the shot over with CGI. Also some of the sceens seem to jump and not mesh well.

20. GeorgeKirk

GeorgeKirk Commodore Commodore

No, it's the original version. The Enterprise is obviously the original version of the physical model, and the zoom into the bridge dome is very obviously the 1964 version of the shot.