DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

My reasoning is simply based on what has happened before. Marvel and DC are infamous for reverting to original numbering. Also, a clean reboot is fine for a gimmick (to say we have all number ones) but the legacy of Action, Detective, Batman, Superman and such is just too strong. I bet money that, within two years we will see the original numbering return.

An unrelated question, do you think one should be familiar with War of the Lanterns in order to start reading the new GL? In order to understand War, do you need to know Blackest Night and Brightest Day?

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Some knowledge is required but not necessary. Blackest Night and Brightest Day set up War of the Green Lantern Corps.

I think it is silly they renumbered Action and Detective Comics because everyone knows they will revert back...I was just playing devil's advocate given the reasons for it in the first place. They keep saying renumbering those two books were integral to their decision because fans wouldn't it buy it otherwise (seriously they've said this lol) which of course has been the total opposite reaction lol.

3. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

I think it is a fine gimmick, kind of like the 0 issues with Zero Hour. Also, I can't see anybody minding 42 of the titles starting over at #1. But I wish DC just called it Number ONE month or something and reverted the essential books back to their numbering in October.

What has gotten me on board is the concept of same day digital releases (a term that sounds weirdly kinky, doesn't it?) and then the lower priced digital issues coming out only a month later. And, honestly, I think that fact alone is enough to jump start this whole thing.

Does anyone know when we are going to get figures for the digital downloads and sales for the comics?

4. Admiral_Young

^ I would guess same time as the regular monthly sales. I have no idea how they'll be calculating this.

I just checked out the preview for Justice League International #1. Is the first arc taking place in the five years ago period? It seemed like that, and was that Jackson King (AKA Battalion from Stormwatch?) representing the UN? If so this merging has the potential to be awesome.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
  5. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

I've just read the JLI preview, and there has to be some time for both Guy and Booster to appear and to have worked together (a couple of times, if I read the dialogie right, so possibly no JLI history). So i think ti must be modern day, not five years ago.

Not convinced by the preview, but still cautiously optimistic. It's possibly moved into the "wait for price drop" category.

6. Admiral_Young

It's kind of sad in this continuity Michael never knew Ted (or one assumes).

7. Derishton

^ I don't see how any of Infinite Crisis works if this is true, but I guess that's Exhibit A in the "wait and see" category. The things DC is jettisoning - Superman marriage, Wally West, the Blue and Gold - seems like a group that's identical to my favorite DC things, but that's not to say there won't be good new things.

8. Admiral_Young

^ I admit that I'm lamenting without facts...not really sure if Infinite Crisis still happened, I'm guessing not.

9. Derishton

Does it feel to anyone else that saying that superheroes appeared 10 years ago rather than 5 would've been better? Less Robin turnover, after all.

10. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nah. This allows for the characters to be much younger. I don't really care about continuity trivia like "how many Robins can you fit in a year?"

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  11. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, if that's the case I might hold off on Batman then. I'm probably gonna stick with Action and Batgirl though. I forgot about the price drop, so with in play I'll probably just do one or two new issues a week.

13. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Obviously I'm not a collector anymore...they relaunched ALL of DC comics?????

RAMA

14. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

^ I've heard a rumor to that effect. Anyone here know for sure?

15. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes.

16. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Yup.

17. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

If they'd stayed with the 10yr gap then would there have been much need for this massive reboot?

In my mind I see it as something +/- 15yrs since they were on scene modernly with the JSA guys as originals and just a gap between the two.

What was the last timestamp put on the modern heroes intro into society in oldDCU? Anyone know?

18. scnj

scnj Captain Captain

Just bought Action and Detective. The ending of Detective is insane. Reading Action when I go to bed.

19. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

I'll check google.

20. Admiral_Young