Next Titan novel announced

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Defcon, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Part Two of StarTrek.com's interview with Michael A. Martin is online and he has confirmed the next Titan novel, Fallen Gods, currently planned for Fall 2012:

ETA: I've put the quote from the interview into spoiler tags, since I realized it spoils an important development from the Typhon Pact books.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I can't stomach anything Martin writes by himself. Pass.

3. elaithin

elaithin Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm going to try the Enterprise book he just put out, but if it's as bad as his Typhon Pact book was...

Well. That just might be the first Pocket novel I haven't bought in years.

4. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not so sure about the novel myself, but I'm one of the few who actually thought Seize the Fire was one of Martin's better single outings, so I'm cautiously optimistic.

About Andor: Have I missed something? When has Andor joined the Typhon Pact? They seceded from the Federation in Paths of Disharmony, but there wasn't anything about joining the Pact in it.

5. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

maybe that's changed in the new book?

6. CaptainDonovin

CaptainDonovin Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I like the new Enterprise novel though it feels a but rushed through. That I don't blame him, I think TPTB wanted to finish up this series quickly (was to be 3 books, cut to 2) & move on. Looking forward to this new one.

7. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm interested in seeing what happens with the Andorian crewmembers in this new Titan book coming out next year. i enjoyed the new Enterprise novel but there's alot of unanswered questions at the end of the book that will hopefully get a sequel.

8. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Sweet!
    I was wondering how Andor's leaving the Federation woiuld affect Pava

9. nickyboy

nickyboy Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

As I struggled to get half way through Sieze the Fire before I put it down, I will give this one a miss. I wish he would just bury the hatchet with Andy Mangels as all his solo efforts have been plain awful.

A Book about Andorians.... I am sure Therin is very happy about this news.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  10. DrBashir

DrBashir Commander

Pass. Martin needs to get back with Andy. Or Andy needs to go solo. If Martin's name is the only one on the cover I won't even bother thrmbing through it. Been fooled too many times now.

11. Saquist

Saquist Commodore

His books were black listed the last time I read one...just..uninspired. It's night and day compared to AC Crispin Christopher L Bennett who both do a masterful job of painting the scenery and events.

12. danielsf

danielsf Ensign Red Shirt

I thought I was one of the only one's who couldn't stomach 's Martin books. I had to stop reading section 31 & the Romulan war as I found my self procrastinating reading it because I just couldn't engage with the story. I had the same problem with the first two titan novels, but I had to read both to get a decent understanding of destiny trilogy. I will buy the next titan book, but I don't know if I will ever finish it.
    When I say this, I say this as an opinion. I have respect for Martin, and I am sure he is a good writer. I unfortunately I'm just not able to connect with his work.

13. neogothboy74

neogothboy74 Commander Red Shirt

When I clicked this link I was excited that a new Titan novel was on the way, but then I read who was writing it and then not only was I not interested in the book, but I was deeply disappointed as this most likely means that I won't be getting a new Titan novel for a longer time than I expected.

I loved their Section 31 book, which I thought was easily the best of that series, and I loved almost every novel they (Mangels & Martin) wrote together, with one exception, but those kind of numbers aren't bad for any writer(s). It's only been since Martin started writing on his own that I've found the books consistantly unreadable.

14. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Fuck, that's twice I've tried to delete this message (cos it's superfluous) and it just won't bloody go

15. Technobuilder

Technobuilder Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've been slowly (very slowly) reading Martin's ST:Typhon Pact - Seize The Fire and thus far it's been meh. Not terrible, but none to exciting either.

I'm personally of the opinion that Martin & Mangels worked well together as a team (in terms of production), but that Martin's solo efforts have been less than stellar on the whole.

I'm only just starting Chapter 5, and (for the most part) the story just hasn't been as unreadable as I feared it would be based on board criticisms. However, it's just not coming together like I was hoping for either.

Even though it wasn't a favorite book experience of mine, I'd been eager to see the "The Romulan War" sequel in hopes of getting "more", but now I'm hearing reports of the story being rushed with whole plot threads dropped by the wayside...

I'm kinda pissed off by this.

It's hard to know what or who to specifically criticize in terms of Pocket's handling of Star Trek Literature of late (since it's been happening largely behind the scenes), but I get the feeling that by and large it's the authors themselves who have been saving what's left of the line in terms of story direction and keeping it afloat.

If that's the case, then authors who might've done better in the past with more extensive oversight may not be up to producing what they were or have been capable of in the past when given clear direction and a guiding plan.

To be fair, I probably don't know what I'm talking about, and don't understand the inns and outs of "the business" side of things...

It might not even BE anyone's fault.

I just can't get past this overall feeling I have that Trek Literature at Pocket is adrift without a life preserver.

As a result, each individual novel seems to be more of a crapshoot of late that it had been in the past over the last 10 years, especially in terms of unified story cohesiveness, plotting, and attention to detail across the larger universe.

Some novels have been outstanding while other have been mediocre with just a few having been terrible. Maybe that's just the way of things, but as someone who's been buying books since 2001 practically every month, I'm buying far fewer books than I used to.

And while I would have definitely picked up a new Titan Book without thinking about it regardless of author in the past... It's more likely I won't here and in the future since Martin hasn't proven himself to be one of the standout authors who (in my opinion) works well without a net.

Anyways, just my thoughts.

16. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

17. Technobuilder

Technobuilder Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^That was funny.

And slightly mad.

18. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

:lol: That put a smile on my face.

For my part, I'm pleased we're getting another Titan book, and that the novel line is continuing the Andorians' story arc. They've become an integral part of Trek lit in my eyes, and I'm eager to see how "Liberated Andor" is doing...and how Pava and other Federation officers are handling things.

19. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't understand Pocket at times. You'd think that somehow they'd be getting some sort of feedback of what fans want, and they somehow seem to go a different route. I know that TrekLit is a business, plain and simple. But a business depends on demand and supply. Fans have been wanting more DS9 for a while, so you'd think they would supply. Fan-reaction to Martin's work is less then stellar, so why keep supplieng?

Personally, I'm of two minds here. I love to see more Andorians, but I'm still strugling with Seize The Fire, and would much rather ser a different author tackle this. I'm curious what Kirsten Beyer could do with Titan....

20. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Well, one can't assume that the responses of the relatively small number of fans who post on bulletin boards are representative of the audience as a whole. Publishers go by actual sales figures, and you can't always predict sales figures from online reactions. For instance, going by BBS comments, you would've thought that Christie Golden's post-finale Voyager novels were widely hated, but their sales were strong enough that they went back for multiple printings.