Smallville 8x05 "Committed" - Discuss/Grade <SPOILERS>

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by nx1701g, Oct 16, 2008.

?

Grade Committed

1. SUPER

4 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. Above Average

16 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Average

8 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. Below Average

4 vote(s)
    12.5%
  5. BIZARRO

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Maybe all the Lex and Tess barking and threatening and unreasonable demands is how it's like writing for Smallville.

"What the hell is with this two-part story arc? Give Lois a concussion here and Jimmy a concussion there and you can wrap it up in one episode! And you better find a spot to play that song or else I'll send you back to writing Depends commercials! This is the CW -- not some Mickey Mouse operation!"

2. Chess Piece Face

Chess Piece Face Commodore Commodore

This season has not been as bad as I feared BUT the kryptonite jewelry and the lie detector was just too much for me. That had to be the most contrived episode ever. I mean, they LITERALLY PUT THEM IN A LIE DETECTOR AND ASKED THEM WHO THEY LOVED.

Come on! Also, I don't believe Chloe doesn't love Clark for one second.

3. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

^ I really think they should have kept the Kryptonite truth sereum.

4. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Don't be part of the problem when you could be a mindless drone slavishly cronying to the insane writers or this... O.

She held a torch while working at the Torch.

The last guys in charge painted the new management into a tight corner.

They could do what they did on Grey's Anatomy?

Meredith and George, finally slept together and then she started crying before he had completely finished because it was so terribly unrewarding and then told him it was the worst sex she had ever had.

I wonder if something akin to that would work on Smallville?

5. LaxScrutiny

LaxScrutiny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, but how many of your bosses became billionaires?

Mind you, she became a billionaire through some kind bizarro inheritance scheme... Even so, Lex should have taught her something besides barking.

Or Millar and Gough should have taught the new guys how to write a good villain. Lionel, Lex, Brianiac, they could write a nice bit of evil. Evil Lana was great last year, chaining up Lionel in a shack.

What Tess lacks is duplicity. When you get all bark and bite, you know you're dealing with a mad dog. She has no subtlety, she doesn't string anyone along. She's just not interesting to watch compared to what we've had in the past.

Meanwhile, it's one thing that Chloe had a high school crush, it's something else that she planted a wet one on Clark just before he ran off to fight General Zod. So fine, Jimmy comes along. But apart from being relentless in pursuing her, there's nothing there for her to be so in love with Jimmy.

Jimmy is just the normal safe guy you end up dating/marrying when the crazy guy you were madly in love with didn't work out. She likes him, she doesn't love him, and in fact, she doesn't trust him. Not with her healing secret initially, and not now with her Brainiac-brain power.

They just flicked the switch and made her forget Clark and love Jimmy without really writing it into the storyline.

As for 'Committed' and krypto bracelet, at least out of the three suspects, the bracelet was made by the jeweler. I guess if it was the stationer, it would have krypto-embossed envelopes or something.

The have to take a tip from the comics and stop making the show about Clark being powerless, and make the drama about other people getting themselves into danger. That's why Lois was so hubris-filled, the stories were really about her, Cark/Supes were really secondary to the drama.

6. Kryton

Kryton Admiral Admiral

:lol: I can't help but picture the poisonous invitation envelopes that killed George's fiancee on Seinfeld. :D

7. Guy Gardener

Well?

A season or so before Jimmy showed up, Chloe admitted that she lost her virginity to Jimmy during her summer internship between seasons. "The first" is some powerful mojo for a lady if she remembers his name or what he looks like... And first boff trumps first puppy crush.

8. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

I haven't had any billionaires, I have had multimillionaires though.

9. Guy Gardener

We don't know how rich she is, because she's just management, not the owner of the company, not that she doesn't have the authority to quadruple her pay for no reason? Besides, that company bankrupted Lex every second week end and he had to build it all up again from another over and over again.

10. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

I recall them mentioning that Lex had signed everything over to her so she'd be a billionaire now.

11. Guy Gardener

Well, she is living in his house, and probably sleeping in his bed and drinking his scotch... So that kind of makes sense, but leaving her as second to the running of the company takes 12 seconds for a change over of power... Meanwhile Lex's personal wealth and property would be tied up in probate for quite the duration not that all of Lionel's illegitimate offspring weren't clawing at the idea of a free meal... What happened to that half brother from season on/two?

I don't doubt that's what you heard because it might have been what they said but the diffence between what's concieveable and what you say is true, is probably a misplaced comma. And that's Exactly what got Ed fired and practicing law out of a bowling alley.

12. Guy Gardener

I rewatched the first two episodes of season 8.

“Tess Mercer. My access is unrestricted. Per Lex’s written instructions I am now the acting CEO of Lex Corp and all it’s subsidiaries.”

Out of the gate, after a remark about penguins or some hodgepodge about the cold she said the above. Although according to the working theory that Lex isn’t dead, then no one can have been willed any of Luthor’s personal assets… O, they could be secretly married? Not a marriage of love mind you, but as a tool to afford Tess immediate power to work in his interest if something happened to the boy billionaire?

Y’know with Arthur already on the scene, a Lori Lemars story doesn’t seem outside the world of possibility considering AC has no idea about his legacy or destiny as the King of Atlantis which humorously enough should make him quickly infinitely more wealthy than Olvier’s + Luthor’s fortunes combined. Lets not forget the army. Thousands of superhuman fishmen willing to die and kill on his whim.

I was reading an old Adventures of Superman comic recently, and I had no idea that Lori was Telepathic. Well I suppose (comics) Aquaman is too, but there are dozens of notable undersea kingdoms supporting a wide variety of branches of homomermanus subspecies… But she seemed to use telepathy as a primary method of communication with no concern for the privacy of mundanes. It’s be that little teep kid all over again, and a love triangle all over again, except this time Clark loses.

Is it my imagination or is Tess’ new gaggle of Superfriends going to be called “The Justice League” before Olivers group actually patents the rights?

13. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Lex wasn't the greatest boss in the world either, but at least he was a somewhat multi-dimensional character. Tess is like David Moyes, she has two emotions - angry and about to be angry. (The Brits here will know what I mean)

14. LaxScrutiny

Christ, if she was fucking his wife on top of all that, ratings would go through the roof!

15. Guy Gardener

Lana or Doctor bitch that crashed his pane into the middle of the ocean?

I wouldn't mind the return of the British airess lex sent to the poorhouse in seaon one... Y'Know if someone was intent on revenging on the bald bugger.

I really don't think lesbians mean the maverick ratings they used to because it's less a peverse fetish and more every day Joe sixpack and hockey mom regularity.

16. LaxScrutiny

Maverick? No, no, James Garner, I mean two hot babes having sex. Who wouldn't want to watch that?

17. Guy Gardener