will there be a new star trek game for 50th anniversary?

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by tmosler, Feb 9, 2014.

1. tmosler

tmosler Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

After the commercial failure of the last star trek game and after playing great star trek games such as bridge commander and recently elite force i am really wanting a good star trek game to be made with modern graphics. So i was wondering just as we got the critically acclaimed star trek trek 25th anniversary for star treks 25th anniversary does anybody think its possible we could see another star trek game released in 2015?

2. Runetouch

Runetouch Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I certainly hope so.

3. Roddenberry

Roddenberry Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I hope they go retro, point & click games for all series please. 10 Chapters for each of the live action shows, 5 unlockable animated series mini games.

Example Chapters
    TOS: It was green.

You need to find Scotty and sober him up in time, by using the correct 'hair of the dog' cocktail.

TNG: Make It Go

Trapped on a planet with some Pakleds and a beautiful woman, can Geordi find the parts needed to get off world and get a first date?

DS9: Quark's Elite.

In deep trouble with the FCC, can Quark trade his way to getting Brunt off hid back.

Voy: Dead Again.

Harry Kim is dead, again, you need to search the multiverse to find a suitable replacement.

Enterprise: Menagerie a Troi

Phlox's mini zoo has escaped and they are playing havoc with the current owner of the Sacred Chalice of Rixx and heir to the Holy Rings of Betazed. Can Porthos and Phlos wrangle the livestock back in time to save face?

4. Cascades

Cascades Ensign Red Shirt

I could see that as a likely possibility. It would probably coincide with the movie though. After the failure of the last game they might hand over the project to a different company or maybe not make it a FPS and instead a space sim. or something like that. Could be cool :)

5. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

I hope they combine Star Trek Legacy, Star Trek Bridge Commander, Star Trek Armada, and Star Trek: Voyager: Elite Force (their first person shooter was the only one I could stomach) and make the perfect Star Trek game. Done by Bethesda of course, a single player game with multi-player options.

6. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I doubt it, unfortunately. The last Trek game had a lot of money pumped into it and failed miserably. I wouldn't be willing to spend on a new game after that, and I'm a die-hard superfan!

A most, we'll get something cheap and downloadable like Star Trek DAC tying in to the next movie.

7. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I wouldn't hold my breath!

8. daedalus5

daedalus5 Rear Admiral Moderator

They need to do something low cost and multi platform. Something like 25th anniversary or A Final Unity that would work on tablets, pcs and game consoles. Get some of the TV writers to pen episodes and make you care like The Walking Dead from Telltale.

9. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

How about a 25th Anniversary Edition of the 25th Anniversary game? Same game, but with the graphics updated as much as possible while leaving them the same on all platforms, and an option to play through the adventure in Prime Trek or Nu Trek modes. :techman:

10. JeBuS

JeBuS Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I vote for a combination of daedalus5's idea and Triumphant's idea. I've played both TWD from Telltale and the 25th, and it'd be awesome to have a Trek combo of those.

11. daedalus5

daedalus5 Rear Admiral Moderator

I just need something! :)

Its pretty depressing thinking back to the mid-90's to early 00's hey day of gaming vs the current sad state of affairs.

Even if someone could go back and get all the old games working under Windows 7 properly!

12. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

^^We did not realise just how good we had it then.

I wish the GOG team could get access to the older ST games, they do such a good job of getting old pc games to work perfectly on a moden pc, i just bought Dungeon Keeper 1 and 2 from them and they are simply fantastic, work flawlessly on my W7.

13. Caretaker

Caretaker Commodore Premium Member

Does anyone know who holds the computer and video game license now?

I'd like to see some of the older games (Birth of the Federation, 25th Anniversary, A Final Unity, just as examples) remade to play on current systems - similar to what LucasArts did with The Secret of Monkey Island Special Edition.

That being said, my Holy Grail is Secret of Vulcan Fury. If they could get D.C. Fontana to rewrite the script for the alternate reality, they could use Spock Prime in the game and use the original voice recordings as him remembering participating in those events in the prime reality.

14. soapp

soapp Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Id really love to see a great Star Trek game, but when you see movie license games or the travesty called 'star trek trexels' ... I'm not holding my breath, seems like it's a cash in more then something for the fans.

I don't think Roddenberrywould have approved Trexels.

15. StalwartUK

StalwartUK Captain Captain

Would love to see that happen, but I have a feeling that trying to negotiate with the original publishers/developers (some of which are no longer in business) would be a nightmare from a legal perspective. Then of course they would have to OK it all with CBS who might not bother or just put it out of their price range.

16. Paul Weaver

Paul Weaver Vice Admiral Premium Member

Yes, same style as 25th anniversary/judgement rites/final unity, but with a new storyline.

Perhaps something epic, spanning Enterprise, TOS, TNG, DS9 and VOY.

Or perhaps a remake of BOTF, but done right.

17. Yosef Lindell

Yosef Lindell Lieutenant Red Shirt

If someone wants to remake my 25th anniversary/judgment rites style game, Star Trek: the Continuing Voyage in time for the 50th anniversary, I certainly wouldn't complain :)

18. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've lost track of when the last successful Star Trek game was made... the late 1990s? Whenever Bridge Commander came out.

So I vote for no. Let's not do this again. Obviously a great Star Trek game cannot be done anymore with the limitations of the new gaming model: force users to play online, suck the money out of them on a pay-to-play basis. This is for PC and mobiles. As for consoles, I certainly enjoyed Legacy but most everyone hated it and with a few minor tweaks it could have been an excellent game... but something's wrong. The really creative, open world concept is not working for console ports. Instead they're cranking out (phoning in) titles like last year's movie pre Into-Darkness game... if that's the caliber of the offering then I prefer the relative silence like the last decade or so. It's dead, Jim.

Most games now are way too dependent on the story to offer any real value of open world exploration. And for a title like Star Trek, that's ridiculous. Exploration is at the core of the franchise. If Mass Effect can get it done, why not Star Trek? Laziness. Complacency. Shareholders. Gone are the days when a single player driven story could hold countless possibilities. Now, the single player mode trains the player for multiplayer mode - which often disappoints.

Someday we'll have a great Trek game but it'll be in the hands of indie developers and collaborators at no profit. For instance:EGA Trek. I dumped hours (days?) into playing this back in the days when you were pimpin' with a 386. Anyone else enjoy this gem? A radical combat/exploration masterpiece using ascii characters only and completely free from Paramount's licensing grip. I'd gladly do away with the theme song and trademarked characters if the game actually allowed me to feel like I was exploring the galaxy, beaming down to planets and performing missions, etc.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek_%28text_game%29

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  19. HIjol

HIjol Vice Admiral Admiral

Though this thread is a little dated, and I KNOW this is probably NOT the kind of game you mean, but how I would LOVE to see a "Star Trek Jeopardy-like" game...couldn't you just see Quark, or maybe Shatner(!) emceeing the thing???

"...Starships for 200, Bill..."

:guffaw:

20. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No - that's actually a perfect idea because they wouldn't be able to fuck it up. For a game, I mean. A Jeopardy-like quiz game that could be played in a browser or something. That's essentially the best they could do.

Nice idea.