I can never decide which episode to watch

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Mr_Homn, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Mr_Homn

Mr_Homn Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

then i end up wasting a bunch of time trying to decide and end up not watching one. i need to figure out a system.

how do you decide which episode to watch?

2. Botany Bay

Botany Bay Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We work our way through by one of these ways :

Airdate
    Reverse airdate
    Production

3. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Lucky dip.

Or follow a theme, ie. all Andorian eps, or visits by relatives, or first contact stories.

4. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

I know which episodes are my favorites and I pick from that mental list I have. I'll grab a season at random and then I know which ones to watch from that season.

5. Terran_Empire

Terran_Empire Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I agree in the categorization approach. Ship battles, search and rescue, mysterious anomalies.

6. A.V.I.A.F.

A.V.I.A.F. Captain

I ask my wife.

7. Esteban

Esteban Commander Red Shirt

Since I have seen every episode an average of 40 times, I try to pick the ones on the low side of average.

This means, of course, I find myself often in the 3rd Season of late.

So, if you are in need of sleep, give my plan a try. Nothing like "The Empath" to induce rest. Still awake? Try "Mark of Gideon" or "The Cloud Minders". "Lights of Zetar" would otherwise work, but I'm such a huge Jimmy Doohan fan.

8. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Depends on my mood. Sometimes I want a Kirk-heavy, very serious episode so I'll go with an early first seasoner. Other times, I want to relax with an episode where everyone is comfortable and friendly, so mid-second season gets a pick. Then there are times I want a dead serious, but over the top episode with spooky overtones. Third season ahoy! Within those parameters, I make more choices:

Space or planet?

Climax with phasers, speeches or a fistfight?

Episode I've seen a million times in three years or one I haven't totally worn out?

Am I in the mood for a less- than-good episode?

Do I want the new effects, the BD or DVDs? Or the old laserdisc prints?

This all sounds complicated, but making these choices at the speed of thought isn't so long. These things make up my moods.

Other times I'll just grab and DVD and pop it in and just hit play.

9. Mr_Homn

Mr_Homn Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah this is a problem, season 3 is also my least worn out, so i tend to watch it more, but of course when I try to watch season 3 I can only make it through 1 or 2 episodes and it usually leaves a "lacking" taste in my mouth, and end up wishing i watched season 1 or 2, but i know those too damn well!

I wish there were more episodes.

At least when they re-re-re-release them in Ultra 3d Smell-o-vision everything will seem new again

10. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

i know the feeling, not just with Trek, but when I fancy a DVD/BR I can't decide which one.

11. StevenR

StevenR Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Make it a theme night.

Monday: Spisodes where Kirk talks a computer to death.
    Tuesday: Someone dies and is revived by the end of the episode.
    Wednesday: Kirk tells some native culture their god is a lie. Thursday: Chekov screams.
    Friday: Redshirt = Deadshirt
    Saturday: Someone a main character knows ends up dead.
    Sunday: Love and/or Revenge is in the air.

12. Valin

Valin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The first two would make very short themes. There's only one Andorian episode and only one visit by relative episode (and they're the same one).

13. Kalontas

Kalontas Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I'm afraid that would give you only four mondays and a whooole lot of fridays!

I'm so far watching tOS for the first time, so I'm proceeding via air date. At the first half of season 2 right now.

14. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

I've never been any good at just picking an episode and watching and being satisfied (with any Show). Once I watch an episode, I start thinking about all the great episodes (And arc points, in arc'ed Series) in the Series, and want to keep on watching. So, when I feel in the mood to watch something, I just go for the first episode, and watch straight through (Of course, for those who know the series well enough and what episodes they can't stand, they can simply skip those episodes they don't like)

15. Bones_McCoy21

Bones_McCoy21 Commander Red Shirt

Love the week plan. You would also get a whole lot of sundays too. Be wary of the 3rd season. My mom and I agree that the 2nd season is the best. The 3red season however in my opinion and my freinds SUCKS on soooo many levels. It's hard to find an episode where somebody doesn't kiss sopomebody.:borg:

16. Destructor

Destructor Commodore Commodore

I've been getting the blu-ray sets and am about halfway through S2- I just watch the next episode in order (skipping certain craptacular episodes that I never wish to see again).

17. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Bite your tongue.

"Journey to Babel", "Gamesters of Triskelion", "Whom Gods Destroy", "Lights of Zetar", then throw in "Yesteryear".

Well, I was thinking TNG eps with that one. It was almost a soap opera of forgotten and estranged relatives.

18. Lucky

Lucky Captain Captain

I don't really have much of a process. I look at summaries of all the episodes somewhere like wikipedia to refresh my memory on them, then pick one that I remember liking but has been a while since I've seen it.

19. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

I use a random number generator - Season;episode number. I keep a list on my iPhone - crossing off numbers as I go. If a previously selected episode comes up before completion, I simply generate another random choice. This technique works incredibly well, keeping things as "fresh" as possible.

20. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

Netflix plays them in order for me:lol: Yesterday it was 'Catspaw', today it will be 'I, Mudd':D