What else is coming?

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Starkers, May 20, 2013.

1. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Evil, along with 10th Planet and Power of the Daleks, is pretty much the least likely story to turn up, as they had the fewest overseas sales apart from Mission to the Unknown and Masterplan (which had no actual overseas sales - though Australia did get copies to look at before they rejected them, and there's some ambiguous evidence of a separate sale of Mission to Singapore).
    That said, it's not the number of sales that really matters now, just the number of copies-unaccounted-for. From that point of view I find it significant that more single episodes have been found from Masterplan than for any other story... as if there were a lot of spare copies already created and hence lying around to go missing when the problem with selling it overseas came up. But... that wouldn't help Power or Evil, as the reduced sales for the rest of season 4 mean Enterprises might not have made as many copies as they had for Masterplan (due to problems with Terry Nation, Power, Evil and 10th Planet weren't included with the initial season four package, but were released later once Nation's plans for a Dalek series had failed).

2. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

Mission and Master Plan WERE sold to Australia; they purchased an order of 20 episodes from Galaxy 4 Episode 1 to The Daleks Master Plan Episode 12 (minus The Feast of Steven) but ultimately chose not to show them.

Just like New Zealand purchased The Crusade and The Ice Warriors but never screened them either.

Australia were also sent two trailers for The Daleks Master Plan but are missing like the main episodes.

3. Candlelight

After holding back Galaxy 4 3 and The Underwater Menace 2 for six months and getting heaps of flak for it, I doubt they'd do that again, even for the anniversary.

4. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

No, Australia didn't purchase those stories. As diankra says, the ABC were sent prints of those 20 episodes for evaluation in advance of possible purchase, and ended up purchasing Galaxy 4 and The Myth Makers but, due to censor judgments, not Mission to the Unknown or the 11-episode version of The Daleks' Master Plan. And that's why there were no other overseas sales-- other countries relied on Australia to cover the bulk of the rights clearance costs, and because they hadn't, no one else could afford those particular stories.

5. diankra

That's what I was about to query, whether Australia had actually bought and paid for Mission/Masterplan, as the current received wisdom is that ABC didn't, so that meant the clearances weren't done, so Worldwide couldn't sell them anywhere else - at least not at the prices the other stations could afford given their small audiences.
    But it's all open to change as new evidence turns up, and I might be out of date... not had the chance to get the new edition of Wiped! for starters...

6. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If McGann has a mini series, my life will be full of pretty flowers, magcal ponies, and all that stuff! :P

In other words, I will be so happy if they do that. Whether in his old or new look, I don't care as long as we see McGann again. I won't even care if one minisode has a gay ghost making the TARDIS pink or whatever, as long as it has McGann! I've always loved the McGann doctor, but seeing he's only in one episode to date, he isn't my favourite, although he has still managed to be my second favourite. Maybe if they do a mini series, it will be enough fro me to have him as my favourite doctor! I do so hope so!

7. Candlelight

No, they didn't, my bad:

http://gallifreybase.com/w/index.php/The_Daleks'_Master_Plan

8. diankra

Picking up on a point in there, you know we could solve all the arguments over whether a character who's only in one story really counts as a companion by just ignoring the production codes and declaring Marsperplan to be three linekd stories, like Trial of a Time Lord sometimes is - a six parter, a one parter and another five parter (or even split the last five... sort of, The Daleks Masterplan, The Feast of Steven, The Monk's Revenge, The Destruction of Time) ;)

9. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I long ago decided that people who argue that Sara Kingdom isn't a companion because "she's only in one story" weren't actually familiar with "Daleks' Master-Plan" at all. Sara Kingdom sees more time zones than Harry Sullivan! :)

10. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Aye, Sara Kingdom is absolutely a companion.

I'll never buy RTD's bullshit that Astrid, Jackson Lake and Rosita (???) are companions though. Just dumb.

11. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't have a problem with Astrid; she clearly would have been, had she not died.

I thought what RTD said about Jackson Lake was that the Doctor was his companion. :)

And Adelaide Brooke? Absolute not a companion. If she is, then so is Clent from "The Ice Warriors." :)

12. diankra

He didn't get in the TARDIS and have a trip, she did. But if that's enough for her to count, then you have to include the other two survivors from Bowie Base. And huge numbers of other people too...

13. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Like Einstein

14. Candlelight

I always point people to the companions montage from Resurrection of the Daleks, which featured a (very) recently returned shot of Sara Kingdom from DMP5 (like the episodes were found in July and the shot utilitsed in September or something like that).

Of course the montage does omit Leela for production reasons... namely they forgot...

15. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

I never understood the obsession that some people have with the "Companion" status, who is worthy of it and who isn't. In the show, the Doctor doesn't care, he barely uses the term himself, he's usually talking about his friends, friends who travel with him, and he doesn't come up with complicated rules about who is and who isn't included on the short list.

16. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Hell Jackson Lake didn't even get to go in his own Tardis :(

17. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

^True, but then again the Doctor is a mad man (with a box).

18. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Yeah true. That was just one of the things I really didn't like about the Next Doctor. Jackson Lake was essentially sidelined in the second half. He wasn't even allowed to save his own son or go for a flight in his own Tardis.

19. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And Richard M. Nixon.

20. diankra

But not Churchill. The Doctor doesn't trust Churchill enough to let him have access to the TARDIS, yet he'll let Nixon in. ;)
    Mind you, I have a vague feeling that Churchill does get a trip in one of the books - maybe Shadow in the Glass.