Mockingbird Lane - It didn't suck!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral2, Oct 27, 2012.

1. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nah. This is the same network that broadcasts cop shows where we see grisly bodies and murder scenes, hear stories about children being molested, and all sorts of people committing suicide. They can't use that as an excuse without being very hypocritical.

2. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

But the protagonists are the ones doing "evil things." That upends that tidy broadcast sense of morality. It's not the gore per se that scares the suits.

PS, I watched the episode at NBC's website if anyone is interested in giving it a shot, it's still there.

3. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

good point

4. Amaris

I see your point, though I've seen the "good" guys on SVU do some seriously messed up shit in their pursuit of "justice".

5. Kitty Worrier

Kitty Worrier Vice Admiral Admiral

But those cop shows, the cops usually get the criminal. ;)

Temis said it in a better way than I did, it's the morality of the protagonists having such gray morality, not the gore that makes it dark.

Plus, I wouldn't put it past NBC to do something hypocritical. :cool:

6. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Loved it. Izzard was clearly the show's comedic heart, and the rest of the cast was smart and fun to watch, too. And the justification for Spot was perfect!

Please, someone pick this show up!

7. Amaris

Point taken. I would just like someone to pick the show up. I would definitely watch it.

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought of something after it ended. What if instead of a weekly series, they just did it as an annual Halloween thing?

9. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

^Well, Eddy would change a lot.

10. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

I thought it was a very enjoyable hour of television, and would love to see more on the off-chance that that's in the cards. It struck just the right chord between faithfulness for fans of the original and freshness for new viewers and those looking for something different.

Izzard was the standout as Grandpa, and delivered a funny and compelling performance as someone who makes no apologies for what he is yet still loves his family a great deal. An almost unrecognizable but still gorgeous de Rossi also gave a great performance as the more conflicted Lily. O'Connell's Herman was somewhat subdued, but still well done, and the kid playing Eddy did a good job as well. Marylin was the only one who was so so and not really noteworthy. I thought the supporting players of the scoutmaster and the neighbor's wife brought memorable performances to their short time onscreen.

The production design for the show was fantastic, from the standing sets of the interior of the mansion, to the exterior shots, and to the CGI Grandpa as full monster and Spot. I thought Lily's methods of entering, getting dressed, and uh, getting excited were extremely well done.

I don't understand what NBC was expecting tone-wise for this either, as it was right in Bryan Fuller's dark, quirky, morbidly amusing wheelhouse. I hope it gets a second chance, because I think it would be a great companion to Grimm and solid counterprogramming to ABC's Once Upon a Time.

11. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

I'm not sure how reciting an Iconic Quote from Babylon 5 makes you believe I was calling you a moron, so, all I can do is say I'm sorry and tell you there was no intention whatsoever to imply any lack of intelligence

12. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

On rewatching I think Marilyn is my second-favorite character - mainly for her scenes with Grandpa. Her false front of normality makes her creepier than most of the rest of the family.

Herman and Lily are the real "normal" couple, emotionally - mainly expressed through their concern for Eddie's well-being and a little frisson of domestic angst. Grandpa is a monster who views humanity as prey. Marilyn is conflicted, like everyone but Grandpa, but hers is that she's a monster who empathizes with the prey.

Her delivery of "then they've found a home at last" is one of the most delightfully weird character moments in the show, and very much Bryan Fuller.

13. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Yeah, Marilyn was surprisingly creepy. I loved the whole bit with the realtor at the beginning.

"We prefer it pre-cleansed."

14. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

You know there's a lot of material for Fuller and company to dig into there with her mother/Grandpa's other daughter who's absent - and bravo to them for touching on that back story (along with most of Herman's) only very lightly in the pilot.

Damn, the more I think about this show the more cheated I'm feeling. :lol:

15. wissaboo

wissaboo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I really enjoyed it and would watch if it were a series. I agree, Marilyn was the creepiest. I liked Herman too.

16. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Yeah, with Marilyn returning home from college, you wonder if she left behind a string of unsolved murders there. If the show had continued she may have turned out to be the most "evil" character on it.

17. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm on board with the "Marilyn should be the biggest monster" twist, too. So much potential in this show, it would be sad to see NBC waste it.

18. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Completely agree. Out of all the characters, Marilyn's is most like the original physically, but within ... ? Grandpa is fun to watch, but Marilyn is the most intriguing.

19. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

Agree.:techman:

20. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think Fuller hinted she was exactly that in some of the interviews.

In fact, if you think about it, that's actually a very logical conclusion. The rest of the family can't help what they are. They're monsters. One could argue they have to engage in at least some "monstrous" behavior to survive. Not so, Marilyn, however. She chooses to live among them, even after Grandpa suggested she might want to move away.

When you consider her role as the human face of the group, who finds them a home, takes Grandpa around the neighborhood, etc., she's basically a pretty Renfield.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2012