Who should be the Director for Star Wars Episode 7?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by PlainSimpleJoel, Oct 31, 2012.

?

The Choices (Select up to 4 only)

Poll closed Dec 30, 2012.
  1. J.J. Abrams

26.6%
  2. Jon Favreau

17.0%
  3. Duncan Jones

22.3%
  4. Rian Johnson

3.2%
  5. Sam Mendes

6.4%
  6. Edgar Wright

5.3%
  7. Neill Blomkamp

13.8%
  8. Matt Reeves

2.1%
  9. Brad Bird

31.9%
  10. Frank Darabont

7.4%
  11. David Yates

5.3%
  12. Matthew Vaughn

10.6%
  13. Alfonso Cuarón Orozco

7.4%
  14. Guillermo Del Toro

19.1%
  15. Ridley Scott

13.8%
  16. Other (say whom)

33.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

So with the news of there being Episode 7 in 2015, and that Lucas won't be the director. Who should it be?

I found a few pages like this one - Top 10 Directors ..., and this one.

I've put these 10, plus a few others that I've found.

2. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

My first few "dream" picks: Joss Whedon, Duncan Jones, Rian Johnson.

3. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Duncan Jones was the first director that came into my mind, when I heard about this. Would love to see Joss involved (but depends on other things).

4. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Joss Whedon would be an excellent director for Star Wars, but then again I think Whedon should direct every movie ever made. Other than that, I dunno. It would be fantastic to see Irvin Kershner take another stab at Star Wars, but the whole being dead thing might prove to be a difficult obstacle to overcome. I like the idea of giving a semi-unknown a chance to put his/her unique style on the film, so Duncan Jones could prove interesting. He has my vote in this poll.

5. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Joss Whedon was the first name I looked for on that list. Hence, I vote OTHER.

6. BoxWhatBox

BoxWhatBox Commander Red Shirt

No one does an epic better then Peter Jackson.

7. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Irvin Kershner is dead.

Duncan Jones is my top pick followed by Neil Blomkamp. Young, hungry directors who have both proven they can bring the goods to a sci-fi action movie. Also the model work in Moon I mean come on lost art that movie was gorgoeus.

Del Toro gets a sign-off too because you know if he was in it the aliens would look beautiful, strange, and probably be played by Duncan Jones.... Scott for his excellent sense of SF style (say what you want about Prometheus, it looked great).

J.J. Abrams would make a great Star Wars movie, but I rather like him right where he is right now.

8. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Either David Fincher or Cameron Crowe.

I would also be interested in Euros Lyn.

9. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd go with Señor Spielbergo, but Whedon is an excellent suggestion. JJ isn't a bad idea either.

10. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Betcha it'll be Spielberg.

11. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Abrams made a great Star Wars movie in 2009. ;)

12. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

No preference who should direct as long as Jerry Bruckheimer is producing.

He has the Midas touch with film and tv, and he's got history with Disney.

13. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

First of all, I feel really bad for Lucas...everyone clamouring for who the next director will be and often backhanding Lucas in the process. For all the love and interest the saga is getting right now, people sure are shitting on the guy who created it.

Secondly, sometimes I wonder how people pick dream directors. That second link in the OP suggests Ridley Scott because he "understands how vast and terrifying space actually is." Does that sound like a Star Wars movie to anyone? Because it sure doesn't sound like one to me. I mean, David Fincher is my favourite director, but what has he done that would suggest he's a good fit for a Star Wars movie? Other than actually working on Jedi, that is. ;)

Of all the directors, I'd say Frank Darabont is the perfect fit. He's worked in the Lucasfilm world. He's a fan of period cinema and is great at mimicking certain styles in a fresh and personal way. He writes and handles great characters deftly and with a sense of humour. He's not afraid to back away from "cool," and uses it when it's necessary and boldly. Finally, he has a sense of adventure and loves to explore classic genre tropes.

:)

14. Kegg

I could see Spielberg handling this. But I'd be... I don't know, mildly surprised?

Lot of respect for Lucas and honestly I think it's important he's involved in the next round of movies, even if he disengages from actually making them.

The Stephen King adaption guy? He done anything that'd really fit the Star Wars sci-fi action mould at all, that also was good?

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I went with Brad Bird, John Carter was very Star Warsy and I thought it he did an outstanding job on it. I would love to see him get a chance with the franchise itself.
    David Yates, because people keep saying it's supposed to be a family franchise, and Harry Potter pretty much is IMO the gold standard in family fantasy franchises.
    Guillermo Del Toro, because the I love the Helloboy movies, and I would love to see the people who did their creatures try their hands at SW.

16. Kegg

That's Andrew Stanton.

Who I can't imagine is the guy Disney is offering any plum assignments to right now.

Brad Bird would be good though... I guess I just have reservations about crossing over from animation. Bird has done some amazing movies, but his really good ones were animated - Ghost Protocol was quite good but not exactly The Incredibles. But then maybe with Star Wars and without Cruise he'd have more creative control and take stuff in a more interesting direction so who knows.

17. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

I gave several reasons above on why I think he'd be a perfect fit. Someone doesn't have to have had experience making a similar movie to possibly be good at it.

But on that note, I also realized one possibility that I'm surprised isn't one fandom is jumping on, as I would expect it to, but who I think are actually really well suited to it...

...are The Wachowski's.

18. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree, with a caveat. Lucas has earned a lot of wrath from Star Wars fans over the last decade. He was too much in control of the franchise considering the fact that he forgot what it was about the original trilogy that made it special.

I actually think that selling the franchise is the right way to go, and maybe the next director will actually make a film that respects the series more than the previous prequels ever did.

Sidebar: Mark Hamill is the same age now as Alec Guinness was when Ep. IV was filmed.

19. Xaios

Xaios Commander Red Shirt

My votes went to Duncan Jones, Guillermo Del Toro and Alfonso Cuaron. Duncan Jones seems has a real knack for highlighting the humanity of his characters, Guillermo Del Toro's imagination makes my head spin and Alfonso Cuaron knows how to direct some truly gripping action scenes.

20. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

My top 5 choices:
    1. Lawrence Kasden & Steven Spielberg (TIE)
    2. Joss Whedon
    3. Peter Jackson
    4. James Cameron
    5. Roland Emmerich

Honorable mentions:
    Ridley Scott
    Alfonso Cuaron
    David Yates
    J.J. Abrams