VAN: What Judgments Come by Ward & Dilmore Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Thrawn, Sep 22, 2011.

?

Rate What Judgments Come

1. Outstanding

23 vote(s)
    42.6%
  2. Above Average

22 vote(s)
    40.7%
  3. Average

7 vote(s)
    13.0%
  4. Below Average

2 vote(s)
    3.7%
  5. Poor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: Star Trek: Vanguard: What Judgments Come review thread (SPOILERS)

Finished this a few days ago.

A very enjoyable read, with some parts being less interesting then others. The overall feel was a bit different then other Vanguard novels, but not in a bad way.

I agree that the Ganz-story line was resolved a bit rushed all at once, with the final conclusion not being what I had expected but still satisfactory.
    The Defiant-parts and Nimbus parts felt......odd. Not adding to the storyline itself. I see WHY the parts set on Defiant where necessary, but they lacked a certain depth. The entire Nimbus-story in Vanguard itself felt more like a reason to explain this planet's excistance in the Trek universe then being a real part of the Vanguard Saga. That said, I did find that part of the novel very interesting, and feel it could have been a novel or two by itself.

Quinn..... yeah..... I was really rooting for this guy in the last few books, and I truly hope that there is a true purpose to his path at the moment, otherwise I'll be sorrowly disappointed after the last novel.

Other then that, the biggest feeling I got from this novel, which I think was the what both writers intended and they did very well, is that things are going sour big time, and I can't help but shake the feeling that at the end of the last novel, a lot of the big players in Operation Vanguard will not make it through to the end.

2. MatthiasRussell

MatthiasRussell Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Though I am sad to see Quinn throwing his life away again, I understand it in light of knowing he was inspired from Don Quixote and meant to be a tragic life story. Pennington told Quinn he was dishonoring Bridy's sacrifice by the way he was living as a ToddCam said. Maybe those words will have an impact.

3. DrBashir

DrBashir Commander

I have no trouble with Quinn reacting as he did after Bridy Mac's (supposed) death but more with the speed that he went from drunken slob to super solder in Precipice. Zett was made out to be this very efficent killer and Quinn was able to go prety much toe to toe with him dispite having been a drunken slop for many years beforehand. Now, he's back to being a drunk and it just seems that it was awfully convient that he was at the top of his game just long enough to take out Zett.

It's not the path he's taken but the extremes of it.

4. MatthiasRussell

Precipice described him as having been a pretty formidable mercenary when he was younger, so I don't think it was much of a stretch. He had also been training a lot before the show down when Zett was over confident because he felt Quinn would be an easy fight. I think that voctory was more Zett's loss than Quinn's win.

5. MatthiasRussell

Dayton Ward addressed Ganz's down fall on his blog:

"Ganz began the unraveling process back in Open Secrets, when Nogura gave him the boot, and then he had to find a way to beg his way back into the admiral’s good graces, and so on. Neera was always the brains of the outfit, but she was content to let him be the public face of the organization (and the one with the target on his back), and taking care of the day-to-day business of running things. When Ganz started suffering setback after setback, we had to wonder how long he could go on being the one “in charge” before somebody decided to cut their losses. Having Reyes right under his nose and yet being powerless to do anything about him even while he knew Reyes had to be getting away with this or that, would be enough to piss anybody off, eventually. At least, that was part of our thinking. We’d actually played with the idea of having Neera off him in WJC, but eventually decided it would be more fun to have that big escape sequence, with Ganz finally losing his cool after being played so completely."

http://daytonward.wordpress.com/2011/10/10/what-judgments-come-the-official-qa-post/

6. DrBashir

DrBashir Commander

I just found it anti-climatctic for Ganz to simply go nuts and leave himself open like that. I think having Neera have a hand in his downfall would have made it better, maybe setting him up but making it look like it was Ganz working on his own.

Part of it is having Starfleet being the ones boarding the Orion ship multiple times dispite claiming that it's soverign Orion territory. Entering the ship to pass along equipment to be used against the Orions is an act of piracy. Sending armed agents onto the ship to sneak Reyes off if tresspassing and piracy along with assault and murder. It should have played out more as a Ganz vs Reyes rather than Diego basically being a pawn.

7. MatthiasRussell

Go to Ward's blog and say so. It would be interesting to get his input. I've found editorial decisions make more sense with the writer's input. Ward and the others clearly put a lot of thought into the unfolding of the story.

8. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

I actually liked the Defiant and Nimbus III bits... I can't be the only one? I actually would have liked to see the Nimbus III parts expanded upon, since it seemed that the unraveling was a bit rushed, but I can understand why this was so.

Sad to see the Lovell go. I'm hoping that Okagawa, al-Khaled & company get a new ship and we can see more adventures featuring them in the future. (I have seen Foundations III referenced a couple times here, but it has been so long since I read that story that I don't recall what it established.)

I also would have liked to see a scene or three with Desai. Hopefully she will have a part in the final book of the series.

9. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Nimbus III parts I liked aswell, and would also love to see a novel that tells us more, integrating the events from WJC into it.

The thing is, it somehow didn't feel like it was adding anything to the entire Vanguard saga to me.

10. ToddCam

ToddCam Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I liked the Nimbus III idea when it was introduced. But it was pretty tangential to the saga in WJC, and boring. We all knew it was a failed colony. Did it all have to happen within what seemed like hours of the foundation?

I did like the Defiant parts. I actually would like to have seen the crew's end.

11. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

I just got to the part of Ganz's demise. I will not miss any more Orion subplots

12. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

I just voted above average. I found it to be enjoyable by nothing startling. It felt like a good introduction to the end of the series. I'm looking forward to the next/last book.

13. Ronald Held

It was just all right. I miss the Lovell for some reason.

14. MatthiasRussell

^ She had an amazing destruction, though. And let's not forget that the sphere survived. So part of the ship could end up in a museum.

15. Fer

Fer Commander Red Shirt

I felt exactly the same. I really enjoyed the Nimbus III bits, even more than the main parts with Diego and the Orions, even though I felt the only connection it had to Vanguard on a whole was Jetanian.

We know the colony kept on going on for decades after TOS; I'd like to see another book seeing what happened to the colony during the TNG era.

16. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

I have to say the last line of the book was a good way to set up a David Mack book, especially one thats a series finale with so many character he doesn't have to worry about the survival of :evil:

17. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I can't wait to read the whole series. I'm waiting until the last book comes out, then i'm gonna read it all in one shot.

18. MatthiasRussell

Anyone know who this book has sold compared to earlier ones? I hope the series has gained readers rather than lost them.

19. Ronald Held

I am curious how it will end and how much will be resolved.

20. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

I figure it will involve a massive death toll based on previous experience with David Mack's work.