Fiancee a TOS fan but doesn't like TNG, DS9, Voyager, or Enterprise

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by urbandk, Mar 11, 2009.

1. urbandk

urbandk Commodore Commodore

My fiancee likes TOS a lot, but she doesn't really care for any of the other shows. I don't think she's watched any of them. I never considered myself a big Enterprise or Voyager fan, but I'd like to watch some other Star Trek other than TOS.

What are your favorite episodes from these series? the best introductions to someone new to the spin-offs? Overall I guess I prefer good stories and/or hard sci-fi.

Already know BOBW, All good things, Yesterday's enterprise, Measure of a man from TNG... other than those, ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks! :)

2. Messianni

Messianni Commodore Commodore

Re: Fiancee a TOS fan but doesn't like TNG, DS9, Voyager, or Enterpris

It might not be a bad idea to try showing her episodes that feature cast from the original series: McCoy's cameo in "Encounter at Farpoint", Spock in "Unification Pt. 1 and 2", Scotty in "Relics", Sarek in "Sarek" or Kirk in Generations.

It provides a familiar bridge while also showing off a cast that might be unfamiliar to her.

3. Falcor5

Falcor5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Also you could show her the DS9 episode "Trials and Tribble-ations". It could be the perfect thing to show her to introduce her to a new crew but with them taking part in an actual TOS episode! If she liked the TOS episode "The Trouble with Tribbles" I bet she will like this one too!

4. Messianni

Good call. Same could be said with the Voyager episode "Flashback" with Sulu.

5. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I know how difficult this kind of situation can be, I'm a Niner who once went out with a Voyager fan who thought that DS9 was boring. I should have known that it was not meant to be. :p

What episodes of TOS does she like? There are many episodes of the later series which are similar to the original episodes so you could find out some of her favourites and then find episodes like those in the newer shows.

Trials and Tribbleations is always good for a laugh though. Not only does it have the original cast and ship, but it also has some terrific DS9 banter that could show her how good the writing on that show could be.

6. urbandk

Hey thanks for the suggestions everyone. I think she likes especially Arena, Amok Time, the City on the Edge of Forever, Errand of Mercy, and the Naked Time. Somehow she's into the cheesy old TOS ones but doesn't like the cheesy new ones. Maybe it's a sixties thing.

7. Hambone

Hambone Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Doesn't like anything but TOS? Marry her, and I mean fast. She obviously has wonderful tastes.

8. blockaderunner

blockaderunner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Question: Do you love her? Then it shouldn't matter. It's called UNCONDITIONAL love for a reason. Any perceived dealbreakers, and it's not real. My wife is nowhere near the geek I am. She's very loving and supportive, but would never be caught dead at a convention with me. And, frankly, I'd never marry anyone who shared ALL my tastes. My 11 years with her and two beautiful children shows that you don't have to have a full blown geek mate like that dentist in the first Trekkies movie to be in a loving relationship. Personally, watching them gave me a combination of pity and little disgust. No piece of fiction shoud be the foundation of a relationship. And before you throw out the "Oh you don't know what their lives are like" argument or say "The filmakerrs misrepresented them", you look at their office and tell me it's not disturbing.

9. Messianni

Yeah, the people in Trekkies were just embarrassing.

10. urbandk

Yeah I'm sure we'll work it out, DS9 or no DS9. Maybe we should get married at the Trek Experience when it reopens.

11. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought the dentist was all right. He's been more gainfully employed than Denise Crosby.

True, the Clinton juror was crazy, but the rest seemed mostly in touch with reality, and I also wonder how much they all hammed it up for the camera.

12. Cakes488

Cakes488 Commodore Commodore

Well this sounds a lot like me..except I like all Tos ep's and not just a few! I do feel a little guilty about not really watching the other Treks...I did stick with the next gen for awhile but they lost me pretty early on. So if I was to purchase a newer trek dvd set...which one do you think I should get? Remember I'm fiercely loyal to TOS and the crew....so what are the recommendations ?

13. MyCylon

MyCylon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^
    In your case and the OP's, I'd personally recommend going with DS9. Let me remark that DS9 is easily my favorite incarnation, so I'm all biased towards it :D. It is followed by TOS, with the other shows far behind.

With that out of the way, there's a reason I'd recommend DS9 to somebody who loves TOS. I honestly feel it's next gen Trek series that is most closely related to TOS. It may not seem that way at first glance, but what I'm getting at is that I've always felt it was produced very much in the same 'spirit' as TOS.
    What I mean is that it had a similar way of dealing with its characters, letting them play off each other, care about each other but also fiercely disagree in some situations. It also had a similar approach IMHO in that it would take 'good' people and confront them with really tough choices that would not always allow an easy answer, that would test what it meant to be 'good'.

For what it's worth, I'd also add that the writers and producers on DS9 were self-proclaimed TOS fans. And I think this shines through in the "Trials- and Tribble-Ations" episode which really is a tribute to Star Trek and TOS in particular. I also think it shows how well the DS9 characters fit in with the world of TOS, as I was trying to indicate further up.

I suppose one question would be: What is the best starting point? I'd always recommend watching from the start, but DS9's first season is arguably its weakest even though it has some standouts, "Emissary" and "Duet" in particular.
    It might be worth watching "Emissary" to get an idea where the characters are coming from and then move on to standout episodes such as "The Visitor", "Call to Arms" or "In the Pale Moonlight".

Just my two cents.

14. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Good for her! <ducks>

15. Falcor5

Falcor5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I have a slightly off topic question. Since your fiancee likes TOS is she excited for the new movie? Also does she like the movies for TOS crew or just the show? Just am curious!

16. urbandk

she likes the characters... kirk, mccoy, but especially spock. she likes the movies and the t.v. series.

17. SFRabid

SFRabid Commodore Commodore

I would consider First Flight and Carbon Creek from ENT. She might appreciate the history value of those two. Then there is The Forge, Awakening and Kir'Shara for history of the Vulcans. In my view one of the best arcs in ST.

18. The Grim Ghost

The Grim Ghost Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I know this isn't what you asked... but is it really that big of a deal?

I've never dated ANYONE who liked Star Trek. Most of them didn't out and out hate it, but a few of them did. I just watch it on my own time. I would be happy and satisfied that she likes TOS.

Maybe try presenting some of the better episodes of the other series to her, but if she doesn't like them it isn't a huge deal. I'm sure she likes things that you aren't interested in as well.

19. Kirkman1987

Kirkman1987 Commodore Commodore

I have to say for the most part just be happy she shares your hobby in any capacity.

I'm one of the lucky ones dating a lovely woman who likes star trek. She's seen TNG and DS9 with me, and is excited to start TOS once she finishes DS9. It's not crucial or anything, but it is really cool to have a girlfriend who shares that passion with me.

20. FordSVT

FordSVT Vice Admiral Admiral

I find it interesting that the OP mentions nothing in any of his posts about this being any kind of "problem" in his relationship, and yet I see more than one post giving him advice that alludes it is.

Now why is that?