Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Obiwanshinobi, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Agreed

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not sure how someone can claim it has the same story as the Donner films when we still don't really know what that story is yet. Sure there will be similar things, but it won't be a copy of what has gone before in terms of film. I haven't read anything about the Phantom Zone being used in this film...I have a feeling that they're exiled or banished prior to the destruction of the planet or something like that, but not to the Zone, and as someone above mentioned manage to escape.

3. Dr.H

Dr.H Lieutenant Red Shirt

I think the first Superman film is overrated and has too much nostalgia love. What it has going for was it's was a very majestic, momentous atmosphere(through the memorial score, and some inspirational moments) and Reeve's and Brando is great and carry their roles with extraodinary gravitas.... but man, the film's later half is overtly campy and weakly plotted. Some cringeworthy dialouge( Sample the inner-monolouge Lois has when she is first flying with Superman --it's awful). Let's not forget the stupidty of the "turn back time by spinning the world around by flying so fast" scene. Not to mention, Lex's annnoying sidekicks. The Donnor films are classic's but it's time to make room for a fresh intepretation of this character that will be in the mainstream's conscious when they think of Superman rather then relics which are the Reeve's film's.

4. Dr.H

Dr.H Lieutenant Red Shirt

This flick is pretty much "Superman Begins." The only difference being that unlike Batman Begins they're going with a villian that is well known to the mainstream masses(which I guess it has a lot to do with Supes having a fairly handful of genuinely good villians). Not too thrilled, with Shannon's performance from this trailer(the viral message he did send was chilling and menacing) him in the trailer sounded kinda like a petulant child who need's a spanking.

All and all, the film is shaping out to be DC's answer to Iron Man. I doubt it'll make less then Begins, this flick will make more.

5. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I thought "Green Lantern" was DC's answer to Iron Man?:)

6. Admiral_Young

^ It's their second answer to "Iron Man" ;)

7. AvBaur

AvBaur Captain Captain

The trailer is pretty amazing, for sure, and I'm really looking forward to the movie. But I also remember that pretty much all of Zack Snyder's other movies had amazing trailers, too, even the godawful Sucker Punch.

8. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    The movie might still disappoint but this is the first trailer that gives me hope. It shows that perhaps the makers of this movie actually "get" Superman. I get the sense that very few people do nowadays.

Still, I'd probably only rank it 5th on my most anticipated movies of the year list. Currently:
    1. Thor: The Dark World
    2. Iron Man 3
    3. Catching Fire
    4. Star Trek Into Darkness
    5. Man of Steel

9. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Had to Google "Catching Fire".

10. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

And funny enough that's exactly who's movie Man of Steel is going up against.

11. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Though they do come out over a month apart...

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

13. Admiral_Young

It looks like a mechanical tendril to me. Probably from Zod's weapon or whatever is that he deploys.

14. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Yeah, not Starro, sorry.

15. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

Click here for new poster image, courtesy of Nuke the Fridge!!

I don't really like it, but it's just a poster. I like the idea of them painting it, it's just not that good.

16. The Lensman

The Lensman Commodore Commodore

Agree that it's very much overrated. I enjoyed the film in '79, but did not believe for a moment that "a man can fly". Aside from the occasional crane work, it was just the same technique used to make George fly, albeit slightly better looking.

Plus, I never really bought Christopher Reeve as Superman. Too skinny. Cavil's got the physique, the jaw and if had the spit curl, he'd be the closest screen incarnation to look like Superman.

I'm ready for someone to obliterate the inane notion that Reeve was somehow the definitive Superman, instead of just the Superman for a specific generation. I'm happy to finally be getting a new Superman for a new generation.

While I figure it's just some weird machine or weapon, my first thought actually went to Solaris.

17. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Actually, Nolan is tired of Warner twiddling their thumbs with Justice League, so he's taking Batman and Superman to join The Avengers instead. :p

18. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

I am kind of hoping that the attack at the beginning of the trailer is Brainiac attacking Krypton but I imagine it will just be Zod and some failed coup that leads to Kryptons destruction.

19. Admiral_Young

It's probably just Zod's failed attempted coup...although it could also be a flashback to Brainiac's assault on Earth and Zod's attempt at repelling it. I was kind of hoping too that they would include this from New Krypton as a way to show him the hero he once was before his fall from grace(it's shown in the "Superman Unbound" DTV) , but since technically that was "Donner Zod" probably won't be the case. I do still think we will see Brainiac in the sequel, but I'd be surprised if he was mentioned or shown in this film.

20. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

This movie will fail because he's not wearing a stupid red Speedo.