World Premiere/Advance screening discussions [SPOILERS GUARANTEED]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by M'Sharak, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Kruge

Kruge Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Quark's Lobe: (sorry, I either haven't been here long enough to quote messages in my reply, or I don't know how)

You have brilliantly stated what I have been trying to articulate for so long to some of my friends, and I am so happy that having seen the film you relate that my suspicions are true. A truly good movie will make us forget all the backstory of its development, and instead focus on the story...and I am so happy to hear that you were angry with Nero, not Abrams, because in my estimation that makes this film a success in the sense that it is compelling enough to leave the nitpicking for afterwards! I am a Journalism major, and I can only say that it is one of the hardest things for me to sit through a film that I have strong feelings about and enjoy it the way it is meant to be enjoyed rather than imagine what I may say later on....in some sense of course, we all check our brains at the door for a movie as unreal as Trek,but I've found that the weakest films are those which routinely break the fourth wall by failing to engage the viewer enough to look past the absurdities or the flaws and just enjoy the ride...

I have never regretted my decision to purchase May 7th IMAX tickets, even though they are a bit more costly, and money is tight right now with school, but your post makes me even more exicited than before

Thank you!

2. Kruge

And speaking of Kirk's birth, I think it would be funny has hell to have the nurse say something like "Oh my..."

3. Kruge

Franklin:

Remembering what I've read of Countdown, the Enterprise was far away enough to escape...Ambassador Picard and Captain Data essentially believe that Spock is dead, and I don't think they realize what's really happened....I'm not sure about this, but I don't really think there is any feasible way for them to find out the truth about Spock's ultimate fate anyway...

I think the point of Countdown was to give one last nod to the TNG universe (although I hope that more stories will continue in print or in comics), and to establish the new film's place within an alternate universe....I think that most likely Abrams and Co knew that most people wouldn't read the comic, and if he's intent on bringing in newbies to the franchise, it probably makes more sense to keep the mindmeld/flashback as simple as possible...Show Spock and Nero (who have already been introduced to the audience), but don't allude to TNG, because not everyone will immediatley recognize the E or the characters

4. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm sorry, you misunderstood my question. I meant that from what I've read, at the end of the movie, the Enterprise is nearly pulled into the black hole that is destroying Nero's ship.
    What I was wondering is if the Enterprise was too far away from Vulcan to be affected by the gravity of the black hole destroying it. If they were orbiting Vulcan as it was being destroyed and the gravitational field did not capture them, it seems inconsistent that they'd end up getting caught in the one destroying Nero's ship.

5. Quark's Lobe

Quark's Lobe Commander Red Shirt

^^ Having seen it, I don't remember having the impression that the Enterprise was close enough to be drawn into the Vulcan black hole. However, at the end of the film, I do remember that Sulu seemed to be pretty lax at the helm because it showed the Enterprise just sort of leisurely floating towards the spatial disruption. Once Nero is drawn in beyond the point of no return, Kirk casually says something like: "Sulu, let's get out of here." Sulu tries to kick it into high gear, then I'm pretty sure someone says they're "at warp" but aren't going anywhere due to the gravity well. The film goes to some lengths to show that Sulu is somewhat new at this, but I imagine Kirk may have given him a bit of a talking to (offscreen) after their escape for having had them that close to the black hole in the first place! :lol:

6. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

I think this point about the movie has been reiterated by many posters in this thread, including I. in my estimate, and as I've posted before, the sheer emotional impact the movie has on the viewer makes every nitpicking point pale in comparison. sure, the nitpickers will abide, but they'll be doing themselves a disfavor by concentrating on the minutiae.

oh, and my dad and I got IMAX tix for the 8th. I've seen it once, and I'll see it with other people at the regular screens. but my dad and I are going to see it in IMAX -- and it'll be our special Trek moment :)

7. GulDucati

GulDucati Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Nimoy's pretty slim.

8. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

That's true. But metabolism slows down as you age, simple biology.

Of course Shatner may just pig out like a mad fool, what do I know?

Just seems such an easy criticism of the Shat when there's so much more material to work with.. ;)

9. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

I think you're missing the point: it's ALL individual. genetics figures largely into it. some people LOSE weight as they grow older. granted, most people don't. but it's not a hard and fast rule.

10. Borgminister

True.

11. arch101

arch101 Commodore Commodore

^^^Nimoy was a heavy smoker for many years and looks the part.

12. Kruge

I think its years of imbibing and over-eating, personally, but that's just a guess.... maybe its just bad genetics...none of my relatives were ever overweight, so I chalk up my metabolism to good genes, but if you think about it, Nimoy was always pretty tall and slim, and Shatner was short and husky, so its not a stretch to imagine in his later years he'd...shall we say, expand...

Not that it matters...he can be as short and fat as they come, but when he stands on his wallet and turns on the Shatner charm, I'm not surprised he's been able to score a wife who his several years his junior!

13. Kruge

a heavy drinker too...he really looks OLD, and not it the Bill Shatner "Old like your fat older uncle who hits on the younger waitresses at the bar" old, but like Skeletor old...its so sad, I've always thought of Nimoy as the more refined of the two...except for the photos of naked fat chicks, thats not really my thing...

14. Borgminister

Nimoy's a heavy drinker??!

Didn't know that. But there's no sense in a Nimoy versus Shatner spat, so never mind.

15. Kruge

He battled alcoholism for years, and took Shatner's late wife to A.A. meetings, to no avail...

Its in shatners new Bio...a pretty interesting book, but Im pretty sure it was cobbled together from interviews

16. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

You should be able to quote other posters now, by clicking on the quote button [​IMG] found at the bottom of each post. If you want to respond to more than one post, as you have several times in this thread, click on the Multi-Quote button [​IMG] for each post you want to reply to, then hit the Post Reply button at the top or bottom of the page to reply.

17. Kruge

Thank you, Sir

18. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Quite some while ago. Alcoholics don't look a particular way - even later in life some are quite fat or thin or healthy in appearance. Not all alcoholics even develop the kind of significant organ damage that is reflected in "wasting" or other visible effects.

Nimoy was a long way from being the only alcoholic amongst the cast and crew of the original Star Trek, and you wouldn't guess the others by looking either...

19. SmackRacer

SmackRacer Ensign Newbie

Can someone who's seen the movie tell me if the new time line created still allows for revisiting old characters or events. For instance is it possible there is a DY-100 class transportation vessel, registration: Botany Bay, floating around out there in space somewhere? Kodos the executioner? Nazi planets? I'm sure none of these are directly referenced but is it POSSIBLE?!

20. SheliakBob

SheliakBob Commander Red Shirt

Sigh.
    Oh well. Might as well at least try.
    In most of the reviews and spoilers I've seen, it is repeatedly stated that there are aliens, and not "forehead" aliens--mostly in the background.
    Any familiar species? Other than Vulcans (poor homeless bastards), and um, Romulans.
    Any really cool looking new designs that anyone noticed, other than "Scotty's" wee alien buddy?