Poll: boxers or briefs? (thread rating: PG-13)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by rhubarbodendron, Mar 22, 2014.

?

boxers or briefs?

1. boxers

20 vote(s)
    36.4%
  2. briefs

21 vote(s)
    38.2%
  3. unmentionables / bloomers / other

9 vote(s)
    16.4%
  4. neither

11 vote(s)
    20.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

The lack of a boxer-briefs option on this poll is truly a travesty. So, we boxer-briefers are "unmentionable" "others," are we?

Just remember the old adage: first, they came for the commandoes, and I said nothing, for I did not go commando. Then, they came for the boxer-briefers...

2. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Another vote for boxer-briefs here. Truly, the best of both worlds.

Boxers are too loose fitting, and frequently ride up into The Phantom Zone, thus causing you to have to do that embarrassing reverse Picard Maneuver to unwedge them.

Briefs make Fandral, Hogun, and Volstagg (The Warriors Three) feel like they're stuck in the Death Star trash compactor, complete with the freaky one-eyed monster struggling to get out before the walls crush him.

We need to secure our borders, but also, we need breathing room!
    ----- Earth, Hitler's Balls, 1938.

Nerdy enough?

3. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have always worn briefs. No plans to change this.

Not only do briefs suit my needs just fine as they are, going to boxers this late in the game would just feel way too weird.

4. HIjol

HIjol Vice Admiral Admiral

5. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

^^ My Mother used to say, "Be careful with that or you'll put somebody's eye out. Then the fun will be over."

That's what I get for going kommander.

6. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Boxers, I like the freedom.

7. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Boxer-briefs. I've got like... 40 pairs. Boxers are too thick and uncomfortable for me. And I'm not going to be caught dad in tighty whities.

8. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Boxer-briefs, here, as well. I do not want a low sperm count. I believe in keeping myself in the best form possible. Every part of my being maintained ... robust and potent. And boxer-briefs just look better, I feel. Gotta look our best for the ladies ...

9. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

By "intermarriage," I assume they meant marrying outside of the faith -- as opposed to, say, marrying someone of another race or another species. :)

10. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

^I am not sure. The German "Mischehe" can refer to both. However, since at my great-grandma's time there were hardly any foreigners in Germany, I suppose she was refering to different confessions. Like most Bavarians I have Huns and Romans among my ancestors, though. "Make love not war" is a sound concept and increases the gene pool. ;)

My appologies. When I started the poll I had no idea of the existence of boxer-briefs, but it being a multiple choice poll you can pick either both options (boxers and briefs) or chose "other" and elaborate. Just in case I'll count the boxer-brief entries so that we get an approximate number of its supporters (no pun intended).

I had to look up "going commando" as well (the really important stuff is never listed in dictionaries ;) ). Does anyone know how that phrase was created? It seems a bit puzzling to a foreigner.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  11. Locutus of Bored

The exact origin is uncertain, dating back to either college campuses in the US in the 70s during/post-Vietnam, or Britain in the 80s post-Falklands.

It's generally agreed to refer to the practice of soldiers (especially special forces soldiers AKA commandos) not wearing underwear for various reasons: to avoid crotch-rot and chafing, to allow ventilation and avoid moisture in hot and/or wet climates, because chances to clean your underwear on long deployments are slim, and so forth.

It became really widespread and well-known when it was used on the show Friends in 1994 when Joey said he wouldn't "go commando in another man's fatigues."

Here's everything you could ever possibly want to learn about the phrase:

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/explainer/2005/01/do_commandos_go_commando.html
    http://bshistorian.wordpress.com/2007/10/03/going-commando/
    https://thetfp.com/tfp/tilted-knowledge-how/24339-going-commando-whats-background-phrase.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Going_commando

12. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

weird practice since actually in a hot climate you sweat and chafe far more without undies than with. Not to mention the easier access to delicate areas for certain many-legged creatures of which tropical regions are particularly full of.
    But then military and common sense have traditionally excluded each other ever since Hannibal tried to walk Elephants across glaciers. :D

13. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

When I was growing up in the 70s and 80s, the phrase was the very un-pc Going Navajo. It wasn't until that Friends episode that I had ever heard of Going Commando.

14. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

Boxer-briefs.

15. Stephen!

Stephen! Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I mostly alternate between boxers and briefs. No real preference for one over the other.

16. Locutus of Bored

What you need is some sort of hybrid, an intermediate step that takes the best elements of both... a "boxer-brief," if you will. I hope no one's invented that yet. I'll make billions!

17. Stephen!

Stephen! Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^ True. I have a few of those as well.

I guess that would explain some peoples preference for showering in their underwear, after PE classes in highschool :)

18. HIjol

...but, the gods forbid, if you are, make sure there are no holes!... :rofl:

19. HIjol

Hey, scot!...just for the record, Rhubarb wrote the above quote, not me... :)

...however, to your comment, I am not, theoretically, opposed to inter species marriage, and have heard it said that

" ... It doesn't matter when it's Arcturian, baby!"

:guffaw: :techman:

20. HIjol

...umm...could be a couple of other reasons... :rofl: :alienblush: