The Action Figure and Toy Collecting and Discussion Thread!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by cooleddie74, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i have yet to see any Hot Wheels Trek stuff in stores. i finally gave up and bought the Vengeance off Amazon a few weeks back. other than needing some missing paint detail its a pretty solid ship.

2. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    I do know that with the Mission Series packaging the only seal is at the very top of the bubble above the figures' heads. There's no heat-sealing or glue of any kind on the sides or bottom of the bubble, hence the big cardboard pieces at the sides and on the bottom (they're there to - ideally, anyways - keep the product from falling out). The way Hasbro designed them lets you simply stick a fingernail underneath the edge of the top of the bubble and peel across, then slide the entire thing out of the cardback so you can quickly remove and then enjoy the figures.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asWpzp1Ri_0[/yt]

Of course, this means that if the seal at the top fails to hold then the figures can fall right out of the packaging just like their brothers and cousins in the Saga Legends and Black Series assortments.

3. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Romero Joker time!
    [​IMG]

Hot damn! They are knocking it out of the park with this line. I'm really sad that Catwoman is the only one left.

4. cooleddie74

It'll be the Julie Newmar Catwoman, right? Not Eartha Kitt or Lee Merriwether? Because it would be pretty cool if they produced three different variants of the '60s TV Catwoman to satisfy all tastes and desires in the classic Batman fanbase. Eartha Kitt was my personal favorite.

5. OdoWanKenobi

Yeah, it'll be the Newmar version. From what I understand, retailers just aren't showing a whole lot of interest in this line without a DVD release of the show to promote it with. It's a shame. I would have loved to get the other two versions of Catwoman, along with Batgirl and some more villains like Egghead or King Tut. It's also silly for them to be making the Surfs Up Batman without a Joker to go with him. Oooh, or this is a total pipe dream, but a two-pack of Commissioner Gordon and Chief O'Hara with a desk and red phone. Then do one of Bruce and Dick with a desk with the Shakespeare bust.

6. YJAGG

YJAGG Captain Captain

7. cooleddie74

I was a hardcore fan of the Adam West show as a kid. If it were left up to me to pick and choose future figures in this line I'd go with Tut, Egghead, the Bookworm (Roddy McDowall), Louie the Lilac (Milton Berle) and the Otto Preminger version of Mr. Freeze.

I adored some of the lesser-seen and lesser-known villains, like Cliff Robertson's villainous criminal cowboy Shame and the Mad Hatter. The 1966-68 show was - at times - almost as big a part of my youth as TOS and the early years of TNG were.

8. Kira's Mom

Kira's Mom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Big Hawkeye is trying on costumes, getting ready for Halloween:

Sugarplum Fairy:
    [​IMG]

Dorothy:
    [​IMG]

9. cooleddie74

:lol:

That's....moderately disturbing.

In other news, the second wave of the 3.75" Black Series (Mara Jade, Pablo-Jill, Stormtrooper, etc.) has just been found at retail over in Hong Kong. American retail sightings probably aren't far off if this is the case, so if anyone has been interested in the brand new Mara Jade action figure from Hasbro then she'll probably be surfacing in stores in the near future.

Provided she doesn't sell out in the first five minutes. You know how Expanded Universe characters often are. At brick-and-mortar for a split second, then they spend the rest of their existence on an eBay seller's page for five times the original price.

10. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've never seen any of the Hot Wheels Trek stuff in stores...even comic book stores. I bought the Enterprise-D from the 09 movie wave on Entertainment Earth, and the only place they seem available is online right now. Amazon still has them available for under 14 bucks. Including the "Imagination" JJ Enterprise.

11. cooleddie74

I called my friend at his toy shop before he closed earlier today and asked if he had seen or knows somebody who has Hot Wheels die-casts, specifically ones like the Enterprise, other Trek ships and the classic Adam West Batmobile. He gets die-casts such as Hot Wheels and Matchbox from time to time but most of his toys are of the plastic doll and action figure variety. He did say he'd let me know if any of those ships happen to show up through a customer selling or making a trade or he himself spots them in some store.

12. AstroSmurf

AstroSmurf Vice Admiral Admiral

I finally received my Moebius preassembled Battlestar Galactica last Friday. She is stunning. We are talking about fourteen inches long and a lot of gorgeous surface detail. They even included the windows on the starboard landing bay. Check it out...

[​IMG]

And a close up of the surface...

[​IMG]

My order of the six inch first wave Star Wars Black Series figures will be here on Wednesday. Expect more pictures!

13. cooleddie74

Very, very nice!

14. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow, that's just beautiful. An incredible amount of detail. :techman:

15. OdoWanKenobi

That is a thing of beauty. I am insanely jealous.

16. cooleddie74

New, loose pics of Wave 2 of the Black Series (Mara, etc.) are now up over at Jedi Temple Archives and I have to say - the eyebrows on that sample of Mara Jade do not look good at all. I'm not as up in arms about her " '80's heavy metal/mall hair" as some seem to be, but those eyebrows are about as subtle as Lloyd Bridges or even Joe Pesci in the film JFK.

Yikes. I hope this is just this one copy and they're not all sporting these.

17. AstroSmurf

AstroSmurf Vice Admiral Admiral

I know! To be honest, I opened the box and almost crapped my pants when I pulled it out of its outer sleeve. I just stood there staring at it with my mouth hanging open like I was missing a couple of chromosomes. The Viper and the Cylon Raider were nice but marginally detailed so I expected about the same. (I had to rough them up myself.) But the Galactica is just ten times better in every way and worth every penny I spent.

18. OdoWanKenobi

I picked up my Blu-ray of Star Trek Into Darkness today. Of particular interest to us in this thread is the Wal-Mart exclusive version. Not only does it include a really cool steelbook case, but it includes a Hot Wheels model of USS Vengeance:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As far as I can tell, the saucer is die-cast while the rest is plastic. The nacelles are not as detailed as the rest of the model, which is disappointing. It's a really nice extra, though, especially considering how difficult the Hot Wheels Trek stuff has been to find for most people.

19. cooleddie74

I haven't gotten around to picking up my own copy of the film, but might before the end of the night. I wasn't the biggest fan of the design of the Vengeance, but the ship model included with the discs looks kinda nice.

And you couldn't be more right: the distribution of the Hot Wheels Trek ships has been laughably bad.

20. OdoWanKenobi

Since this is the exact same item as the regular retail release of the Vengeance, anyone looking to grab it should seriously consider this. Vengeance is already going for over $30 on ebay, and for that price you can get the ship and a Blu-ray. Quite the bargain, if you ask me.