TIL...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Holdfast, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

TIL once again that good looks can be deceiving.

My wireless mouse was becoming more of a chore to use, because of the large receiver that sticks out of the USB port. Not a problem on a workstation, but a bit cumbersome on a laptop. So I looked for a suitable replacement. Both Microsoft and Logitech have been making mouse models with very small receivers that barely stick out 0.5" from the USB port. I decided to try two different Microsoft models, the 4000 and the 6000. The 6000 is a little more expensive than the 4000, but has more visual appeal (to me). But, I found the 4000 to be a better mouse. I has one less button (a small size button the right) but is otherwise the same functionally. Yet the 4000 is better contoured for the human hand and there's no flashy chrome strips to gather up fingerprints. It really feels better in my hand. So... looks are sometimes deceiving!

Incidentally, all of us are using keyboards and I'm sure a notable number use a mouse (as opposed to a touch pad or track ball). We use these every time we operate a computer. As such, don't skimp on them. It's so well worth paying a little more for something that works well for you. Every time you operate that keyboard or mouse, you're getting a better experience with a well designed input device, something that has a subtle but cumulative effect on your time on the computer. In this case, cheap becomes expensive! :)

2. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ you know, I have the same old Logitech optical mouse that I think I've used for the past 10-ish years. I've never needed a new one...

What am I meant to be seeing here? I'm guessing there was a photo here at some point? Sorry, must have missed it when it was first posted.

:cool:

3. KimMH

KimMH Drinking your old posts Premium Member

I'm sorry t's tiny, it must not be loading properly for you. It's a borgified Mary Poppins with a cube in the background. Iirc, it was on Cheeseburger. Maybe I can find it; resize it; and repost it .

4. Holdfast

This one?

(it's amazing how easily search engines can find stuff these days; got it as the first image just with the second search string I tried)

Pretty funny! It takes a certain mind to merge the two concepts together. Now we know how her carpetbag works: transwarp conduit. :)

5. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

I really wasn't planning on upgrading my aging Microsoft 4000 mouse either, when by chance I happened upon an eBay auction for a terrific price (new). It really is an improvement and I'm very glad I did it (ergonomically, functionally speaking). If you ever find yourself near a computer store, stop on in and check out some of the mouse models they've got. You just might find that old Logitech mouse you've been using is starting to feel a little inadequate (seriously, there have been some great improvements over the past 10 years). ;)

6. KimMH

KimMH Drinking your old posts Premium Member

Precisely! Thank you! My tech-fu is weak :)

Transwarp conduit :lol:

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  7. Holdfast

A spoonful of sugar helps the nanites go down...

Resistance is futile; you will be singing along...

8. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Would those be...Nannyprobes?

:p

9. Holdfast

Oh, that's very, very good. :lol:

10. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

Today I learned that my great-Aunt, who is the only surviving one of tons of siblings (including my grandpa) is not only a homophobe (which I already knew), but racist, a birther, and an idiot.

Just one of the gems out of her mouth today was that women should be seen and not heard, and they should be in the kitchen making the man's dinner. She had been watching some program and someone mentioned that "uppity 'n' Oprah" ... When I pointed out that my aunt is, technically speaking, also a woman, she told me to shut my "f" mouth, then went on a homophobic rant.

I'm glad that sort of attitude seems to be dying out as the bigots age and keel over, but damn. It's fucked up.

11. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

^It is, indeed.

Today-- well, actually, yesterday--I learned that my neighbors are absolute idiots. They're apparently involved in some feud (two families across the street from each other) that I thought had been settled months ago---but apparently not.

12. cooleddie74

TIL that barbecue and onion rings go great on a burger...but I'm sure at least a few of you already knew that.

13. Zulu Romeo

Zulu Romeo World Famous Starship Captain Admiral

I learned, to my benefit, where the theatre scrubs are kept. :alienblush:

14. Captain Ice

Captain Ice Cookie Constructor Admiral

Getting Captain Ice on to the naughty list
    Now I can't get that damned song out of my head...

*puts Holdfast's name at the top of the "Must Kill" list for that*

:scream:

Seriously? You've never had a Western Bacon Cheeseburger?

15. cooleddie74

I have, but it had been a little while since my last one and I'd forgotten that onion rings were on that particular style of BBQ burger.

16. Captain Ice

Captain Ice Cookie Constructor Admiral

Getting Captain Ice on to the naughty list
    I can't really blame you. I can't remember when was the last time I even set foot in a Carl's Jr.

17. Holdfast

Don't worry, you can always take your mind off it by listening to Gangnam Style instead...

18. cooleddie74

TIL that, yes, it can get down to 48 degrees F this close to the end of summer. Brrrrrr.

19. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

^I delighted in the drearily autumnal weather myself; cool weather is so much more conducive to fashion than heat -- so say my hunter green sweater dress, black leather ankle boots, and black bowler hat.

20. Zulu Romeo

Zulu Romeo World Famous Starship Captain Admiral

TIL that more often than not you just can't win. :sigh: