The F'd Up Moral in "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer."

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Trekker4747, Dec 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Some may take the moral as being something along the lines of "everyone has something to contribute so don't pick on people for being different" or some such nonsense.

First of all, why are Santa's reindeer such assholes? I'd think he would've raised them a bit better than that.

Secondly, I see the "moral", "lesson" or whatever in it to be more along the lines of "people won't like you until you can do something for them."

Rudolph is just another reindeer, a working stiff like all of the others though not in active use. But he has a glowing nose so he's outcast from the group and wildly made fun of by his peers. But then that foggy night comes and he's called upon to help by Santa. Fair enough, the song doesn't suggest Santa outcast Rudolph any so Rudolph steps up and helps Santa out.

Then all of the other reindeer loved Rudolph and shouted in glee. Because now Rudolph's freaky birth defect is useful. So now, of course, he's loved. Screw them.

But, remember kids, people only love you when you can help them out.

2. Goji

Goji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, at least it's truthful...

3. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

Rudolph was very much a product of when it was made. Boys were boys and girls were girls, and don't dare step out of a zone of behavior or your place. Those different were (as they often are today) shunned and ostracized. As a kid, I could relate to Rudolph, the cliques, even of childhood, are brutal. Hell, they still are. Nothing has changed except we're not so patronizing to women anymore.

The lessons taught kids watching Rudolph were: It's OK to be different, everyone (except women, stay in your place bitches) has value, don't prejudge.

It was a typical offering. Most of the kiddie Christmas shows had lessons to teach:
    - Santa Claus is Coming to Town. Sometimes the rules are stupid and fight to change them until you win.
    - Charlie Brown Christmas. Even a loser gets to win once in a while.
    - The Grinch. Open up your heart and don't be a loner.
    - Frosty the Snowman. The bad guy will lose. (Bad lesson as that doesn't always happen.)

4. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Isn't it wonderful how a cynical view of the world can influence interpretation of harmless stories? ;)

5. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

What th--? You mean there's a story where the characters start out in a negative light and then experience events that teach them a lesson that results in self improvement? That's fucked up.

6. Dukat's Major

Dukat's Major Commander Red Shirt

I like to think of all these Christmas kid movies as terrifying nightmares that I shall one day, if the scary Winter and Summer and Santa Gods allow, forget.

7. Beef Squatthrust

Beef Squatthrust Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Seriously.. Hasn't this thread been put up every Christmas season for the past three years by Trekker? I was expecting this thread again, just not by you. ;)

8. Lookingglassman

Lookingglassman Admiral Admiral

The other reindeer are racist against Rudolph.

9. Small White Car

Small White Car Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So you want a song about a lazy reindeer that contributes nothing and yet it loved for being a drain on society?

You'll probably have to write that one yourself, I guess. Making this thread every year hasn't inspired anyone else to do it yet.

10. Guartho

Guartho Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

WHY does the head elf tell Ermie he'll never fit in RIGHT BEFORE he tells him to go back to elf practice so he can learn to fit in!?!? WHY? WHY? WHY?

Sorry.... that bugs me every time. Carry on.

Also, Santa is a major asshole in that movie. "What a shame, he had a nice take-off too." Yep... kids got fantastic potential, but his nose glows so he's now completely worthless.

11. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

Didn't you post this exact same complaint last year?

12. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Well, he's obviously still pissed about it. Why haven't you done anything to fix it?!

13. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

There’s an entire race of reindeer with glowing red noses?
    Damn those reindeer welfare queens!

14. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

+1:techman:
    I read the OP and was planning my response. Then I read yours and said, "Yeah, that is what I wanted to say.":mallory:

15. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Er... no. Not what I said.

One's contribution should have nothing to do with how much, or how little, they are picked on for a birth defect.

Happy that I'm such a huge part of your life that you keep track of what posts I make every year.

:techman:

16. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

I can get passed the other stuff in the story, but that bit with Santa is awful. Santa, of all people, essentially makes Rudolph a cast-out unworthy of reindeer duty. Of course, Rudolph's dad doesn't come across any better.

The moral of the story, my friends, is this is why the EEOC exists. I'd like to see Santa get by with discriminating against Rudolph, today. ;)

17. MetalPants

MetalPants Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Santa wouldn't have a chance to discriminate against Rudolph because PETA would block the flight.

18. JiNX-01

JiNX-01 Admiral Admiral

19. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Even if they didn't we know how it would go down if he made the flight

20. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not only is Santa a jerk in this, but the whole show completely overlooks what must be a horrendous eating disorder that Santa has. He gains how much weight in just 1 day?!

Now this show seems to endorse bulemia. It just gets worse and worse.

Seriously, though, I do hate this show.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.