Gary 7 spinoff?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by RobertScorpio, Apr 10, 2009.

1. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

My wife and I watched ASSIGNMENT EARTH last night, just before HELL's KITCHEN, and we really like that episode. We all know that it was a backdoor pilot to a possible spinoff show...but then I got to wondering; why? Even by the end of SEASON TWO, Star Trek was a ratings flop. And yet NBC was willing to roll the dice on a sequel?

I also wonder, had the GARY 7 show gone forward (and looked lot more cheaper to produce than TREK) if NBC would have just cancelled Season 3 and gone with Gary-7 and if Roddenberry would have been okay with that...my gut tells me "YES". Roddenberry would have thrown TREK under the bus if it meant he could do GARY 7 show.

What do you think???

Rob

2. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

You mean like this? :D

3. JustKate

JustKate Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Would you really say it was a "ratings flop"? My recollection is that while it didn't have great ratings, it wasn't a flop. If it had been a flop, no letter-writing campaign would have been enough to save it.

4. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

I am not sure where I read this..but I think the highest rated episode of TREK was CITY..and it was like #28 or something like that. The show was almost cancelled because of low ratings and only the letter campaign saved it. But from what I have read through the years, shatner-nimoy books and others, it wasn't a hit in the way they gathered ratings in those days...

Rob

5. Ensign_Redshirt

Ensign_Redshirt Commodore Commodore

6. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

7. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Excellent mock-up of an Assignment Earth TV series intro. I couldn't find enough details from the comments about the theme music. I wonder if the submitter created it or borrowed it from some other period work. It definitely goes well with it... kind of a Man from U.N.C.L.E. flavor.

Personally, I think it would have been a good show if talented writers could have been found. Certainly the actors were "just right" for the roles. Plenty of material, especially with the Cold War still on. Kind of a "Mission Impossible" but with a "friendly alien" stepping in with superior technology to dispense with the baddies. And a little hint of James Bond, too. ;)

8. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

It's original music done by some very passionate fans. Here's a link. They also did a second version. What I find so good about them is that they sound like genuine 60s theme songs.

9. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

That was pretty cool...I am really impressed with how imaginative some of us fans are...

Rob

10. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

IIRC, it was originally a show without a connection to Star Trek. Roddenberry reworked the pilot's script into a Star Trek episode as a way to sell the show to NBC. Sorta like changing Majel's hair color and recasting her in a different role after the network said dump her ;)

11. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

^That's what I understood to be the case, too.

12. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

But if it had sold, had they used ASSIGNMENT EARTH as a 'pilot' and had sold it to NBC, I think TREK would have been cancelled,because of its cost, and they would have gone with GARY SEVEN simply because it looked like a cheaper show to do....

I contend that by not selling GARY SEVEN, STAR TREK got one year of life...even if it was the must derided season three...

Rob

13. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

But why would they have to pick one over the other?

14. Nerys Myk

Yeah, I'm sure Star Trek wasn't the only show NBC could have canceled that year.

15. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

Because, at that time, they had already axed TOS because its lack of ratings. Had they given Roddenberry a choice, one or the other, I think he would have ditched TOS for many reasons; budgets being one, and increasing friction between him and Shatner/Nimoy....sure, the letter campaign saved it for a third season..a third season that Roddenberry was MIA for and suffered in quality as well...

IMO of course..

Rob

16. Nerys Myk

I think he would be more than happy to cash two paychecks.

17. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

If I'm not completely mistaken, one of the people behind that project is a member here.

18. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

Networks generally don't do spinoffs of flops, they do spinoffs of shows that are either hits or have the potential to become hits. For instance, Battlestar Galactica finished the season in the top 25, which ain't bad. It just wasn't good enough in 1980 to justify $1 million an episode. Galactica 1980 was a misguided attempt to cash in on what success Galactica had generated, only at a greatly reduced cost (the move to early Sunday evenings, and the restrictions that the FCC put on shows in that timeslot, coupled with Glen Larsen just not caring anymore, only served to seal the show's doom).

With that in mind, NBC still felt they had something with Star Trek. Not quite sure what, but they knew they had something (if they'd started going with the demographic numbers a year earlier, they'd have known what they had, namely the Number One show on television with the soon-to-be-hotly-desired 18-34 year old male segment of the audience). So NBC showing interest in possible spinoffs show that they still had some faith in Star Trek at some level (supposedly, there was also interest in a "Harry Mudd: Space Pirate" spinoff, but it didn't go anywhere; Roger Carmel didn't hear about it himself until several years later, when Roddenberry told him about it).

19. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

It's not really a spin-off series, it was a "back door pilot".

Desilu was being sold to Paramount at the time, but pilots still have to be made, otherwise no new shows get greenlit. For every pilot that becomes a series, there are probably twenty or so that don't, and only a few of those can survive on their own and actually get airplay, thus recouping some of their expenditure through the TV advertising.

Consider: if a pilot was made for "Assignment: Earth" but it had no Star Trek elements were in it, what TV station would run a single episode of a show that never existed beyond one episode? The money is wasted, unless it could be used in some kind of anthology show, such as "The Twilight Zone". Remember "Love, American Style"? One of its segments was called "Love and the Happy Day", which became the TV series "Happy Days".

Or, the studio takes an even bigger gamble and makes a whole telemovie out of it (eg. the original pilots for "The Six Million Dollar Man" and "New Original Wonderwoman"), so it can at least be aired as a movie-of-the-week.

Someone had come up with a concept of a human, secretly trained as an agent by aliens, working with a 60s ditzy girl Friday, going on missions together to keep the timeline intact. That would have been expensive to commission as a pilot, but as an actual episode of Star Trek, the budget for the pilot would be wholly covered by the Star Trek budget. Executives being show the episode, perhaps recut with a new opening, can easily imagine Kirk and Spock being replaced by other characters each week to interact with Gary Seven and Roberta.

Sometimes a spin-off show is developed because certain characters seem to have potential as the star of their own vehicle, eg. "Rhoda" spun from "The Mary Tyler Moore Show", but she was already very much an integral part of the original show. I'm not sure if Mork from Ork ("Mork and Mindy") was considered to be a potential spin-off from "Happy Days", or not, before the episode was aired. It may have been that Robin Williams happened to make a good impression, and a new series concept was born as a result of the feedback from audiences.

But sometimes a concept for a new show gets shoehorned into an existing show, to prove that it might have legs, and to have the pilot made, essentially for no additional costs.

20. Captain Randy Hall

Captain Randy Hall Commodore Commodore

Does this include the recent mini-series from IDW Publishing with nice art by writer/artist John Byrne.

Try this link and see if that's what you're looking for.
    http://www.trekweb.com/articles/200...-Assignment-Earth-Comic-Book-MiniSeries.shtml