Lack of new Star Trek Audio Books

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Johnhead99, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Destructor

Destructor Commodore Commodore

It depends on how many copies they think they would sell vs. the price commanded by a known voice to read the book. So, would having Frakes read 'Titan' increase the predicted sales sufficiently to pay the price of having Frakes read it? I don't know, but probably not (since he probably commands a pretty high price by now- Sirtis would probably be affordable. But then most audiobooks are read by men).

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Tim Russ has been working quite a bit on fan films, and even came back to play Tuvok in a short Titan based scene that was used in some of the Exhibitions (or something along those lines). I would be more shocked if he wouldn't be willing to do some audio books, than if he wasn't. Marina Sirtis and Johnathan Frakes also seem pretty happy to still be related to Trek, so I wouldn't be surprised if one or both of them did them.
    Not sure about Ent or other Voy cast members, but most of the TOS actors seem pretty active in fandom, so I wouldn't be surprised if at least one or two of them came back.

3. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Did you get the "Vulcan's Soul" trilogy (from Recorded Books, not S&S Audio)?

Book 1: Exodus" by Josepha Sherman and Susan Shwartz, read by Richard Poe (aka Gul Evek), Recorded Books, 2004, 510 min.

Book 2: Exiles" by Josepha Sherman and Susan Shwartz, read by Richard Poe, Recorded Books, 2006, 630 min.

Book 3: Epiphany" by Josepha Sherman and Susan Shwartz, read by Richard Poe, Recorded Books, 2007, 694 min.

4. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I know it's not the same thing as an audiobook, but if you want your Trek fix, check out the Trek.fm podcast. I often listen to these on my way to work and they do have some great podcasts in the family.

5. seigezunt

seigezunt Vice Admiral Admiral

If you have any of the books as an ebook, on the iPhone there is a great text to voice reader that has a number of lifelike voices. I'd link, but I think that's against the rules. It's not great for great literature, but a computer voice seems appropriate for Trek books. I'm currently listen to the first Destiny book that way.

On the other hand, I always wished that Pocket Books would look the other way for something like a fan-sourced Librivox, where we'd read the out of print books for share. I know, fantasy.

6. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Ooh... I never thought of that. That would be a great way to listen to some stuff that IO I don't particularly feel like reading - especially if I could turn it up to 1.5 speed.

7. Danlav05

Danlav05 Commodore Commodore

8. borgboy

borgboy Commodore Commodore

God I'm so jealous. I wish we could get English versions of those books. The full cast version of DiW sounds amazing.

9. Danlav05

Danlav05 Commodore Commodore

Someone needs to have words with CBS. Margaret Clark mentioned audio revival talks!