Release schedule for remainder of 2012/2013?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by SicOne, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Jeff Mariotte wrote 2003's The Lost Era: Deny Thy Father, and William Leisner wrote 2009's TNG: Losing the Peace and the 2008 Myriad Universes novel A Less Perfect Union.

2. ronny

ronny Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Mariotte wrote what was probably my least favorite of the Lost Era books. I think it was an average book, just many other books in that series are favorites of mine.

I think Leisner's Losing the Peace is fantastic. I think at the time it came out I said something along the lines of the until LtP came out I felt the TNG relaunch consisted of some of my favorite ST authors writing what were not my favorite books by them. Leisner turned that series around for me. I'm looking forward to the new Leisner book.

3. James Swallow

James Swallow Writer Captain

It's the title title.

4. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

Thanks Sci and Ronny:bolian: I guess I do know William Leisner, as I read and enjoyed Losing the Peace.:alienblush:

5. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Yep. Sydney, Australia: last Thursday! :techman:

This listing is always useful:
    http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Upcoming_productions

6. SicOne

SicOne Commodore Commodore

That IS useful, Therin, thank you...the Trek FAQ 2.0 in particular looks interesting. Is the original FAQ worth picking up, guys?

7. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Amazon has that listed as The Shocks of Adversity now. I guess the title is still in flux.

8. Daddy Todd

Daddy Todd Commodore Commodore

I really, really like it. I recommend it highly. It's been my "in-between" reading for most of the last month -- when I didn't have anything else to read, I'd bring it up on the Nook and slam a couple chapters. Very, very fun.

I did pick out a few typos and mistakes, but nothing egregious (For example, Arthur W. Saha, the apparent inventor of the word "Trekkie," was identified as "Arthur Sasha," and it was suggested he worked for DAW books in the '60's. Since DAW didn't exist until 1972, that would've been a good trick! Little things like that.)

As it also pointed me to the Frank R. Paul-illustrated cover of the October, 1953 issue of Science-Fiction Plus (edited by dear old Uncle Hugo Gernsback) as one of the inspirations for Roddenberry & Jefferies when designing the U.S.S. Enterprise, I'll forgive the author his slips (my avatar is scanned from the cover of said magazine.)

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  9. William Leisner

William Leisner Scribbler Rear Admiral

The Shocks of Adversity should now be the final title.

10. cml898

cml898 Lieutenant Red Shirt

I know there is at least one big DS9 novel planned to celebrate the 20th anniversary, and while I do hope they do more than that I'll accept it gladly even if that's all we get. The dream however, is for some kind of anthology along the lines of the "Prophecy and Change" trade we got in 2003 except this time be primarily based in the years that were skipped when DS9 novels jumped several years forward to catch up with the rest of the 24th century lit. I think an anthology of short stories is the perfect way to fill that gap.

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Along with the stuff already mentioned Leisner also wrote 3 SNW stories, the SCE novella "Out of the Cocoon",and the Constellations short story "Ambition". Along with the TLE novel, Mariotte also wrote the SCE novella "No Surrender".
    Yeah, it's just marked as TNG so that would pretty much indicate to me that it's focused solely on the E-E crew. I think at this point anything marked as a Typhon Pact will probably focus on non-series specific characters or will be crossovers, and the stuff marked as a specific series will just focus on the characters from that series.

12. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Well, no, because we've had Typhon Pact novels that are strictly TNG or strictly Titan or whatever.

It's really quite simple: a book is labeled Typhon Pact if it is about the political alliance called the Typhon Pact or its member nations. If it's not about the Pact or its members (or at least not primarily about them), then it won't be called Typhon Pact, any more than a book would be labeled Klingon Empire if it weren't about Klingons. There's no special formula or code behind it; it's exactly what it says on the tin.

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, that's right. I forgot we have gotten TP books that did focus on a single cast. I was thinking they had all had characters from at least two series.

14. Fer

Fer Commander Red Shirt

Thanks for the info! I would update the list again, but the edit button has vanished. I guess it's only possible to edit posts within the first 24 hours.

15. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Just noticed that TOS: "Devil's Bargain" by Tony Daniel, released end of February for a March 2013 publication date, wasn't on Memory Alpha yet. Fixed.

16. KQuita

KQuita Lieutenant Red Shirt

Speaking of which, I sure wish they would bring the Klingon Empire series back.

17. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

The DRGIII book Star Trek: The Original Series: Allegiance in Exile, has a synopsis on Amazon:

Captain James T. Kirk embarks on a mission that he may soon regret in this all-new Original Series adventure from the New York Times bestselling author.

A beautiful green world, rich in fertile soil and temperate climate…a textbook Class-M planet that should be teeming with life. Scans show no life-signs, but there are refined metals, including those associated with a space-faring race…and a lone city. But where are all of the inhabitants? Captain James T. Kirk leads a landing party from the U.S.S. Enterprise, hoping to get some answers.

The away team discovers a city in ruins, covered by dust, utterly bereft of life. Tricorder readings indicate that this is no ancient metropolis—it has been deserted only for a year. And just beyond the citadel lies what appears to be an ancient spaceport…a graveyard of ships that have clearly been sabotaged.
    With these ruins too far from either the Klingon or the Romulan Empires, the Enterprise crew can only wonder: Who could have done this? And could this unnamed threat now pose an imminent danger to the Federation?

I am lookking forward to this one:bolian:

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sounds good to me!

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

20. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm definitely looking forward to getting Allegience in exile and the other TOs novels coming out next year!:cool::techman:And especially the Ds9 20th anniversary novel.