Thor 2 -Movie Discussion, News, Interviews, Pics till release 2013

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Aldo, May 6, 2012.

1. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

No, Jar-Jar very much presents the stereotype of an islander, pot-smoking, black man. The fact that the voice happened to be made up by a black man doesn't change the fact that the voice and characterization of Jar-Jar and his entire species is pretty darn stereotypical.

2. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Nope. And I missed the part where Jar Jar smokes pot. Jar Jar only represents blacks to those who have an... interesting view of blacks to say the least. Don't tell me... blacks walk like Gungans, right? :rolleyes: Those looking for racism on Lucas' part need to face the apparently inconceivable fact that the racism isn't coming from Lucas.

Jar Jar's voice is stereotypical of blacks, eh? :rofl: You don't get out much, do you?

The fact that the voice happened to be made up by a black man is not something you can just sweep under the rug. But if you concede that Best made it up, I guess that takes Lucas out of the conspiracy, doesn't it? So the theory becomes Best launching a self-hating racial attack just for the hell of it? Good luck with that one. It wasn't racist when Michael Winslow did it - because Lucas wasn't involved.

3. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm betting that, for example, African American liberal Patricia Williams is going to be shocked to learn she's a racist and a tea partier. Same with Boondocks creator Aaron McGruder.

:rolleyes: x 2

4. Set Harth

I'm talking about the Star Wars Tea Party, not the Tea Party.
    :rolleyes: x 4
    ( And yes, only whites can be racist. Just keep telling yourself that. )

5. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We're talking about racism towards African Americans. Are you really trying to claim that the two black authors cited are racist against their own race?

6. Set Harth

If someone hears "humble servant" and thinks "black", I think that's their problem.

7. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

This tangent is pointless, it'd be nice to get back to Thor. I wonder if thy're going to cast a Balder this time.

8. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

9. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

New rumor about Dr.Strange being in Thor 2 in some capacity.
    This makes it sound like, if it's true, a similar type of usage by the character like Natasha was in IM2.

They acknowledge that other rumors associated with the movie haven't borne out but hey, try this one on for size.

10. Mars

Mars Commander Red Shirt

I thought the Avengers was the sequel to Thor, Captain America, the Incredible Hulk, and Iron Man 2.

11. Mars

Mars Commander Red Shirt

Darth Vader has a black voice too, that of James Earl Jones. Anyways most black people I know aren't green amphibians that live in underwater cities.

12. Mars

Mars Commander Red Shirt

How would you like Jar Jar with a crisp Oxfordian British accent? We can't have any black voice actors now as that might be perceived as racist, sorry black man, I guess your out of a job.

13. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Yep.

14. Set Harth

Actually, only about 25-30% of the black people I know live in underwater cities.

15. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

But they're not green amphibeans? Well that's a relief...

16. Captain Craig

Some on location shots of a battle sequence that is scheduled to shoot for 10 days according to the article.

3 pictures at the link

Kat Dennings is officially back in the description of returning cast at the end of the articl. I know we had heard some back/forth on that for awhile.

17. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

18. Captain Craig

I know, right. I tried posting some battle sequence spy shots to get things back to something more...Thor.

19. Captain Craig

More pics, same site, new additions. This time I'll try posting some of the pics.

Sif in battle!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. StarTrek1701

StarTrek1701 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

For a race/species/civilization that can traverse galazies through their Rainbow Bridge, the Asgardians sure do love their short range weapons!