AMC's The Walking Dead Season 1 Discussion & Spoilers

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Oct 30, 2010.

1. USS Avenger

USS Avenger Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Very true. When a show is good its those little things are are important to you (or me in this case) that seem to stand out as not quite right. Its why my sister in law was never able to watch CSI (she is in forensics) and my wife can't watch most legal dramas (she is a lawyer). Me, I tend to see problems with weapons and so forth. Its not a big deal and I still enjoyed the show, can't wait for next week!

2. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

One thing I wonder about is whether the American public is going to be willing to stay with a show this grim for the long haul.

Most people are used to shows that have neat endings and even mythology series (Lost, the X-files, etc.) have moments of joy and/or levity to break up the drama and the scares. And a typical horror movie is usually over after only two hours.

TWD, on the other hand, while brilliant, is an unrelenting tale of dystopia, tragedy and horror. I'm not sure that an audience that expects happy endings is ready for five or more seasons of a story that makes Cormac McCarthy's 'the Road' look like an episode of the Courtship of Eddie's Father.

3. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm very curious to find out how you end a story like this. Other than the usual 'They get overrun and everyone becomes a zombie. The end.'

This is true. I mean hey, its zombies so I'm in for the duration. But if it turns into a weekly:

"I hear theres a safe zone in _____."

"Oh noes! Its been taken over by zombies/crazy survivalists! Run!"

Its not likely to last long.

4. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As of the current issue, the zombies have been around for over a year. As time passes, they have been getting weaker and easier to avoid. It appears they are slowly rotting away. It hasn't been stated explicitly, but it appears to me that humanity may be able to outlast them.

5. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't generally like zombie stories, so I happened across this by accident. This may seem odd to some to have as a high point, but I really like the fact that they actually filmed this in Atlanta! I used to live there, and have been down the streets he was on. Nothing is more annoying to me than when movies or TV shows make LA or southern California stand in for anywhere in the Southeast, since they look nothing alike. (As much as I like the Dukes of Hazzard, it irks me every time I see the countryside in that show.)

And someone mentioned on the first page of this thread about how the Southern accents were going to be atrocious. For most productions, I would agree, but they didn't stand out to me at all this time, so I guess they were close enough. (BTW, *nobody* talks like they do in that stupid Butterfinger commercial! :mad:)

6. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

The idea of a small island that had a town on it could be ideal. Just kill off and dispose of all zomibes and dead bodies then the island will be zomibe safe. Have strict protocols that account for everyone in the population every couple days or so, that way if someone dies they can be quickly disposed of. An island where you can farm and has a fresh water supply would be ideal. If you really needed something you can take an armed team to the mainland to get some supplies and everyone would have to checked for bites before they came back.

7. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Yeah. It's definitely going to be interesting if they can continue a zombie for a long period of time without it getting either tedious or completely ridiculous.

8. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Max Brooks' excellent "World War Z" is set looking back ten years after mankind "won" the war on the zombie hordes and has quite a few ideas on what to do globally to adapt to a world filled with the undead:

In particular, his zombies didn't need to breathe so the oceans are still teaming with them walking on the lower surface of the ocean, and they emerge on the beaches periodically to cause trouble - so no land mass of any size is truly safe. Others got bloated in the seawater and simply floated around for ages, making even fishing a hazard to the refugee ships, and still others simply climbed up archor lines and got onto the smaller ones. I'm not sure how the zombies work in this series yet but they do seem to breathe and gasp, suggesting respiration or at least the memory of it.
    Mark

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  9. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I would hope so. It would be pretty boring otherwise.

But earlier, in the hospital, he tried the landline, but didn't go rifling through coats or pocketbooks for a cell phone. It seemed odd to me.

True, but there was a generator at the police station. I would have at least tried the Internet.

I suppose you could say he was in shock, but you'd think the other guy would want to talk....

Nothing could be more unrelentingly grim than The Road.

10. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try but somehow I doubt the internet relays and cell towers would be working. Maybe if they could find a sat phone (where the hell would you find those?) they could try calling military or other states.

It says you're in Boston so I don't know if you were hit by that multi-state power outage a few years back but nothing was working.

11. watermelony2k

watermelony2k Vice Admiral Admiral

Bear McCreary is doing a blog post for each episode. He says that the main title will sound differently each week.

http://www.bearmccreary.com/blog/?p=4964#more-4964

Woah. Simultaneously without a long delay? I wonder how many people watched it if you factored in international ratings.

12. watermelony2k

watermelony2k Vice Admiral Admiral

Perhaps a short season order is actually a blessing because of this. Helps keep momentum in a season if there's no time for filler.

13. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

You do know the internet is more than just that box on your desk? If the phones don't work and the power in general is out, no way in hell is the internet going to be working.

14. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Yeah. Even if you manage to turn on a computer, the internet still has to come from somewhere.

15. IndyJones

IndyJones Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, it's not just a series of tubes. :lol:

Too soon? :shifty:

16. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Of course they wouldn't be working, but the idea is to show that stuff isn't working. All he did was try one landline; he didn't try a cell phone, didn't get static from a broadcast or Satellite radio, didn't watch snow on a TV, didn't get endless 'page not found' messages on the Web. All of these things would contribute to the growing knowledge that whatever has happened is widespread.

No, I had no idea. :rommie: I doubt if the police station uses dial up. They either have cable or a satellite dish, which are independent of the phones.

17. Tulin

Tulin Vice Admiral Admiral

With the most wonderful man in the world!

LMAO!!!!!

I cannot be THE ONLY person that read that as "Mel Brooks'...."

Hell, if the ignorant Americans can misconstrue the wonderful Martin Freeman and MORGAN Freeman, I can do THIS!

18. Aeon

Aeon Commander Red Shirt

Take a guess who Max Brooks' father is.

19. Tulin

Tulin Vice Admiral Admiral

With the most wonderful man in the world!
    Take a guess who Martin Freeman's father is.....

Errrr.......I got nothin'.

20. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

But the cable and satellite companies would still need to be up and running. Even if some of the employees survived the Zombie Apocalypse, I doubt they would stay at work just to make sure the internet is running.