Behind the scenes: When a fan visited the set

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by TrickyDickie, Jan 6, 2013.

1. TrickyDickie

TrickyDickie Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

These images are from an old magazine that documented the visit of Peggye (who added the 'e' to her name in high school "just to be different") Vickers to the set of Star Trek. She was a 27-year-old from Garland, Texas that Leonard Nimoy invited to the set and to his home. He even sent her a plane ticket! Pretty cool stuff. Images 7 and 8 are from the same shot but were put on two different pages of the magazine, so a small amount was lost in the crease. This material is from an old scrapbook that I bought about ten years ago and the magazines were not taken apart all that carefully by whoever made the scrapbook, but at least the images have survived. In the transporter platform shot, notice how strong Nimoy's resemblance is to Quinto.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nimoy = awesome. The proof is right there.

3. Sir Rhosis

Sir Rhosis Commodore Commodore

Great pics, thanks. Any captions to identify some of the behind the scenes folks in the pics. I recognized Shatner, of course, but not some of the others.

Sir Rhosis

4. jayrath

jayrath Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

These are fantastic! (I don't see Shatner, though, contrary to the comment above.) Dig that groovy bandana around Nimoy's neck!

5. Sir Rhosis

Sir Rhosis Commodore Commodore

I thought that was Shatner casually standing at Nimoy's table, chatting with themin one of the pics.

6. Dalen Quaice

Dalen Quaice Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

These are great! -- I love the pic of the Nimoy, the girl, and the Mitchell BNCR camera. That is the camera they used to shoot Trek! An amazing machine. It can shoot prestine 35mm film even today!

7. EnsignHarper

EnsignHarper Captain Captain

[​IMG]

The gentleman on the right is Joe Pevney

8. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Dang. this is one of those threads where the firewall at work blocks the pictures and I'll forget to check when I get home. :(

9. 22 Stars

22 Stars Commodore Commodore

Frobin, anytime that happens to me, i just email the link to my smartphone and look at the pics there. These are great, a real treasure!

10. Dalen Quaice

Can anyone identify the episode they are working on (in the Joe Pevney pic)? I'm wondering if this set tour happened around the time that Nimoy was promoting his record album in 1967. He toured many US universities as I recall.

11. EnsignHarper

EnsignHarper Captain Captain

I can't imagine Nimoy actually paid for the ticket, etc, so the record promo thing sounds good - remember that Nimoy's albums were on Desilu's in-house record label, Dot.

Was this in 16 magazine, Tiger Beat, or another one of those kinds of mags? 16 was all over Trek in the day - first for Nimoy, then for Koenig. my sister was 11/12/13/14 when Trek was running and had a subscription to 16.

12. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

More great photos. Many thanks.

13. alchemist

alchemist Captain Captain

Hi Sir Rhosis,

I believe these pictures are from the January 1968 TV Radio Mirror magazine. If so, then the person in the tenth photo from the top, standing next to Nimoy, is Dack Rambo.

At any rate, starting from the top picture, here's who I recognize:

1. Person on Nimoy's left is Sandy Nimoy.
    4. Teresa Victor (Nimoy's Assistant) is to Nimoy's left.
    11. Person seated behind and between Nimoy and Peggye is Jerry Finnerman. As already mentioned, Pevney is to Peggye's left.
    12. L to R: Peggye, Nimoy and Sandy.

BTW, Peggye Vickers was one of the presidents of the Leonard Nimoy Association of Fans (http://fanlore.org/wiki/Leonard_Nimoy_Association_of_Fans). Leonard was (and still is) very gracious to his clubs.

Regards,

Dave
    --

14. NTRPRZ

NTRPRZ Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Does anyone know if Ms. Vickers is still with us?

15. Dalen Quaice

Dack Rambo would have been around. He was doing a show at Desilu/Paramount called The Guns of Will Sonnett. If memory serves, it was on an adjacent soundstage. It may also have used some of the 40 Acres backlot at Desilu as well.

16. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Great stuff. You rarely see this kind of actor-fan interaction take place in productions back then or even since. Nimoy is quite the consummate gentleman. :) It also seems to affirm how much he believed in the show as being something special.

It's also terrific to see some "old guard" fans around on the forum, who can shed light on things long past. :D

17. TrickyDickie

TrickyDickie Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thanks for identifying the magazine. There wasn't anything on the pieces of it in the scrapbook to identify it.

18. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

Amazing pictures, gives us a great idea who it must have felt being there.

I couldn't help but notice the yet unprocessed "Burke Tube" (to become the tri-ladder shaft near engineering?) in the shot with the 35mm camera Matt Jefferies used so often in the series. I was previously only aware of these "Burke Chairs": http://www.cloudster.com/Sets&Vehicles/STEnterprise/Burke_Chair/BurkeChairsTop.htm

"Burke" really looks like ACME - a company making everything. ;)

Bob

19. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

Fantastic pictures......thank you.

20. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes, thanks for this!

Peggye looks a lot like Dana Delany in the episode of CHINA BEACH where she got an unflattering, period hairstyle. And the period was 1968, so there you go.:techman: