What do people want for the 50th?

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Captain Jed R., Oct 27, 2013.

1. Andymator

Andymator Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

There will absolutely be a third Abrams film, though he is only going to be involved as producer this time around. It'll be written by Orci and Kurtzman, and directed by somebody else.

As for when it'll be released, it's not unreasonable to expect that it'll be out by the 50th.

2. M-Red

M-Red Commander Red Shirt

A 3-hour made-for-TV movie (~130 minutes). A 2-hr would suffice, but I'm dreaming and being greedy....

Prime-Universe, one year after the destruction of Romulus (2388).

Set on Deep Space Nine. A Starfleet armada ---including the Enterprise-E, Voyager, and Titan, of course ---show up for the signing of a major treaty between the Federation and the Romulan Empire, one that will set the stage for a lasting peace.

A group of dissident Rommies go renegade and try to sabotage the Peace process, and Our Heroes must foil the plot and provide the Alpha Quadrant with a legacy of peace and stability.

It would bring everyone back together one last time and provide the true capstone to the 24th C. era Trek.

Not holding my breath...

3. M-Red

^ Not only would it be the final farewell for the TNG-DS9-VOY era, but because it focused on high politics, it could also plant the seeds for the next Trek series set down the road in the Prime-U narrative.

But mainly it would just be a fun reunion....pretty light with a clear moral to the story.

4. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The closest thing we're gonna see to that probably is a spazed up convention in Vegas with most of the cast members.

5. M-Red

Yeah, it's definitely not happening. Just dreamin'

6. Harbinger

Harbinger Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Living here, I'd almost have to try and make an effort to make it. I keep missing these conventions.

7. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My expectations for Doctor Who's 50th were and are much higher because Doctor Who has a series on the air. Star Trek has a movie every 3-4 years. Star Trek doesn't have the same opportunity as Doctor Who to do something big.

I'm not really sure what I want for the 50th. I was annoyed with Into Darkness regurgitating past Trek rather than doing something new, so I don't want Star Trek 3 to be reference overload like Enterprise season 4. I think all I want is a really good movie.

Or, less seriously, a sequel to Star Trek: The 25th Anniversary with all 5 crews brought together by some wacky, convoluted plot. And there had better be an NES port!

8. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    I'd like a new TV series. But for the 50th itself I just expect an awesome movie. Not too many easter eggs, please. That was fine in 2009 but a bit too much in STID.

9. MikeS

MikeS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

A NuTrek movie.
    A two-hour special similar to the 25th anniversary special.
    DS9 in HD.

In fact forget the first two. Just give me DS9 in HD.

10. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

That's exactly what we're getting, and it's a hell of a lot more than Who's 50th.

11. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Agreed, and although it's unlikely (impossible?), I think a new "Star Trek: The Experience" type attraction would be amazing, maybe going as far as something like the Harry Potter or Simpsons lands that have been incorporated into existing theme parks.

Something with a story that brings together the various series' and various rides. Basically STTE, but bigger :)

12. Harbinger

Harbinger Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I think there was a petition to recreate Quark's downtown but that fell through so I doubt we'd see another Star Trek: The Experience at least here. Maybe if one of the major theme parks picked it up.

13. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

14. Captain Jed R.

Captain Jed R. Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Is it really?

Doctor Who gets seven episodes of regular series (a little over half a regular series in other words), as well as a docudrama, an anniversary special that's feature length being shown in cinemas in 3D with previous cast members present (and the special also has associated "minisodes"), and a Christmas special.

For Trek's 50th, we're most likely getting a film (which is either good or bad depending on your opinion of rebooted Trek so far, but it's still a film with "Star Trek" on it, so counts). We might get DS9 in HD in Blu-Ray but Doctor Who already has all the last seven series on Blu-ray coming out so that's a match, and we don't know whether there's any "two hour special" yet. Nor am I holding my breath that there will be one.

15. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As neat as that would be, Jordan's not a hot tourist spot in the world I'd want to go to right now. You have Syrians killing each other to the north, the Palestinian/Israeli conflict to the west and Iraq/Iran to the east. Heck the refugees from Syria alone are threatening to destabilize the King's country.

16. MikeS

Has the DS9 thing been confirmed? :drool:

17. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Only DS9 and Voyager have not been converted to HD, it would be rather stupid to have TOS, TNG and Enterprise and not do the other two.

The problem is they'll likely take a break after TNG-R finishes production, which will be sometime into 2014. So DS9-R might not even begin work until 2016, months before the anniversary, season 1 could be released around that time.

18. MikeS

So it's not "exactly what we're getting", it's likely what we're getting.

Got my hopes up then.

19. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I'm not sure we're going to end up with either series in HD now. Sales have continued to erode for the TNG sets and the Enterprise sales look to be abysmal, to be nice.

But then, CBS probably made a mistake by putting TNG and Enterprise Blu-ray's out at the same time. I don't know who could've predicted that?

20. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

They might eventually, but it looks like there'll be a much larger gap before they start any work on the other series.