resurrecting Star Trek: Secret of Vulcan Fury as a animated TOS story

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by jefferiestubes8, Mar 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 22 Stars

22 Stars Commodore Commodore

Re: resurrecting Star Trek: Secret of Vulcan Fury as a animated TOS st

Hey guys, I am rm10019 on Trekmovie, and did indeed exchange emails with DC Fontana about this. At the time I was in Paramount in NY, wishing these sound recordings and script could somehow see the light of day.

Ms. Fontana indicated it was all trapped in legal loopholes, since she wrote it for Interplay, but Interplay was sold, and the new entity didn't have nor want rights to produce Trek computer games. All actual materials produced for the game would belong to this new company (somewhere I have a letter from them) but they can't/won't release them.

Even if someone bought the intellectual property and recordings for the game, they would need Paramount's ok to release it or re-work it. I am hoping that these recordings emerge someday. I would suggest the next step would be to contact the company that bought Interplay, and try to find out if they still have materials in storage, and where that might be.

Edit: The company I contacted back then seems to have been 'Titus Software' in France: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interplay_Entertainment

2. Yosef Lindell

Yosef Lindell Lieutenant Red Shirt

I was the one who originally posted about the audio tracks for the game possibly having been backed up on magnetic tapes and stored somewhere. I was never able to get any more information on this.

But after seeing this post, I searched around the internet a bit more. For those who are not aware, Interplay still exists, although what they are doing is somewhat unclear. They do have a very active forum with frequent responses from Interplay employees.

About a year ago, there was a post on SOVF, in which a current employee said that all the files from SOVF have been lost:

http://www.interplay.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=8501&hilit=secret+of+vulcan+fury

Now I don't want to believe this. It would be a tragedy. I think we may yet be able to get more detailed information from this person on the Interplay forum as to how he came by this knowledge and who else we can contact.

Is anyone up for this?

3. Danlav05

Danlav05 Commodore Commodore

There is a rumour also the material exists somewhere. I hope it's true - maybe someone backed up the discs/tapes knowing how important it is? Maybe the person on that forum got it wrong. Interplay exists, I'd love it if a talented person with knowledge and contacts could track it down. Yorktown: A Time To Heal starring George Takei has been revived.

This is a BRAND NEW STORY set during the original 5 year mission featuring the WHOLE cast written by DC Fontana and directed by Jon Lucas. Exploring the history of the Vulcan/Romulan conflict.

The last performances of DeForest Kelley, James Doohan and Mark Lenard as their characters. If not a game it could be an animated feature or even an audio drama?

Don't give up til it's over! As long as it exists (if it does) then chances are 10, 20, 30 years down the line, something could be done with it. And I don't mean put it in the garbage.

4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Would love to see an animated film come of it, but I realize the odds are slim.

5. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

What does DC Fontana have to save about this, now?

6. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I wonder if anyone has asked her if she has a copy of the script?

7. captainkirk

captainkirk Commodore Commodore

I'm surprised there hasn't been a fan-film version of it. Obviously whoever did it would have to know the story and would need voice actors who sounded like the original cast, but I'm sure that part wouldn't be too hard.

8. Danlav05

Danlav05 Commodore Commodore

I suggested the idea to James Cawley.

9. captainkirk

captainkirk Commodore Commodore

I know. But I was thinking of a CGI version Or something TAS style. I think Phase II is too busy right now with all their other episodes.

10. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Several years ago, she was trying to get it sold as a novel.
    Does she show up at Trek Cons anymore?

11. Sigokat

Sigokat Commander Red Shirt

I remember when I first saw the trailer for the game back in '98 or '99 time frame. I was so excited for it and was looking forward to playing it. When I found out it was not going to be released I was pretty upset as it looked like a ST game that would be different than anything we had seen at that point (and since I think).

An animated version would definitely be cool and I would buy it in a heartbeat, but I don't see it happening for reasons others have pointed out. We can all hope though.

12. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

They should hirer Doug Drexler and turn inti a CGI extravaganza:D

13. FreddyE

FreddyE Captain Captain

You know...we could also give JJ and Co a hint. Maybe they would be willing to try and aquire the audio tracks and do something with it.

14. Kadratis

Kadratis Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^ Doubtful. Why would they delve into old Trek? They have already made their intentions clear when it comes to their focus on the new universe, not the prime. :(

15. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Actually, the various new alien races created by Diane Duane for "The Kobayashi Alternative" were integrated into her ST novel, "Doctor's Orders".

16. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

New Trek kind of is old Trek, after a fashion. If it's a story that's ready-made and unknown by the fans, there's no reason it couldn't at least be looked at and adapted as a potential treatment. If either of the rumors about Cumberbatch being Khan or Gary Mitchel are true, that seems like Abrams doesn't have much of a problem delving into old Trek at all.

The only in-universe thing that I would surmise keeping him from doing it is Vulcan's destruction in the previous film. Any moons in orbit, hidden weapon platforms or otherwise, would have been sucked in by the red matter singularity or thrown out into deep space, never to be seen again.

17. MCKurland

MCKurland Lieutenant Red Shirt

I agree completely. Just dumping the final performances of these legends is highly illogical.

18. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Resurrecting Secret of Vulcan Fury? Sure, absolutely, why not?

Resurrecting a thread that's been inactive for five years? That we tend to discourage.
    itsdeadjim4.jpg

Mad Jack Wolfe likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.