8X01 "Deep Breath" Grading/Discussion)(SPOILERS!)

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Samurai8472, Aug 23, 2014.

?

Grade "Deep Breath"

Poll closed Oct 2, 2014.
  1. Scottish!

52 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Good

74 vote(s)
    47.4%
  3. Average

17 vote(s)
    10.9%
  4. Bad

8 vote(s)
    5.1%
  5. I miss Matt Smith

5 vote(s)
    3.2%
  1. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

In 2005 you could really stream television online yet and BBC America wasn't widely available.

2. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It was quite popular among fandom, much like Trek fandom in the 70's, and Firefly and MLP fandom is today. Is wasn't until Matt arrived that the BBC and BBCA decided to start actively working to promote the show and expand viewership and make the program more mainstream outside the UK.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  3. Mitty

Mitty Vice Admiral Admiral

Just watching (again). The scene where the Doctor talks about his face and being Scottish, it just gets more wonderful the more you watch it. I wonder if the reason behind it will become obvious later.

4. Velocity

Velocity Vice Admiral Admiral

Why was he excited about being Scottish when he is from Gallifrey and isn't even human? Confusing.

5. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

We did hear some talk from Moffat that Capaldi's Doctor is going to be tied into the two appearances that Capaldi made in the past in this universe (one on Doctor Who and one on Torchwood). It's been my theory that it will turn out both of those characters were the Doctor keeping and eye on things...or at least the cameo in the Pompeii episode will be the Doctor (I haven't seen Capaldi in Torchwood, so I'm not sure if that would be easily explainable as the Doctor).

6. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was under the impression that it was popular in the US when Tom Baker was the Doctor, unless you're referring to the continuation. In that case, I was under the impression that anyone with access to the internet or BBC America was watching Doctor Who when Eccleston took on the role.[/QUOTE]

It was quite popular among fandom, much like Trek fandom in the 70's, and Firefly and MLP fandom is today. Is wasn't until Matt arrived that the BBC and BBCA decided to start actively working to promote the show and expand viewership and make the program more mainstream outside the UK.

7. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I very much like Capaldi as the Doctor, but the episode was still typical Moffat nonsense.

8. Chaos Descending

Chaos Descending Vice Admiral Admiral

Dreadful. Possibly my least favorite episode since the show was relaunched in 2005.

9. Chaos Descending

Chaos Descending Vice Admiral Admiral

There is absolutely no chance at all that Capaldi's character from Torchwood could be the Doctor. That would be.... simply awful.

10. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

None of those seem like good reasons for him not to be excited. He gets excited over new things that pop up in regenerations all the time. Hair, ears, chins. So why not accents?

11. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Have to vote "Average".

I'm normally a big Moffat fan and defender, but for whatever reason this one just never really worked for me. The story felt clunky and nonsensical, the Victorian setting was way too familiar, and I found myself seriously overdosing on Moffat's patented quirky/clever dialogue. A little of that can always be fun, of course, but when the entire script is made up of that stuff, it gets old pretty fast.

More than anything though, I found myself wishing the story would just skip ahead already to Capaldi being the Doctor he will actually BE. I know it's part of the show's tradition, but we've seen the "post-regeneration crazy act" so many times by now, that I just don't feel the need to see it yet again, and certainly not through an entire episode (and besides, it's hard to top Matt Smith's Doctor for sheer, off the wall nuttiness anyway).

I will say I liked some of the longer and quieter scenes in the episode, and it was nice seeing the Doctor and Clara actually explore a place for awhile, instead of just frantically rushing about all the time. And I admit it was nice to see Smith again as well. I expected it would just be his voice on the other line; somehow I didn't expect we would actually see him in the costume again.

12. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

I just like to point out that Tennant isn't the first to say "You've redecorated.. I don't like it."

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPZTOE4VIOM[/yt]

13. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I like how people attack Moffat's style as being nonsense when RTD did the same crap and only worse. Drives me nuts.

14. Shanndee

Shanndee Commodore Commodore

That episode was what I needed to see. I had become a casual watcher, but with Capaldi on board I will become a regular viewer again.

15. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Went to a midnight showing at the local cineplex which was fun if too expensive. Cool to see it on the big screen though and lots of Doctor Who T-Shirts, a teen dressed like Matt Smith and a couple of cute TARDIS girls. Before the episode they had a funny video I hadn't seen before of Strax documenting the previous incarnations of the Doctor that got a lot of laughs from the audience. Looking at Youtube it's been out for a while I guess.

Moffat episodes are like 80's Italian giallo horror movies for me where atmosphere, inventive and garish visuals and ideas and melodrama are more important than narrative cohesion, logic and just making sense. With a less zany and subdued Capaldi and the creepy scenes where things are almost but not quite right this might be the closest to capturing what my dreams feel like for better or worse. And the droids are definitely nightmare fuel and their scenes with Clara were really disturbing.

16. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Haven't people been attacking RTD since 2005?

17. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

So was that a snippet of the new Doctor's theme we heard when he was in his room in the nightgown? It was pretty cool, but a lot peppier than I would have expected for Capaldi's Doctor.

Of course I guess it could have just been one of the new action themes Gold will be using.

18. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    It was. There were Doctor Who conventions, just like there were Star Trek conventions, and a lot of years it was the Whovians PBS had to thank for a noticeable chunk of their donations. Heaven forbid the classic era should ever get credit for being popular in North America. :rolleyes:

As for this new episode: I'll have to rewatch it, since I fell asleep partway through.

19. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Because Deep down in his cockles, he loves his motherinlaw the most.

20. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Please don't start calling him that!! His name is Peter Capaldi. He's not some D-grade US celebrity.