Kick-Ass 2 -Movie Discussion, News, Interviews, Pics. ect.

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, May 24, 2012.

1. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I'm not signaling you out or anything, I just enjoy discussing this film...and as of right now my friends haven't seen it yet :)

The first movie completely changed the dynamic of Dave and Katie's "relationship." In the comic after Dave explains to Katie that he's not really gay she gets pissed and beats him up. She only makes a small appearance in the second comic. So in that regard it does make sense Wadlow wanted to write her out, but in the context of the film series. It feels like a waste that they're relationship was so built up in the first movie only to throw it away like that.

There just wasn't enough time or space to play out some of the emotional beats for many of the characters. I did enjoy Justice Forever. Jim Carrey wasn't as cool as Nic Cage last go round, but I liked him better than I thought I would. And Night B***h was very cute, in hero wear and out.

When I went and saw it yesterday the theater was pretty sparse as well. So that does worry me a tad. Though I'm not sure if I really want a Kick-Ass 3, since this movie changed so much from the comics they'd have to majorly change the third comic to even make it into a sequel to this film.

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Lyndsey Fonesca is one of the major leads in Nikita, so that might be why she wasn't in much of Kick-Ass 2. It's been a while, but I think there were several episode of Nikita this season where she wasn't in much, this must be why.

3. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I could see her not being in Kick-Ass 2 much because of Nikita. But I doubt Nikita kept her from Kick-Ass 2, she was only on set for a few days of filming. Maybe that would keep her out of one episode...but not several.

4. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I believe Lyndsey said that she only had a very short time span for filming...I don't remember the exact time now, but it was an extremely small window. Also according to this IGN article from last year it is precisely to do with "Nikita". They were probably shooting close together.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2012/08/11/lyndsy-fonseca-talks-kick-ass-2

5. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I knew that the first film veered completely away from the comics regarding Dave and his girlfriend, but that was after I saw the first movie. I read the comic afterwards. I'm mixed about it. While the movie gave me the comic nerd fantasy that I wanted, the book Katie's reaction was probably more 'realistic'. But within the context of the film, after all that work put into getting them together, making them a couple in the first movie, I thought the relationship was giving too much short shrift in the second film. Granted, if Fonseca's schedule just didn't permit her much time for filming is one thing, but the film could've delved more into how Dave felt about losing her without really needing Katie physically in the film no more than she was.

I wouldn't mind seeing a Kick-Ass 3 film, though I doubt we'll get one if the box office doesn't drastically improve or if it's not saved by home video sales.

I read Kick Ass 2 a while back and the ending is much different than what we got in the film. Part of why I would like to see a Kick Ass 3 is to see where they would take this story (is saga too big a word?) since it veered wildly again from the comic.

6. Ayelbourne

Ayelbourne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I completely agree with those points and they are the very reason why the second book sucks so much. All of these points were already made in the first book.
    The only new thing that KA2 brings to the table is even more extreme violence.

They wanted to cash in on the success of the first book but instead of making it original and interesting, they took the easy and cheap way out by simply adding rape and toddler killing to the recipe and be content with that.
    That's just lazy.

7. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Kick Ass 2 and Nikita were both filmed in Toronto, so I figured it would be convenient for Fonseca to appear in the film.

8. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

9. Admiral_Young

Yes. It would appear that "Kick-Ass 2" will claim fourth place, finishing just under a hundred grand less than "Elysium" which seems to have clinched third spot and a big time drop off from it's opening weekend. This means that it has managed to pull in almost half of it's budget in opening weekend. The numbers I'm using are from Box Office Mojo's weekend estimates so they're not final I don't think.

10. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

I can't say I'm surprised. Based on the first film's box office, a sequel never should have been made. I'm glad it was though and it was best they didn't use the second comic's cliffhanger to end things.

11. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Kick-Ass 2 is just not for everyone, that's all. Just because you didn't like it doesn't mean it's lazy at all.

Spoilers for the comic follow:

The violence is supposed to be ramped up. Dave's world is slowly being destroyed around him because of who he chooses to be (Kick-Ass). The girl he likes is raped, his dad is killed, a guy he meets and looks up to is brutally killed as well (Colonel Stars). His idealized world is essentially destroyed.

That's the point, of Kick-Ass 2.

12. Shanndee

Shanndee Commodore Commodore

It is definitely not for everyone. I loved the first movie, and I was hugely disappointed with this one. In fact, I have to say I didn't like it at all.

I didn't care about any of the characters, the pacing was off, it was sadly lacking the dark humour of the first movie, and I was bored throughout. I hate saying this, because I did love the first one so much...but there is just nothing in this one to make me recommend it to anyone. The RT score of 28% seems fair to me.

13. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I saw both the first one and the new one for the first time this week and really couldn't say there was much difference between the two.

The biggest difference was the Banana Splits theme...

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I haven't seen KA 2 yet, so I can't comment on it, but I do remember being surprised when she seemed to be playing a reduced role in some earlier episodes of Nikita's season. I'll admit I don't remember them real well so it could have been less dramatic than I was thinking when I made my last post.

15. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

I saw it on Friday and it was good fun.

16. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

Kick-Ass 2 only made $13 million this weekend. On a $28 million budget I still think it will be a financial success.

17. Admiral_Young

I plan on seeing it this afternoon. The score was released digitally over the weekend as well, but a deluxe score from La La Land comes out I believe tomorrow.

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I really wish they would spread out the big releases over the year more. I probably would go see this if there weren't so many other movies I want to see more coming out around it.

19. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

Looks like Kick Ass took the top of the charts here in the UK.

20. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Remind me, what exactly is a profit according to studios? Is it just making back your production budget? Or is it making back twice of your production budget?

If it's the latter, KA2 may not turn a profit till it hits video, if that.