Marvel to make a Doctor Strange movie?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captaindemotion, Aug 1, 2011.

1. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

That's the guy. I don't think Doc Strange was ever conventionally handsome. He was exotic and aloof and a bit condescending, as well as of indeterminate-but-not-young age. I think Callis could pull it off.

2. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Dr. Strange movie? Could be interesting....

3. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

The comics art definitely depicts him as pretty conventionally handsome - square jaw, nice cheekbones, regular features, striking blue eyes - he sure aint' Quasimodo!

And he's also exotic, aloof, condescending and looks like he must be in his 40s. But what does any of that have to do with him being conventionally handsome?

Anyway, Callis is a TV actor and doesn't have the public awareness to be offered the role.

4. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Clooney kind of looks exotic.

5. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

True, but Marvel doesn't seem to be too hung up on casting Big Name Movie Stars in their films. Chris Hemsworth was pretty much unknown before THOR, aside from a brief appearance in STAR TREK, and even Chris Evans is hardly a household name . . .

Robert Downey Jr. is the exception, and even he was making a comeback of sorts in IRON MAN.

6. RJDiogenes

Neither is Callis. I don't know about these days, but Strange was never depicted as the typical Superman type character-- more elongated and gaunt, especially by artists like Ditko, Russell and Smith (although, I suppose, he was drawn more typically heroic in Defenders, but Buscema pretty much had a one-look-fits-all style). I just Googled Callis, and I think his look would be perfect.

Nothing, just that I think Callis could pull that off perfectly.

He wouldn't be the first actor to move to movies from TV; and Doc Strange isn't exactly the most famous comic book character. I don't think he's even had his own book in decades.

7. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah Doc has had a slew of mini-series over the years and has been a main character on both volumes of "New Avengers" for the last five yeas but hasn't had his ongoing book in a long time. I think there was talk about JMS doing a "Doctor Strange" ongoing before he left to go to DC and after the mini-series he did but that went no where.

George Clooney would be interesting, James Callis if they wanted to do an origin film (which they most likely will do). I still think Patrick Dempsey is the best choice. I think he could handle the complexity of the role while bringing his own charm and charasmia to it as well. Plus he's been a TV Doctor before obviously and can bring that to the role.

I once postulated that Leo DiCaprio would be be an out of the box suggestion to play Stephen Strange after I saw him in "Inception". I think he'd be great, others didn't agree with me so much lol.

8. Obiwanshinobi

I'm sure this has been tossed around many times before, but how about David Tennant? He will be a "doctor" again!

9. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

10. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^^^
    Impressive.

11. Obiwanshinobi

The poster kind of makes it look like an Asylum produced movie. Also I can't tell if that's Johnny Depp or not.

12. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I dunno, I think he's as much a superhero as Batman. And some of the stunts he pulls off and technology he uses belong in realm of the fantastic. But this is pretty much off-topic.

I think a younger Daniel Day-Lewis might also have been a good Dr Strange (not that he'd ever do it).

13. Agenda

Agenda Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

IMO, superheroes tend to have unique costumes. That's what mainly distinguishes them from guys like Bond and Indiana Jones - even more than the presence of super powers.

14. RJDiogenes

I don't know if his acting style would be up to it, but that guy who plays Duke on Haven sure has a Doctor Strange-shaped head. :rommie:

15. Temis the Vorta

The good doctor isn't that fugly! :rommie:

16. RJDiogenes

Heh. I don't think that guy is ugly. But Doctor Strange should look a bit on the weird side. :rommie:

17. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

The finalized script for Doctor Strange has been finished. Could this be the "unnamed Marvel-1" film they have on the schedule for 2013?
    This thread started with the announcement of working on the script and now it's finished and turned in it seems.

18. Obiwanshinobi

Eye of Agamatto!

19. Temis the Vorta

By the Hoary Hosts of Hoggoth!!!! :eek:

20. nvek86

nvek86 Commander Red Shirt

Also interesting is that in the link they mention that Dr. Strange will probably have a smaller budget than the other recent Marvel films.